Some Louisiana universities to test new admission standards

GSU enrollment gets bump from legislation

GRAMBLING – More students will now have the opportunity to attend Grambling State University thanks to two pieces of legislation recently passed by the Louisiana State Legislature.

Students, who previously would have had to enroll at a community college to complete their remedial courses before attending a four-year university, can now enroll at Grambling, Southern University and A&M College or Southern University at New Orleans instead. The Louisiana Board of Regents has voted to test this policy for two years before they vote on whether to make it permanent.

“These policy changes allow us to provide access to a four-year degree for many more students that want to attend Grambling State University,” said Damon Wade, vice president of institutional effectiveness and enrollment management. “The policy change also affords us the opportunity to maintain our mission of affording each student the opportunity to pursue any program of study provided that the student makes reasonable progress and demonstrates that progress in standard ways.” Wade went on to state that this new legislation could increase fall 2015 enrollment by an additional 300 students.

Is this worth bragging on? Not all remedial students will struggle but asking folks who teach will tell you it's an uphill battle and some are not ready for college and it's a waste of time but money is the bottom line so you can get these kids as freshmen to boost enrollment instead of waiting for the community college system to send them back

However, there are loopholes as I've seen kids denied admission where I'm at but as long as they clear NCAA clearinghouse other schools will let them in under regular standards

Is this worth bragging on? Not all remedial students will struggle but asking folks who teach will tell you it's an uphill battle and some are not ready for college and it's a waste of time but money is the bottom line so you can get these kids as freshmen to boost enrollment instead of waiting for the community college system to send them back

However, there are loopholes as I've seen kids denied admission where I'm at but as long as they clear NCAA clearinghouse other schools will let them in under regular standards

To be honest I don't think it's difficult. In Louisiana ULM and Tech maintain "bridge programs" that allow them to enroll students. Another point is that some Louisiana community colleges are offering these students a 2 year degree and the students are leaving going to colleges back home or PWCs....

I remember my homeboy getting enrolled in remedial math at SU based on his ACT score, and he later changed the course to Calculus after his counselor signed the slip. He made all As in math growing up and continued through college and now has multiple engineering degrees and a masters in math now.

I remember my homeboy getting enrolled in remedial math at SU based on his ACT score, and he later changed the course to Calculus after his counselor signed the slip. He made all As in math growing up and continued through college and now has multiple engineering degrees and a masters in math now.

One of my SHIPs came to GSU in remdial studies and is now a principal with with an Ed.D and PhD.

Some people just aren't good test takers.

Exactly, folks are going to one day see that these standardized tests are just a huge cash grab and have nothing to do with academic success in school.

I don't know about Grambling, but last year the SU system started the bridge program within the system, ,students that cannot get into SUBR/SUNO, will take classes/ remedial courses online thru SU Shreveport which is a two year college, while they are on campus at the schools. So the.comment above about remedial classes at SU,has nothing to.do with SUBR OR SUNO, ADMITTING STUDENTS not prepared. Because that issue was solve with the program in the system

And as.I stated before if these students were gaining admission to other SWAC universities and other state university's I don't think remedial was the issue. It was the Board of regent not doing it research on admissions for the state universities and when neighboring states started to gain Louisiana students that could not make it into LA universities IT BECAME AN ISSUE

Anytime a State like Louisiana set the standards of admissions that high for its colleges and universities, there definitely will be a drop in enrollment statewide. Until southern states can fix the performance of their high schools, admission standards at colleges and universities would have to remain low to maintain some type of adequate enrollment.

Anytime a State like Louisiana set the standards of admissions that high for its colleges and universities, there definitely will be a drop in enrollment statewide. Until southern states can fix the performance of their high schools, admission standards at colleges and universities would have to remain low to maintain some type of adequate enrollment.
And that can't be done until you get leadership from the Governor and State Superintendent that truly cares about improving public school performance and not just lining their pockets by pushing privately-owned charter schools and private schools.

Back