Some Louisiana universities to test new admission standards

MetroPhillyTiger

The new policy isn’t as far-reaching as some had been aiming for, but supporters say it could help more students go to college.

Under the new policy, four-year regional institutions will be able to admit students who require a developmental, or remedial, course. Currently, a student who scores on the ACT below an 18 in English or a 19 in math can’t enroll at the state’s public universities without a waiver because he or she would have to take a remedial course at a two-year college. The standards are a minimum, so individually, colleges could opt out of the new provision.

Under the new policy, which is being tested for two years, remedial courses will still be offered on community college campuses — except for students of the state’s historically black colleges, Southern University, Southern University New Orleans and Grambling State University. The HBCUs will be able to offer remedial courses on their own campuses.

Castille said HBCUs in Louisiana border states Mississippi and Texas have lower minimum admissions requirements. Without a change here, students end up going to Jackson State or Texas Southern, he said.

How he gonna' try to throw JSU and TSU under the bus like that?o_O

Especially when that is incorrect information. Texas Southern does not offer remedial courses and has one of the highest admission requirements in the SWAC. ;) He can sell that story to somebody else.

TSU Admission requirements:

• High School Students - An official transcript showing a minimum 2.5 grade point average on a 4.0 point scale, with SAT score of 820 or higher (critical reading and math sections only) or ACT composite score of 17 or higher.
Source: http://em.tsu.edu/admissions/index.php

The new policy isn’t as far-reaching as some had been aiming for, but supporters say it could help more students go to college.

Under the new policy, four-year regional institutions will be able to admit students who require a developmental, or remedial, course. Currently, a student who scores on the ACT below an 18 in English or a 19 in math can’t enroll at the state’s public universities without a waiver because he or she would have to take a remedial course at a two-year college. The standards are a minimum, so individually, colleges could opt out of the new provision.

Under the new policy, which is being tested for two years, remedial courses will still be offered on community college campuses — except for students of the state’s historically black colleges, Southern University, Southern University New Orleans and Grambling State University. The HBCUs will be able to offer remedial courses on their own campuses.

Castille said HBCUs in Louisiana border states Mississippi and Texas have lower minimum admissions requirements. Without a change here, students end up going to Jackson State or Texas Southern, he said.

How he gonna' try to throw JSU and TSU under the bus like that?o_O
It wasn't really throwing them under the bus, maybe those were the top 2 destinations for students that didn't qualify for SU.

Especially when that is incorrect information. Texas Southern does not offer remedial courses and has one of the highest admission requirements in the SWAC. ;) He can sell that story to somebody else.

TSU Admission requirements:

• High School Students - An official transcript showing a minimum 2.5 grade point average on a 4.0 point scale, with SAT score of 820 or higher (critical reading and math sections only) or ACT composite score of 17 or higher.
Source: http://em.tsu.edu/admissions/index.php
The guy was correct in terms of the ACT/SAT score requirements. Your GPA requirements are higher than ours, but our test score requirement is tougher. TXSU requires a 17-composite ACT score.. If you scored that on Math or English, you wouldn't be able to attend SU unless you received a waiver. Even if the student had a 3.0 GPA and scored a 20 for their composite score, they still couldn't attend SU if they scored a 17 in English and an 18 in Math without a waiver. Those students either took remedial courses at BRCC, or chose to go to out-of-state schools. He didn't say that TXSU and JSU students take remedial classes, he said those were 2 destinations those students would choose. Click on the link, and you'll see that even if you made a 23 composite score(making a 30 in the other 2 subjects), you still couldn't score below that 18 and 19 level in English and Math.

SUBR Admission Requirements:

Minimum Overall High School GPA of 2.0

And Require no developmental courses by having a minimum ACT English Score of 18 and Math Score of 19 (SAT Verbal score of 450 and SAT Math Score of 460)

And One of the following: core GPA of 2.0 or ACT Composite score of 20 (SAT Composite of 940).

http://www.subr.edu/index.cfm/page/325/n/1524

Last edited:
It wasn't really throwing them under the bus, maybe those were the top 2 destinations for students that didn't qualify for SU.

Yes he did 'cause he left out other MS universities or the state as a whole...he just chose JSU (at least) for some reason to pick on. He could have said Alcorn, Valley, let alone USM. The admission standards are for all state schools, not just for JSU.

The MS IHL sets the admission standards in MS.

http://www.mississippi.edu/admissions/
You can be admitted to a Mississippi university by meeting any of the following criteria:

arrow.png
Complete the College Preparatory Curriculum (CPC) with a minimum 3.2 high school grade point average (GPA) on the CPC; or

arrow.png
Complete the College Preparatory Curriculum (CPC) with a minimum 2.50 high school GPA on the CPC or a class rank in the top 50%, and a score of 16 or higher on the ACT* (Composite); or

arrow.png
Complete the College Preparatory Curriculum (CPC) with a minimum 2.00 high school GPA on the CPC and a score of 18 or higher on the ACT* (Composite); or

arrow.png
Satisfy the NCAA standards for student athletes who are "full-qualifiers" or "academic redshirts" under Division I guidelines; or

arrow.png
Students who do not meet the above criteria are nonetheless eligible for admission. Such students must participate, however, in an on-campus placement process at the university of their choice.

Yes he did 'cause he left out other MS universities or the state as a whole...he just chose JSU (at least) for some reason to pick on. He could have said Alcorn, Valley, let alone USM. The admission standards are for all state schools, not just for JSU.

You can be admitted to a Mississippi university by meeting any of the following criteria:

arrow.png
Complete the College Preparatory Curriculum (CPC) with a minimum 3.2 high school grade point average (GPA) on the CPC; or

arrow.png
Complete the College Preparatory Curriculum (CPC) with a minimum 2.50 high school GPA on the CPC or a class rank in the top 50%, and a score of 16 or higher on the ACT* (Composite); or

arrow.png
Complete the College Preparatory Curriculum (CPC) with a minimum 2.00 high school GPA on the CPC and a score of 18 or higher on the ACT* (Composite); or

arrow.png
Satisfy the NCAA standards for student athletes who are "full-qualifiers" or "academic redshirts" under Division I guidelines; or

arrow.png
Students who do not meet the above criteria are nonetheless eligible for admission. Such students must participate, however, in an on-campus placement process at the university of their choice.
I was just about to say Mississippi college standards are all the same for all eight institutions.

arrow.png

arrow.png

arrow.png

arrow.png

arrow.png
But if Texas Southern and Jackson State are two top destinations for students that had to pass on SU, why mention other schools? He chose 2 schools that he knew folks would be familiar with. You're reading too much into it. He just used them as a point to show how other HBCUs in the region don't have the same standards as us and how we miss out on keeping minority students in-state for college by limiting their options with those standards.

I am finally glad, the Regents saw the light, JSU, TXSU and many HBCU enrollments have grown because of harder admission standards,at SU.. BUT GUESS WHAT, ITS NOT HAPPENING ANYMORE..... I GUARANTEE YOU. YOU WILL START SEEING LARGER ENROLLMENTS IN THE SU SYSTEM..SOON

Also SUBR or SUNO will not be doing remedial courses, SU last year started the SU connection program with SU Shreveport. Which is a two year college, students could be on SUBR OR SUNO CAMPUS, TAKING REMEDIAL COURSES, ONLINE thur SUSLA,,,JUST TO LET THE FACTS BE KNOWN...

But if Texas Southern and Jackson State are two top destinations for students that had to pass on SU, why mention other schools? He chose 2 schools that he knew folks would be familiar with. You're reading too much into it. He just used them as a point to show how other HBCUs in the region don't have the same standards as us and how we miss out on keeping minority students in-state for college by limiting their options with those standards.

Plausible, but also misleading.

I am finally glad, the Regents saw the light, JSU, TXSU and many HBCU enrollments have grown because of harder admission standards,at SU...

That's a little pretentious don't you think? I'm pretty sure you can correlate increased black enrollment at non HBCUs in La more so than black kids running to MS or TX to reduced enrollment at SU.

No not really, the SU ENROLLMENT MANAGEMENT TEAM, DID A PRESENTATION, NOT TO LONG AGO,, THAT BACKED UP, WHAT WAS SAID, and JSU AND TXSU, were the two top choices that students said they were attending because they were not accepted into SU.. END OF STORY...

I am just happy that SU will be able to get students that are leaving for other hbcus because the could not get into SU,..and the playing field is NOW EVEN...

No not really, the SU ENROLLMENT MANAGEMENT TEAM, DID A PRESENTATION, NOT TO LONG AGO,, THAT BACKED UP, WHAT WAS SAID, and JSU AND TXSU, were the two top choices that students said they were attending because they were not accepted into SU.. END OF STORY...

I am just happy that SU will be able to get students that are leaving for other hbcus because the could not get into SU,..and the playing field is NOW EVEN...

Also, SU has setup an Inter-Institutional Cooperative Program with BRCC so students in certain programs can seamlessly transfer from BRCC to SUBR.

http://theadvocate.com/news/10311213-123/southern-and-baton-rouge-community

Well...good luck with that. Folks make too much of enrollment though. Graduation rate is more important but I guess higher enrollment is easier for folks to visualize and makes them think something good is happening.

LMAO, SOME PEOPLE .. I HAVE BEEN A ONLOOKER ON THIS BOARD FOR A MIN,, AND JSU, FOR SEVERAL YEARS HAVE TALK ABOUT ENROLLMENT GROWTH, ENROLLMENT GROWTH. AND HOW SU WAS THIS AND THAT..

NOW THAT IT'S BEEN REPORTED THAT STUDENTS THAT COULD NOT GET INTO SU, WENT TO JSU OR TXSU,,ITS NOW ABOUT GRAD, AND RRETENTION RATE SMHHHHHHHHHHHH...

LMAO, SOME PEOPLE .. I HAVE BEEN A ONLOOKER ON THIS BOARD FOR VA MIBR,, AND JSU, FOR SEVERAL YEARS HAVE TALK ABOUT ENROLLMENT GROWTH, ENROLLMENT GROWTH. NOW THAT AND HOW SU WAD THIS AND THAT,

NOW THAT IT'S BEEN REPORTED THAT STUDENTS THAT COULD NOT GET INTO SU, WENT TO JSU OR TXSU,,ITS NOW ABOUT GRAD, AND RRETENTION RATE SMHHHHHHHHHHHH...

ok.

Last edited:
LMAO, SOME PEOPLE .. I HAVE BEEN A ONLOOKER ON THIS BOARD FOR A MIN,, AND JSU, FOR SEVERAL YEARS HAVE TALK ABOUT ENROLLMENT GROWTH, ENROLLMENT GROWTH. AND HOW SU WAS THIS AND THAT..

:) Don't hate on me, this is what the La Board of Regents wanted...“The goal is to get more graduates,” said Regents chairman Roy Martin, of Alexandria. I'm just saying the same thing...for all HBCUs.

If you don't understand why you should be concerned about grad rates, look at this...
https://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/education/higher-education/college-score-card
JSU Grad rate: 38%, SUBR Grad rate 31%, Alcorn 34%, SELA Grad rate 35%, NWSU Grad rate 38%, LSU BR 67%, U of MS 58%, ...
...now do you get it?

Last edited:
I never was hating,, I was just talking about what was fact, JSU, TXSU, ALONG WITH OTHER HBCUS, GOT ALOT OF SU REJECTS, CLEAR AS DAY,,AND MANY ON THESE BOARD SEEM TO TALK ABOUT THEIR ENROLLMENT GROWTH, WHILE TALKING ABOUT SU ENROLLMENT DECLINE,..BEFORE DOING YOUR RESEARCH.
BUT AGAIN, WE ALL HAVE WORK TO DO.. I.was just stating, what I have seen on this board with people making FALSE STATEMENTS.OR NOT KNOWING WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT, IN TERMS OF WHY, SU ENROLLMENT WAS DECLINING,

I never was hating,, I was just talking about what was fact, JSU, TXSU, ALONG WITH OTHER HBCUS, GOT ALOT OF SU REJECTS, CLEAR AS DAY,,AND MANY ON THESE BOARD SEEM TO TALK ABOUT THEIR ENROLLMENT GROWTH, WHILE TALKING ABOUT SU ENROLLMENT DECLINE,..BEFORE DOING YOUR RESEARCH.
BUT AGAIN, WE ALL HAVE WORK TO DO.. I.was just stating, what I have seen on this board with people making FALSE STATEMENTS.OR NOT KNOWING WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT, IN TERMS OF WHY, SU ENROLLMENT WAS DECLINING,

All right then, what year did SU change their admission standards and how many students were enrolled a SU, JSU, and TSU before that year...and afterwards?

Last edited:
Well...good luck with that. Folks make too much of enrollment though. Graduation rate is more important but I guess higher enrollment is easier for folks to visualize and makes them think something good is happening.
Both are equally important. You want more kids to choose your school and you want them to graduate.

2013 Graduation Rates 6 years- 4 years
1) Jackson St 38.5- 16.6
2) Prairie View 36.5- 11.1
3) Alcorn St 34.2-18.4
4) Southern U. 31.8- 8.1
5) Grambling 30.9- 7.1
6) Alabama A&M 29.1-10.0
7) Mississippi V. 26.0- 10.5
8) Alabama State 25.2- 8.8
9) Arkansas PB 21.4- 5.6
10) Texas Southern 16.3- 6.4

http://collegecompletion.chronicle.com/state/#state=TX&sector=public_four
(input state or school to locate percentages)
*list is in 6 year grad rate order and not in over all percentage order*

Both are equally important. You want more
kids to choose your school and you want them to graduate.

True.

2013 Graduation Rates 6 years- 4 years

http://collegecompletion.chronicle.com/state/#state=TX&sector=public_four
(input state or school to locate percentages)
*list is in 6 year grad rate order and not in over all percentage order*

Mane...Bobby Jindal must be hammering everybody in La, even white folks grad rate is below 50%. And white folks in Ark are at 45%?. If these dumb folks don't stop electing these crazy republicans, they're going to turn around and everybody...even black folks...will be leaving them behind in education.

Back