smh.. might as well post it...

Re: Jacobs State University?

Damn. Who in the hell put this dum'ass in power then?

Mississippi Board of Education.

Ta, DAT, Ching!!
drum.gif

I say someone should take the state back to court for not properly distributing the Ayers case $503 million over 17 years. After the court settlement the state placed that "certain percentage of minority enrollment" qualification on the money disbursements.....thus the schools never have enough minorities to even get the money....Give the HBCU's the money they are owed then let's see how they fair......( I posted some background info below)

http://m.usatoday.com/detail.jsp?key=1085570&rc=News

Gov. Haley Barbour's proposal to merge Mississippi's three public historically black universities is sparking debate over the racial undertones it presents and raising new questions over the state's underfunding of those colleges.

Barbour has proposed combining the smaller Mississippi Valley State and Alcorn State universities into Jackson State University. The campuses would continue to exist, he said.

The Republican made the recommendation last month as part of his budget proposal for fiscal 2011, but has acknowledged savings would not be realized for at least a year.

Many lawmakers, including leaders of the Legislative Black Caucus, have vowed to block any merger that involves the state's historically black colleges.

"I am opposed to any measure that would reduce access and opportunity to quality education at any level," said House Universities and Colleges Committee Chair Kelvin Buck, a Democrat.

Many of the questions about the proposal focus on its legality under the 2002 Ayers settlement, which ended a 27-year-old federal lawsuit filed in 1975 by the late Jake Ayers Sr., the father of a Jackson State University student.
The lawsuit alleged that the state of Mississippi, through its funding process discriminated against Alcorn State, Jackson State and Valley State.

In 1992, the U.S. Supreme Court agreed that the state still had vestiges of segregation in its university system and sent the case to the lower courts to arrange a settlement. Under the deal, the Mississippi Legislature agreed to provide $503 million to the three colleges over 17 years.
U.S. Rep. Bennie Thompson, a plaintiff in the lawsuit, said Barbour's proposal goes against everything the state has been trying to accomplish since agreeing to the Ayers settlement.

"In the eyes of a lot of Americans it appears that the black colleges are being attacked once more," he said.

I just read through that power point by Mason. :smh::smh:
I almost refuse to believe that this is really his plan.

out of three, one.........the jacobians???????????

wow!

as far as transferring.... ive heard of not being released to any school in the conference... never heard of any in state school.... an athlete can always leave, they would just have to sit out longer if not released.....HBCUs as well as other universitys get money based on enrollment.... of course a University with 15,000 students is going to get more money than a school with 2,000 students.
LSU wont release any athletes to a in state school. Saban started that and Miles has continued it.

Re: Fugg Ronald Mason.........THA TRUTH!!

His arse is toast because people in West Jackson never really trusted him in the first place.
Now I see why.:upset::mad::kaioken::argue2:

JSU head touts Merger behind closed doors

A proposal to merge Mississippi's three historically black universities apparently has been getting a behind-the-scenes push from an unexpected proponent: Jackson State president Ronald Mason Jr.

Mason has been talking to state lawmakers about a proposal that would create one university out of Jackson State, Alcorn State and Mississippi Valley State.
Gov. Haley Barbour has recommended the schools merge to save the state money.
Mason, JSU president since Feb. 1, 2000, publicly spoke against the proposal. But his 34-page presentation obtained by The Clarion-Ledger suggests creating another university - dubbed Jacobs State University - is a better alternative than letting "financially weak ASU, MVSU, JSU become weaker" in the state's budget crisis

Even though I can't stand Jackson State I have to be united with you guys as an HBCU alum – this idea is horrible. The alumni need to run Mason's azz out of Mississippi for this one. There is too much history on all three of those campuses J State, Alcorn and Valley to even consider a merger. And this guy wants to change the school's name? WTF? Wow, talk about power greedy acting negroes! :shame:

Last edited:
There are rumors flying everywhere, but this is what I heard from my cousin who works in Florida's Institute of higher learning. "Donna Oliver, Valleys prez was put there because she will not but up a good fight for valley, Alcorn's prez who just stepped down knew about this and could and didn't want to face the brave alums, plus he is sick. Mason who has much power and respect nationwide, meet with Barbour about this years ago. What we must be aware of is the senate votes. Majority of those white senators don't want valley state to exist,especially the ones in the delta. If Valley goes so does Greenwood and Itta Bena because of the number of jobs influenced by valley in that area.

If this merger happens, there will only be one band, one football team and other sports. Some players at valley are already concerned about their future, this can easily cause some of those kids not to come or maybe transfer someone else.

I know the JSU alumni will not go for the name change and it will never ever happen. Those black folk in Jackson will get yo' goat (lol) and sue you to the cows come home. If valley and Alcorn stick with us we all will be o.k.

Are the Valley alums organized nationwide? There are plenty of them here in St. Louis, but they dont do anything. It has to be all the alums.

I agree Rob. Why can't we close some of these PWC's? Why must we be the ones who always assimilate into society? Our schools were founded with a purpose. We didn't create the disparity in our communities. In all honesty, these state PWC's are the ones turning out the lowest educated folks in society. We buy into the belief that their schools are hard because they give you busy work. That's not hard, that being lazy so their professors don't have to teach.

Jackson State is an urban school with its on mission, isn't Alcorn an 1890 school with a seperate misson, i'm not sure about Valley since it is newer than the other two. I could see the talk of mergering Valley & Delta State, why isn't their talk about that? Mississippi Valley Delta State Univ., the only fight would be over who would be in control.

He is so screwed :lol: ....

I wont even look at it from the Valley angle... the fact that he thought it would be a good idea to change the name of the school to Jacobs State.... :shame:

And then you are rollin with Harbour on top of that... :shame:

MSU study suggests programs merged

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20100218/NEWS/2180338/MSU+study+suggests+programs+merged

Mississippi State University soon could merge two colleges, eliminate 17 underused programs and create an incentive program in which as many as 800 employees will be eligible to retire.

University leaders say state funding for Mississippi's eight public universities could shrink by 23 percent - $115 million - over the next two years because of the budget crisis.

Overall, universities estimated the budget cuts would mean about 390 layoffs, the loss of more than 650 unfilled positions and the elimination of 33 departments by fiscal 2013.

Now the thing about these schools is that they already have relatively well-staffed universities so they can survive some layoffs. They also have endowments that can help! But will schools like JSU, Valley and Alcorn do when the already understaffed becomes even more understaffed. One of the biggest gripes about HBCUs is customer service. Something is going to have to save us (lottery or something). While many people are dogging Mason out, he may be only one who truly sees what is coming when our budgets continue to decrease with the costs of everything going up!

Mason is one sick dude. :shame: Wow, no wonder he let James Bell stuck around. It was probably part of his plan in some sick, sneaky way.

Hey Robber, send GR to go shake President Mason's hand and take a picture of it. :shame:

Mason has to go. :upset: No way would I trust him if I were yall.

He is so screwed :lol: ....

I wont even look at it from the Valley angle... the fact that he thought it would be a good idea to change the name of the school to Jacobs State.... :shame:

And then you are rollin with Harbour on top of that... :shame:

This was not a pretty night for him.

Halftime with Mason.

I was going to blend this moment in with the upcoming hoops blog, but I figured it might deserve its own post.

Last night at halftime, JSU president Ronald Mason came out at halftime with a group of people to talk about raising money for Haiti. Soon as he steps on the court, he gets booed. LOUDLY. And it didn’t stop…

Back