Question for Lakers' fan

Kendrick

Administrator
Staff member
Would it be best to miss the postseason to position yourself to possibly land a lottery pick, or secure the No. 8 seed and lose in the first round?

But the Lakers are not going to win the title this year. Plus, the roster is quite old, and could need a young player to star alongside Dwight Howard in the future.

There isn't one player right now in college ball that could be considered a "difference maker" to turn around the Lakers' immediate future. And IF the Lakers make the playoffs (and I am hopeful that they will), it's a NEW season. ANYTHING can happen...including a first round upset.

lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U7fjDS0jKiE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Would it be best to miss the postseason to position yourself to possibly land a lottery pick, or secure the No. 8 seed and lose in the first round?

Playoffs but right now, it don't really matter.
We not beating the #1 (8th place) or the #2(7th place) team in the WEST in a 4 game series.

There are no players in the draft that are worth the LAKERS getting excited about picking. We can do a whole lot better going the Free-Agency route and know what we getting before hand. Like Barkley said, name one of these one and dones or draft picks that came out early last year that have MADE A BIG IMPACT on their teams.

Just one.

Last edited:
We not beating the #1 (8th place) or the #2(7th place) team in the WEST in a 4 game series.

There are no players in the draft that are worth the LAKERS getting excited about picking. We can do a whole lot better going the Free-Agency route and know what we getting before hand. Like Barkley said, name one of these one and dones or draft picks that came out early last year that have MADE A BIG IMPACT on their teams.

Just one.

Aren't the Lakers over the luxury tax? It will be difficult for them to sign a top tier free agent with hefty salaries already on the roster.

Just one.

Tough to answer within the 1st season, but look at what John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Griffin, and Derrick Rose etc have done over a few seasons.

Tough to answer within the 1st season, but look at what John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Griffin, and Derrick Rose etc have done over a few seasons.
nobody of that caliber is in this years draft....maybe next year but not this year.

Aren't the Lakers over the luxury tax? It will be difficult for them to sign a top tier free agent with hefty salaries already on the roster.

Not if we cut dead weight that should have been cut years ago. There are no excuses after this season not to revamp the entire team. Time to pull a "Mark Cuban" and began a dumping of players.

Not if we cut dead weight that should have been cut years ago. There are no excuses after this season not to revamp the entire team. Time to pull a "Mark Cuban" and began a dumping of players.

And the Mavs are no closer to winning the championship. Dallas cut salary with the hopes of landing Dwight Howard and/or Deron Williams. That didn't happen. Howard is likely to stay in Los Angeles, and Williams re-signed with the Nets. The summer of 2014, when LeBron can choose to opt out of his current deal in Miami, is a time teams are preparing for.

The Lakers already have $79.6 million committed to eight players for the 2013-14 season. Assuming they re-sign Howard next summer to a maximum contract that calls for him to make $20.5 million in the first year, that bumps the Lakers payroll over $100 million.

If their final payroll was $105 million, that would put them $32 million over the league's projected tax threshold of $73 million, triggering a tax of $94.5 million and putting the team on the hook for a staggering total of $199.5 million — a 55.9% increase over the total for this season with essentially the same group of core players.

The Lakers have one untapped financial tool at their disposal, designed to help teams reduce their luxury tax burdens: the so-called amnesty clause. It allows teams to waive one player, paying his salary while being relieved of the associated tax costs.

The only Lakers who can be waived via the amnesty clause per league rules are Bryant, Gasol, Metta World Peace or Steve Blake. That makes World Peace the most likely candidate to be cut because the erratic small forward is owed $7.7 million in 2013-14, when he will be 34.

Dude...WE WANT PLAYOFFS!!! :mad:

Why? You ain't going to win nothing in the playoffs. The Lakers should do two things. Miss the playoffs. Then tell Kobe he has to take a major pay cut next season so they can sign some players or else. They have to start thinking about the FUTURE. They are not good enough to win the whole thing with these guys they have.

But since they are the Lakers and can attract Free Agents, they need to clean some house and also tell Stern as a parting gift as he retire to manipulate the draft where they get a top 5 pick if they miss the playoffs. LOL.

First thing they need to do is get rid of Pau. You can bring Artest back for not much salary. Nash is obviously not going nowhere since he just got there. You re-sign Dwight Howard if possible. Tell Kobe he ain't going to make no where near what he is making now. Maybe give him a share of the team or something to appease his ego and future money making. But he can't be making 20 plus million and hope you can build up a team to beat the other squads. Folks in LA are actually seeing that now too. He has to restructure to help his team if he wants a 6th ring. Because those monsters in Miami ain't going no damn where. OKC got plenty of trade bait to keep improving their team and we know San Antonio older players would damn near play for the minimum if it means getting enough youth to win another ring. Jeannie Buss has to find a way to over throw her stupid arse brother.

Why? You ain't going to win nothing in the playoffs. The Lakers should do two things. Miss the playoffs. Then tell Kobe he has to take a major pay cut next season so they can sign some players or else. They have to start thinking about the FUTURE. They are not good enough to win the whole thing with these guys they have.

But since they are the Lakers and can attract Free Agents, they need to clean some house and also tell Stern as a parting gift as he retire to manipulate the draft where they get a top 5 pick if they miss the playoffs. LOL.

I say playoffs because as a Laker die-hard, I will enjoy watching (at least) 4 more games after the regular season. :lol:

All that other stuff I will worry about later. :lol:

And the Mavs are no closer to winning the championship. Dallas cut salary with the hopes of landing Dwight Howard and/or Deron Williams. That didn't happen. Howard is likely to stay in Los Angeles, and Williams re-signed with the Nets. The summer of 2014, when LeBron can choose to opt out of his current deal in Miami, is a time teams are preparing for.

The Lakers already have $79.6 million committed to eight players for the 2013-14 season. Assuming they re-sign Howard next summer to a maximum contract that calls for him to make $20.5 million in the first year, that bumps the Lakers payroll over $100 million.

If their final payroll was $105 million, that would put them $32 million over the league's projected tax threshold of $73 million, triggering a tax of $94.5 million and putting the team on the hook for a staggering total of $199.5 million — a 55.9% increase over the total for this season with essentially the same group of core players.

The Lakers have one untapped financial tool at their disposal, designed to help teams reduce their luxury tax burdens: the so-called amnesty clause. It allows teams to waive one player, paying his salary while being relieved of the associated tax costs.

The only Lakers who can be waived via the amnesty clause per league rules are Bryant, Gasol, Metta World Peace or Steve Blake. That makes World Peace the most likely candidate to be cut because the erratic small forward is owed $7.7 million in 2013-14, when he will be 34.

Teams can stop waiting on Lebron. Ain't no way Riley is going to allow him to leave Miami. Why would he? He plays in a weaker side of the NBA in the East with an old Boston about to fall on out the playoffs soon. The Knicks have Melo and a bunch of old cats too. The Bulls will be the only threat if Rose comes back and is the same ole Rose. South Beach in a state with no state income tax. A great owner and President. You are building your own legacy in Miami if they can win a few more titles. It is also a place where free agents would come to play with King Lebron. I think all this speculation of Lebron leaving a team AGAIN is overblown. I think Miami would get rid of Bosh or DWade to make sure they have enough to keep Lebron. The talk about him going back to Cleveland to play with Kyrie Irving. Hell Cleveland better worry about Kyrie leaving to go to Miami to play with Lebron. LOL. Or actually somebody else grabbing him up.

I think Lebron stays put after 2014. I wouldn't mess with that clown show running the Lakers now that Dr Buss has passed away.

I say playoffs because as a Laker die-hard, I will enjoy watching (at least) 4 more games after the regular season. :lol:

All that other stuff I will worry about later. :lol:

Gotcha. The Lakers will do something no doubt. My peeps out in LA for the first time are saying it is time for Kobe to take that pay cut or be gone so they can rebuild. I was like whoa! Really? Yall are Kobe lovers. They were like, he ain't bigger than the franchise. It comes a time for everybody to go. I guess I can see their point. Kobe is going to have to ask himself is a 6th ring more important than making 25 plus million and hamstringing the Lakers from having money to sign some real help for him. Plus I think as long as Kobe is on that team, Dwight Howard is going to play up and down because he is punked by Kobe. LOL.

I wouldn't mind too much if the Lakers missed the playoffs just so long as they get rid of D'Antoni. If the Lakers make the playoffs, it might help them keep his no-defense coaching ***.

I wouldn't mind too much if the Lakers missed the playoffs just so long as they get rid of D'Antoni. If the Lakers make the playoffs, it might help them keep his no-defense coaching ***.

I think a lot of Laker fans feel like you do. Especially about D'Antoni. He is just not the long term or short term answer to the Lakers. Sooner or later those fans will force Jim Buss to do the right thing and stop messing with a great franchise making dumb moves. They might be better off firing Kupchak and putting Jerry West in control again for all operations and Buss just sit back and sign the checks. LOL.

Gotcha. The Lakers will do something no doubt. My peeps out in LA for the first time are saying it is time for Kobe to take that pay cut or be gone so they can rebuild. I was like whoa! Really? Yall are Kobe lovers. They were like, he ain't bigger than the franchise. It comes a time for everybody to go. I guess I can see their point. Kobe is going to have to ask himself is a 6th ring more important than making 25 plus million and hamstringing the Lakers from having money to sign some real help for him. Plus I think as long as Kobe is on that team, Dwight Howard is going to play up and down because he is punked by Kobe. LOL.

NBA contracts can't be restructured to save th team money. All they can do is Amnesty him, which makes him a free agent that they could re-sign for less... but he still gets all his money regardless.

NBA contracts can't be restructured to save th team money. All they can do is Amnesty him, which makes him a free agent that they could re-sign for less... but he still gets all his money regardless.

That's right. Oh well. I would be scared to amnesty him and somebody else offers him more money or an opportunity to come play with a team just lacking maybe that one piece like Kobe. But I don't think he would want to play for anyone else. But just think if he went somewhere like San Antonio if the Lakers let him become a FA. That would be scary. :scared:

Back