Now this is a REAL HONEST QUESTION...I-AA Independent

Dr. Sweet NUPE

If your school decided to leave the SWAC to become a I-AA Independent and the chance to go to the playoffs as an AT-LARGE, what would be your ideal schedule to build credentials?

This should be interesting.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
If your school decided to leave the SWAC to become a I-AA Independent and the chance to go to the playoffs as an AT-LARGE, what would be your ideal schedule to build credentials?

I-AA indy is almost suicide. Half of the playoff spots go to conf. champs.

But beating 3 or 4 of the following teams and playing NO Division II's would about do it.

Grambling
Southern
Youngstown
McNeese
Northwestern
Sam Houston
Georgia Southern
Montana
Western illinois
Northern Iowa
James Madison
Maine
Delaware
Appalation (sp) state
Furman

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If you are a D1AA Indy, you better win about 9 games to have a chance at the playoffs.

The idea of independent status fundamentally makes zero sense. Not to mention ever high profile independent and lower profile football program over the last 25 years at the NCAA Division I level has sought and gain conference admittance (beside Savannah State) and besides Notre Dame, Army, and Navy who 1) has an automatic bid to the BCS exemption and clause (besides Navy) 2) conference affiliation for every other sport.

If a high profile program could complete a 11-game schedule given all the natural difficulties in scheduling games during the later part of the season games versus conference scheduled games, then it would still be a suicide schedule considering all the high profile rivalry and high profile games that would be on the schedule.

Grambling State University
1) vs. Alcorn State
2) vs. Southern
3) vs. Prairie View A&M (Dallas)
4) vs. Jackson State
5) vs. Tennessee State
6) vs. Florida A&M
7) vs. North Carolina A&T State
8) vs. Howard (South Carolina State)
9) vs. Morgan State (Bethune-Cookman)
10) vs. ULM (Sam Houston State)
11) vs. McNeese State

The likely hood of winning a minimum of 8 and/or 9 games needed to qualify for an at-large bid to the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs on a regular basis would be near impossible: see the obvious difficulties attributed to Notre Dame?s schedule over the last 10 years.

McTailgator said:

But beating 3 or 4 of the following teams and playing NO Division II's would about do it.

Grambling
Southern
Youngstown
McNeese
Northwestern
Sam Houston
Georgia Southern
Montana
Western illinois
Northern Iowa
James Madison
Maine
Delaware
Appalation (sp) state
Furman

I agree! You'll basically be forced to play a schedule with no cupcakes/easy homecoming victories if you want to make it into the playoffs. And if you make the playoffs with that schedule, you'll more than likely will hafta take that ride to Missoula, Mont., or Statesboro, Ga., or some other faraway ride in the first round.

Basically...for a I-AA team down here to go independent and schedule a playoff-worthy schedule...they'd more than likely will hafta play SU or GSU out the SWAC (don't blame me, look at rankings the last few years), top-tier teams out of the Southland or SoCo (Southern Conference)...and maybe get a home and home with a Gateway (Southern Ill., Western Ill., N. Iowa, et al)...or Atlantic !0 team..

So, if I were faced with being an indy and had a schedule that kinda looks like this:

Northwestern St.
Furman
Delaware
Southern
Hampton
Georgia Southern
Western Illinois
(insert miscellaneous Sun Belt I-A team here)
Sam Houston
(insert mid-level or BCS Division I-A team here)-gotta pay the bills...
Grambling

That would be a suicide mission...for a I-AA Indy...

McTailgator said:

We've been trying to tell some folks that for quite some time now.

It could work for Grambling... We would probably continue to play the Western division teams plus Alcorn and JSU from the East. The TxSU, UAPB, Alcorn, JSU games would remain home and home. If negotiations to play NWST in S'port work out, that would give us 3 home games in North La each year. Counting the BC we would then play 4 games in the state each year.

The flexibility then exist to re-establish the Grambling tradition of being barnstormers and playing before our nationwide fan base. Coach Jeffries has contacts throughtout the football landscape and the Grambling name makes us appealing to promoters. The pool of teams to choose from include mid-majors, MEAC, Valley, Bama State, and AAMU as well as other D1AA contenders. We have three mid majors in Louisiana that are possible opponents and would give us another game in the state.

As for the playoffs...not at the expense of moving the date of the Bayou Classic.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
It don't matter about the PWC schedule? Unless you played at least 6 of the top SWAC schools every year it would be football suicide for at least 8 SWAC schools?

We don't buy tickets to see PWC I-AA schools with no band.

MikeBigg said:
It could work for Grambling... We would probably continue to play the Western division teams plus Alcorn and JSU from the East. The TxSU, UAPB, Alcorn, JSU games would remain home and home. If negotiations to play NWST in S'port work out, that would give us 3 home games in North La each year. Counting the BC we would then play 4 games in the state each year.

The flexibility then exist to re-establish the Grambling tradition of being barnstormers and playing before our nationwide fan base. Coach Jeffries has contacts throughtout the football landscape and the Grambling name makes us appealing to promoters. The pool of teams to choose from include mid-majors, MEAC, Valley, Bama State, and AAMU as well as other D1AA contenders. We have three mid majors in Louisiana that are possible opponents and would give us another game in the state.

As for the playoffs...not at the expense of moving the date of the Bayou Classic.

What a great fantasy. :lol: Sorry Charlie, but this is not the answer for Grambling. :lol: The best thing Grambling can do is sell the COP(s) on changing the 9 game mandate.

JROCK said:
What a great fantasy. :lol: Sorry Charlie, but this is not the answer for Grambling. :lol: The best thing Grambling can do is sell the COP(s) on changing the 9 game mandate.

Actually, Grambling has the name recognition to go D1 and play mid-majors plus some money games against BCS conference schools. With D1 status, it would be easier getting games against ULL, ULM, and Tulane as well as other regional D1's. Imagine the draw of Grambling playing South Florida in Tampa
or Marshall on the East Coast.

Teams from the SunBelt and MAC would be possible opponents and would love to experience the attendance bounce from scheduling Grambling. In fact, it would open doors for JSU and other SWAC schools to play some mid-majors. Even SU could schedule them once Pete leaves.

MikeBigg said:
Actually, Grambling has the name recognition to go D1 and play mid-majors plus some money games against BCS conference schools. With D1 status, it would be easier getting games against ULL, ULM, and Tulane as well as other regional D1's. Imagine the draw of Grambling playing South Florida in Tampa
or Marshall on the East Coast.

Teams from the SunBelt and MAC would be possible opponents and would love to experience the attendance bounce from scheduling Grambling. In fact, it would open doors for JSU and other SWAC schools to play some mid-majors. Even SU could schedule them once Pete leaves.

I'll overlook the subtle smack in your post, this time. Why is it when we talk going Indy or D-1A it's all about football. What about your other sport teams, and conference afficates. Think the SWAC will keep you without football? Is your Athletic programs/facilities funded whereas they could compete outside of the SWAC? Scheduling games is not as easy as you make it out to be, even if you are the "ICON".

Not part of the SWAC but if we played Indy and I could make the schedule here is how it would look.

Alabama A&M Continue building good business relationship with the Bulldogs and always easy victory in the JMC.

Jackson State Always a great time in Memphis and as long as Bell is coach we should walk away with a victory.

FAMU ATL Classic. IMO only classic that is close to the BC of having a national appeal.

Tenn Tech Old OVC rival very short drive from Nashville.

William & Mary. Atlantic 10 Closest A-10 team

Western KY Gateway Conference member, Great tradition and Bowling
Green, KY is about an hour from Nashville..

UT-Chatt Southern Conference member, Never real strong but never really weak, won?t hurt your strength of Schedule.

Georgia Southern. Best program in the history of 1AA. Great team to play for recruiting purposes. Get the South Georgia/North Florida kids who don?t want to play the triple option.

Prairie View A&M HOMECOMING BABY. Never want to schedule and tough game for homecoming.

UT-Martin. With this schedule you need to throw in a couple of cupcakes.

MVSU Great program to play if you don?t want to go to their place. Smallest athletic budget in 1AA football. Throw them a few extra dollars to come to Nashville every year. No fan support so nobody should complain about never playing in Tiny Town.

MTSU for years we have the option to play a 12 game. Easiest 1A program to beat in the state.

:topic:
Just asking. But why so negative, suppose to be a fun thread right?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
tsutiger said:
Never want to schedule and tough game for homecoming.

Just asking. But why so negative, suppose to be a fun thread right?

1. You're right..you should schedule games you could win for Homecoming.unlike some members of the SWAC... (ain't that right JROCK)

2. Yeah...this was supposed to be a fun thread...but I think the goal of Dr. Sweet Nupe starting this thread went on a severe tangent. He just asked what would be a schedule for a SWAC member who just went D-IAA independent that could get them a berth in the I-AA playoffs..

The assertion of most of the posters been it would be crazy..because only what, 8, teams out of 16 have automatic bids for winning their conference...So that leaves only 8 spots left....and, unlike the BCS, strength of schedule really does come into play...

:topic: I like the schedule you put up though....get teams out of the A-10, Gateway and SoCo on the schedule...along with keeping some traditional rivals and other matchups would be best...

so here i go..seriously with my schedule *in no order of importance*

1. Southern/Western Ill. (The Salukis did contact SU about playin a home-and-home, but wanted us to come Carbondale first. Same with Northern Ill. of the MAC)
2. Hampton/SC State out of the MEAC
3. play Villanova in Philly (alma mater of Howie Long and the Westbrook dude)
4. Northwestern State - "purple swarm" defense vs. "race horse" offense
5. Appalachian St. (play them in Charlotte or something)
6. Jackson State - traditional rival
7. Alcorn -traditional rival
8. AAMU/Prairie View (Homecoming opponent)
9. Tennessee State
10. Division I-A payday game (Maybe a MAC, WAC, Sun Belt)
11. Ramblin X (Bayou Classic) - traditional rival

12 (if NCAA allowed) a BCS conference member

I wouldn't play FAMU if I were making a D-IAA indy sched...their "situation" will weaken the team and it would take a couple of years for them to get right...but once they get right...I'll put them on

tsutiger said:

Probably because he has done some research and know some of this stuff is far fetched. Maybe he will give you a more explicit answer later. :tup:

JROCK said:
Probably because he has done some research and know some of this stuff is far fetched. Maybe he will give you a more explicit answer later. :tup:
:lmao: he so busy shaking his head ,his neck should be sore than a mug. :lmao:

DSN,
IMO, Schools like gram, j-state, and su wouldn't have a problem going 1AA indy. But I don't think they would go for playoff reasons. It's been said time, and time and time again the 1aa playoffs don't make money and there are ???'s to how the seeding goes. That being said, I think those schools could make it as an indy. FOOTBALL IS ABOUT MONEY ANYWAY!!!! Why is it UT cried so much to play in the Rose Bowl last season, $$$$$!!!!!! I think the diff. b/w the bowls cal and ut played in was around 14mil. Why isn't there a playoff in 1a, money would be lost.

On a closer view, why does gram play in as many 'classics' as they can? $$$$!!!! Why does southern work to schedule around 6 home games (some of which don't require a return visit)? $$$$$$ !!!!!!!! Why is there a 9 game mandate? Some of our schools rely on waiting for others to help them out of the hole. Because if it were a divisional sched., some schools in the east may not see gram or su and some in the west won't see jsu for years. Some have not seen your band at their home stadium yet!!!!

If some schools were to leave in football only, and play in the SWAC in all other sports, it could work. But not to make the playoffs. just my 2 cents.

BgJag said:
I'll overlook the subtle smack in your post, this time. Why is it when we talk going Indy or D-1A it's all about football. What about your other sport teams, and conference afficates. Think the SWAC will keep you without football? Is your Athletic programs/facilities funded whereas they could compete outside of the SWAC? Scheduling games is not as easy as you make it out to be, even if you are the "ICON".

Scheduling wouldn't be a problem at all in Football. I had already mentioned that the bulk of our football games would be against the SWAC Western Division and JSU and Alcorn. Do you seriously think Tn State would not want to renew their series against us? I think we could get a late playing date with FAMU prior to the classic...if not, we have the option of Southeastern, Nichols, and other regional Southland schools.

Basketball and baseball wouldn't be a problem... the local state schools are not reluctant to play in these two sports. It's a lot cheaper on GSU to travel to Centenary, La Tech, ULM, Southern Arkansas, Southeastern, Nichols, McNeese, NWST, Wiley, Jarvis Christian, and doing the mid week thang against LSU, Arkansas, Baylor, etc.

Ok...next? (BTW: It wasn't a smack attempt...you and I both know that Pete doesn't play a competitive out of conference schedule out of fear and realization that his enemies are constantly circling waiting for a chance. You and I have spoken on that many times. If Pete had a losing season, the boo birds would be out to make their move. Quit being so sensitive. You getting as bad as BR-Jag or whatever the neo's name is).

MikeBigg said:

Ok...next? (BTW: It wasn't a smack attempt...you and I both know that Pete doesn't play a competitive out of conference schedule out of fear and realization that his enemies are constantly circling waiting for a chance. You and I have spoken on that many times. If Pete had a losing season, the boo birds would be out to make their move. Quit being so sensitive. You getting as bad as BR-Jag or whatever the neo's name is).

Dude that is bull****. In Pete's 11 years he has played Tulane twice, NWST 10 times, McNeese is on the his schedule for two games, FAMU several times, A&T twice, Hampton 3 times and a few more. Some of you all just look for a reason to criticize The SUperior One. Of course we have given a few lower classification teams a payday as LSU does quite frequently. Let's not act like grambling does not play a powder puff here and their also...ie Langston, Concordia :lol: Morris Brown, Savannah State ect. Some of you all see the "S" and lose your common sense. :lol:

Journalist said:
1. You're right..you should schedule games you could win for Homecoming.unlike some members of the SWAC... (ain't that right JROCK)

8. AAMU/Prairie View (Homecoming opponent)
Y'all gone get enough of scheduling us for HC after this year. :teleport:

JROCK said:
Dude that is bull****. In Pete's 11 years he has played Tulane twice, NWST 10 times, McNeese is on the his schedule for two games, FAMU several times, A&T twice, Hampton 3 times and a few more. Some of you all just look for a reason to criticize The SUperior One. Of course we have given a few lower classification teams a payday as LSU does quite frequently. Let's not act like grambling does not play a powder puff here and their also...ie Langston, Concordia :lol: Morris Brown, Savannah State ect. Some of you all see the "S" and lose your common sense. :lol:

Yall love ole Pete dont cha. That's so nice...but he's on the decline. Dude has lost it. Good coach but he's gonna have mediocre records the next three years. I see no better than third place in the West for yall. But at least he gets to finish out with nice paychecks.

Mr. SWAC said:
Y'all gone get enough of scheduling us for HC after this year. :teleport:

Don't count on it. S.U. will be too big, fast, smart and strong for you all to compete this year. Look for another 50+ point smashing. I just don't see how you all are going to stop S.U. offense. Those RAC boys we have (about 6 of them) will be pure hell on the SWAC. Most of the SWAC is going to be shocked when they see JC Lewis. That guy is so cool in the pocket until it is a shame. He is going to pick you all apart. He reminds me a little of Sam George. However, his passing is much more accurate and he makes much better decisions.

JROCK said:
Don't count on it. S.U. will be too big, fast, smart and strong for you all to compete this year. Look for another 50+ point smashing. I just don't see how you all are going to stop S.U. offense. Those RAC boys we have (about 6 of them) will be pure hell on the SWAC. Most of the SWAC is going to be shocked when they see JC Lewis. That guy is so cool in the pocket until it is a shame. He is going to pick you all apart. He reminds me a little of Sam George. However, his passing is much more accurate and he makes much better decisions.

On which of his 15 or so passes last year did you pick all this up? Maybe he had a helluva spring game against the 3-4 package yall were experimenting with. Did yall decide to keep it or not? We're gonna kill any three man front with Kuaan and Mayes.

Back