Montgomery Advertiser delves into Jenkins lack of local recruiting success

I doubt it lol yall won't 5 streak us like we did y'all recently ..Jenkins may get this year and another but by then we would've fired Spady and our new coach start another streak of MCC wins

So when you gonna say ole TP was right about Spady!? LOL
When nobody else wants a coach... you shouldn't hire him either. That offense is not suited for AAMU. You all could never recruit the talent for that. This will be Spady's last year on Tha Hill. You will finish dead last in the whole conference.

I think this is a great article. In about a year, I might have to subscribe to the Advertiser to make sure I don't miss a story when it's Jenkins vs the Board. Lawd, TP can't wait... lol

We've been had a problem keeping players from Montgomery even before Jenkins came. Now those players going to A&M will have to deal with getting their azz whooped on the last Saturday in October
Those players came to A&M specifically to keep from being beat constantly on that date. They made the right choice.

But on a serious note, kids generally want to get away from home to attend college if they can. All coaches have that problem unless it is a major school or a school with a long tradition of winning championships. A lot of Huntsville players sign with small schools instead of A&M just to experience living in a different city.

Jenkins can't sign a kid that just wants to get away from home. Besides, what difference does it make if he signs a player from Montgomery or Florida, just as long as he wins.

Those players came to A&M specifically to keep from being beat constantly on that date. They made the right choice.

But on a serious note, kids generally want to get away from home to attend college if they can. All coaches have that problem unless it is a major school or a school with a long tradition of winning championships. A lot of Huntsville players sign with small schools instead of A&M just to experience living in a different city.

Jenkins can't sign a kid that just wants to get away from home. Besides, what difference does it make if he signs a player from Montgomery or Florida, just as long as he wins.

Winning is important but most proponents of signing local guys feel that it will boost attendance. ASU has been on the winning side as of late... they should be able to pull in more fans but they are not.

When nobody else wants a coach... you shouldn't hire him either. That offense is not suited for AAMU. You all could never recruit the talent for that. This will be Spady's last year on Tha Hill. You will finish dead last in the whole conference.

Ole TP was wrong about Bell, Comegy and Jackson. I suspect your prediction about Spady will be just as bad. You know, Spady can count on at least one victory a year. Has he lost to JSU yet?

Ole TP was wrong about Bell, Comegy and Jackson. I suspect your prediction about Spady will be just as bad. You know, Spady can count on at least one victory a year. Has he lost to JSU yet?

You know dayum well he about to get roasted and toasted to a crisp in Jackson. Worry about Valley.

Winning is important but most proponents of signing local guys feel that it will boost attendance. ASU has been on the winning side as of late... they should be able to pull in more fans but they are not.
Winning boosts attendance. Furthermore, if the available recruitable local players don't fit the team offensive or defensive styles, or team needs, it would not make sense to sign those local players over other players that do help the team.
Losing with local players does nothing for the attendance bottom line. Just more headaches.

TP why are you talking about Spady?..he is 2-0 vs "mighty" jsu

Why would many students stay at home and go to school if they have the option to go to a comparable school athlete or not. Some moms try to keep their baby close just because they have insecurity.

HBCUs are the only programs that get a bad rep for not recruiting locally. With so many factors working against us, we shou
Why would many students stay at home and go to school if they have the option to go to a comparable school athlete or not. Some moms try to keep their baby close just because they have insecurity.

It's not always the mother. It's the peanut gallery. People think that just because a school is in their town, they should be offering scholarships, left and right, to the local kids. If a kid has no offers, people point the finger at the HBCU for not offering him a chance to play. Let that same kid get an offer from say, Bama State and another offer from Auburn, they won't put the pressure on the kid to go to Bama State. They would actually clown him for choosing the HBCU.

BCF programs just have a tough time, all they way around. Then we have to deal with articles like this one.

HBCUs are the only programs that get a bad rep for not recruiting locally. With so many factors working against us, we shou

It's not always the mother. It's the peanut gallery. People think that just because a school is in their town, they should be offering scholarships, left and right, to the local kids. If a kid has no offers, people point the finger at the HBCU for not offering him a chance to play. Let that same kid get an offer from say, Bama State and another offer from Auburn, they won't put the pressure on the kid to go to Bama State. They would actually clown him for choosing the HBCU.

BCF programs just have a tough time, all they way around. Then we have to deal with articles like this one.
Preach my brother. That's EXACTLY the case here. The class that Jenkins signed this year is one of if not the best in recent history. That's the most important. The same people talking HAVE tried to turn local basketball recruits away from the program. Making statements like, "man, you are better than ASU". Sad part, damn HBCU alumns are making the statements.

Last edited:

Preach my brother. That's EXACTLY the case here. The class that Jenkins signed this year is one of if not the best in recent history. That's the most important. The same people talking HAVE tried to turn local basketball recruits away from the program. Making statements like, "man, you are better than ASU". Sad part, damn HBCU alumns are making the statements.

Jenkins just needs to be smart like the new coach at JSU and redefine local. Coach Hughes was given that "local" recruits jargon too BUT he flipped it on their azz and said the he considers anything within a 6 hr radius our "local" recruiting grounds... Jenkins may not be that smart.

"Local" recruiting is overrated. The recruiting should focus on getting the best players for your system.

Of course, that should be the priority. However, i can understand why local recruiting can help. If you can bring in 20 ticket buyers from 1 hour away, that's better for the bottom line than recruiting a kid from Miami. That recruit and his fam could become lifetime supporters rather than go back to Fl and never step a foot in Montgomery. BUT at the end of the day, the objective is to win.

Of course, that should be the priority. However, i can understand why local recruiting can help. If you can bring in 20 ticket buyers from 1 hour away, that's better for the bottom line than recruiting a kid from Miami. That recruit and his fam could become lifetime supporters rather than go back to Fl and never step a foot in Montgomery. BUT at the end of the day, the objective is to win.
Not 20 ticket buyers. 20 people asking for their free ticket at will call.

Let the band recruit locally.

The coaches should recruit the best players that fit. Bottom line.

What the hell I look like recruiting a local nose guard over a 3-tech from across the state?

Back