MH...you were wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Storm96 said:
Actually that championship game when PV won was well attended. I wish I could find the actual numbers but depending on the size of that arena the crowd filled it nicely. It wasnt a sell out but it was a much larger crowd than the subsequent Bball championships at biloxi and SU. Furthermore, its not just about the people of houston. As people keep stating, Houston is the only swac city with an Alumni chapter from each school. Travel to and from the city wont be a problem.

I'll see if I can find that game on tape; that game is still hard to watch after all these years. We lost a 20 point half time lead.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
mighty hornet said:
ummm, the attendance for the championship game was 3 times the regular season attendance

why is there a discussion about moving the tourney to other cities?

:smh:

Just like you frat, I'm :smh:!

Lord, help the sad and foolish!

Anytime you have to go to the American Legion Hall in Fairfield for entertainment it is time to move. Last year we went to strip club, however I thought I had been transported to the planet of the apes.

Went to Ona' had a drugged out White harmonica player who wanted to be a comedian.

The tournament in Dallas was well attended. The tourney in Houston was was the highest attended ever. Check the records. TSU vs Southern one year and TSU vs ? the second year.

Again I am not advocating Houston as it is too far West. A central location is needed.

Birmingham does have nice golf courses.

East Tex Tiger said:
The tournament in Dallas was well attended. The tourney in Houston was was the highest attended ever. Check the records. TSU vs Southern one year and TSU vs ? the second year.

Can you show proof of that?

Also, what years?

Remember, the times have changed. Attendance aint what it used to be. I KNOW that's the case with ASU and looking at the avg. attendance of other SWAC schools for the past few years, that's the case, across the board.
Back in the 80's, we had a packed house for just about every game. Not nearly the case now.

So, to use attendance at yesteryear's tournaments as an indication of current issues is misleading and shortsighted.

I feel that they should reconsider having the tournament elsewhere.... Don't get me wrong this is my fourth year going but I would really prefer another city that has a lot more to offer...

gramuntildeath said:
I feel that they should reconsider having the tournament elsewhere.... Don't get me wrong this is my fourth year going but I would really prefer another city that has a lot more to offer...

I keep reading all this talk about a city that has more to offer. What exactly are you folks looking to do after the games are over? Birmingham has restaurants, malls (plenty of them...and damned large ones at that,) a variety of clubs, lounges, etc. This whole gripe of having things to do outside of the games is a weak cover-up for the whining because the tournament has drawn just as well in Birmingham, as it did in previous locations. Someone made a remark about the AKAs regional convention being in Biloxi ONE YEAR during the same time as the tournament, but then again, that was ONE YEAR!

It's really become a sad ritual that folks come to this forum to whine and cry about the location of this tournament every year.

Now, just watch as someone comes with a ridiculous and childish retort to the above post....nothing substantial, just something foolish...mark my words!

If the tournament is Birmingham next year, would someone familar with the city provide a list of entertainment venues.

I will attempt to obtain the official numbers for Tourney in Houston.

I know for a fact the HPE was at capacity for the Southern vs TSU game..

East Tex Tiger said:
If the tournament is Birmingham next year, would someone familar with the city provide a list of entertainment venues.

I will attempt to obtain the official numbers for Tourney in Houston.

I know for a fact the HPE was at capacity for the Southern vs TSU game..

Hey man I was just giving my opinion about what I felt.....I personally don't like Brmingham for things to do after the game.... Hell last year me and a friend ofmines drove around the city for about any hour to fiond something to do..... I mean if you love it then that is all that matter...... Yes we are all going to have an opinion......Now you cannot sit here and compare Birmingham to places like Atlanta, Houston, & New Orleans. Hell I use to live in Houston until three years ago then I moved to Baltimore and I would not suggest people bring it here even with DC being so CLOSE.... But when the money from a job comes calling then that is where I will be........ So again if you LOVE BIRMINGHAM then that is all that MATTERS!!!!!!!!

Hell, the games between Alabama A&M and Alabama State had attendances between 5,000 and 8,000 for the past two years.

What's your point?

It's like this Birmingham really has nothing to offer me.........But that is only my opinion..... I mean come on let' s be real here for a minute when I go out of town to support my HBCU games I go inthe mind frame that I am on vacation..... Hell any time away from these CHALLENGED students that I deal with on a daily basis will make you turn it into a PARTY!!!!! I like to PARTY and have different option open to me.... Not coming down on your city just saying it ought to be moved to see if they can get a better crowd drawn in..... JUST MY OPINION once again.

gramuntildeath said:
Hey man I was just giving my opinion about what I felt.....I personally don't like Brmingham for things to do after the game.... Hell last year me and a friend ofmines drove around the city for about any hour to fiond something to do..... I mean if you love it then that is all that matter...... Yes we are all going to have an opinion......Now you cannot sit here and compare Birmingham to places like Atlanta, Houston, & New Orleans. Hell I use to live in Houston until three years ago then I moved to Baltimore and I would not suggest people bring it here even with DC being so CLOSE.... But when the money from a job comes calling then that is where I will be........ So again if you LOVE BIRMINGHAM then that is all that MATTERS!!!!!!!!
I think you used the wrong quote in your previous post. My quote supports your argument.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
My .02.

I attended the games in Dallas (all of them). Funny how they were 'decently' attended by various alums while in Addison/Farmers Branch but during the champ games, it was almsot exclusively alums of each respective school.

I forgot the capacity of the gym near downtown for the championship games but we weren't bursting @ the seams. It was a nice sized crowd but it wasn't capacity. I won't even begin to guessimate.

Carry on.

Panthro said:
My .02.

I attended the games in Dallas (all of them). Funny how they were 'decently' attended by various alums while in Addison/Farmers Branch but during the champ games, it was almsot exclusively alums of each respective school.

I forgot the capacity of the gym near downtown for the championship games but we weren't bursting @ the seams. It was a nice sized crowd but it wasn't capacity. I won't even begin to guessimate.

Carry on.

Thanks Panthro. I can appreciate at least one person having some sense and objectivity.

CEE DOG said:
Don't front dude. We scared you in CC in 1990 they cheated for you.

..and in 1989 in Robinson Stadium (Pugh's first year on the Hill.)

He's one of those posters that thinks because he's lived in some sort of vacuum (or cave,) that everyone else has.

AAMU Alum said:
Hell, the games between Alabama A&M and Alabama State had attendances between 5,000 and 8,000 for the past two years.

What's your point?

I never said I had a problem with the attendance as long as the tournament draws 4,000 or higher. Can you find where I posted anything negative about the attendance when the attendance was higher than 4,000.

I went to my first SWAC tournament in 1990 (I think) TSU played SU in Houston. The following year the tournament was in Houston again. TSU played Jackson State. I was at that tournament too. My first SWAC Tournament outside of Houston was in 1994 (Baton Rouge). TSU Played Jackson State in the finals. I also attended the following tournaments: 1995 (Baton Rouge), 1996 (I think it was in Baton Rouge on SU campus), 1997 (Dallas), 1998 (Dallas), 1999 (Baton Rouge on SU campus), 2000 Biloxi, 2002 (Birmingham), 2003 Birmingham.

I think I paid my dues to have an opinion.

Mike and the rest of the A&M fans, how many tournaments have you been to?

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind visiting Birmingham every now and then. However, I've had much better times in Houston, Dallas, Baton Rouge, Jackson, and Biloxi.

The only reason the SWAC moved this thing to Birmingham was that they thought they could get something for FREE. Nothing in life is free and the overall tournament has become a poor reason for me to travel 600 miles to do nothing. For you folks who travels 10 maybe 60 miles, having this thing in Birmingham may be great. For me to travel 600 miles to get to this thing and see some decent basketball for a weekend, it sucks!!!! Even the half time shows are now delivered by 10-year olds doing the NASTY DANCE. AT least at these locations I've mentioned, the NASTY DANCE wasn't being performed by 10 -year olds.

In an earlier post, I asked what are some of the happenings in Birmingham. If it is held there again next year, I surely hope that someone post the happenings for us SWAC fans so we want be back in our hotel rooms at 11:00. The SWAC Tournament use to draw entertainers, former players, etc.

If I was having a great time in Birmingham, year in and year out, I wouldn't be suggesting that we move it (BUT I HAVE NOT). Since most of you were there at the tournament, how many other SWAC fans were at the tournament besides the Alabama bunch? The answer was very few (I happened to be of the few). It is just not worth it for the fans to show up.

IT JUST SHOULD NOT BE HELD AT THE SAME LOCATION EVERY YEAR!!! IF SO, IT NEEDS TO BE IN A CENTRALIZED LOCATION WITH PLENTY OF VARIETY FOR IT'S FAN. BUT AS LONG AS THE SWAC OFFICE THINKS THAT THEY ARE GOING TO GET SOMETHING FOR NOTHING, WE'LL BE LOSING GROUND ON OTHER CONFERENCES.

I also agree that the tournament should be in a more centralized location to benefit everyone interested in saving a $. Of course, I would like for it to stay in B'ham, because it's only (88-90) miles from Montgomery. But, many of you are saying that B'ham doesn't have a lot to offer. B'ham is just like any other metro area that you visit. When I visited Dallas, I stayed in downtown Dallas and walked over to the West-End district and ate good, and also had the opportunity to ride the rail system to the Galleria. It's the same way in B'ham. Go over on the southside at the Five Points district on 20th street, and you can eat just like you did in Dallas's West-End. You don't have to go to B'ham's Galleria every time you visit the city. Some may prefer to hang out at Brookwood Village Mall or eat and dine out on Hwy.280 and other areas. And in case anyone didn't know what's going on in the B'ham area, I strongly suggest you go to the website www.rossbridgeresort.com

Jafus (Thinker) said:
For whatever it is worth, the city is not the major problem with the SWAC Basketball Tournament. But, I digress.

The city, itself, is NOT the problem. However, when the SWAC office believes that they can just continue business as usual, it's not good for the SWAC. I must say that some changes have been made that makes sense. For one, fans can now buy sessions and sit practically anywhere they want. At some of the earlier tournaments with the arenas practically empty, you had to sit in your assigned seat. When I would come back from the tournament, the first question asked was "Why were the arena so empty?" Now, you never know that the top portion of the arena is empty. Just good marketing.

Unfortunately, the folks that market our games were not top students if you ask me. Why place our team at risk by having them play on Sunday? This years tournament should have been finished on Saturday Night. At least I could have left town early Sunday Morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back