MEAC and SWAC Sign Unprecedented Media Deal

Financial Terms were Not Disclosed

>>"The new pact also includes distribution rights for MEAC and SWAC programming across numerous ESPN platforms, including ESPN Mobile (wireless), ESPN Interactive, ESPN 360 (formerly ESPN Broadband), ESPN.com, ESPN Pay-Per-View, ESPN Video-on-Demand, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, ESPN Deportes and more.").

and what does ESPNU actually PAY for this extensive priviledge?

what does CSTV pay and WHO did they pay?

Jafus (Thinker) said:
Shaking My Head!!

Me too.

And several of our college adminstrators have been quoted as confirming the deal. Sounds like we are right at the threshold of a major breakthrough but then again it could be a major letdown.

At least we've got some options towards growing our (HBCU's) product . I just hope that the farm is not sold to pay for the fertilizer.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Mister.Earl said:
Financial Terms were Not Disclosed
and what does ESPNU actually PAY for this extensive priviledge?
what does CSTV pay and WHO did they pay?
Yep. There are questions! :nod:

All of this is so vague it is no way any of us can judge want we ultimately have. Hopefully, someone knows what they are doing.

Ralph,

When you give up your rights to one game, you give up the rights to charge the network everytime it is aired afterwards (all broadband, high-definition, Internet, video-on-demand, and terrestrial and satellite radio rights). That's what I'm talking about. Anywhere the networks wants to re-air the game, they can still make money and not have to share that with the conference. Look at Fox College Sports for example. Those three networks air games over and over from seasons of the past and the present. When doing that, they get new sponsors most of the times that pay money to advertise during the re-air. That's money that's not going to the conference. All networks do this and if you have sold the rights, you get nothing.

There are right ways and wrong ways to get paid and be on TV. Right now, this is looking like the wrong way or just a hurry let's get it while they are offering deal. Believe me, these networks don't have alot of choices they need the games to fill their schedules or they will out of business within a year. This isn't anything that's secretive in the media, it's common knowledge. So, I can't get fired for tellin' it!

SWAC Office surprised by CSTV release
April 26, 2005

http://www.onnidan.com/04-05/news/april/swac-cstv0426.htm

By Eric N. Moore
HBCUSports.com Managing Editor
Apparently the announcement about a new marketing deal between the SWAC, MEAC, SIAC and CSTV was not anticipated by the SWAC and MEAC.

The MEAC has already issued a statement denying the agreement and sources in the SWAC office indicate that the conference was caught off-guard by the announcement.

The SWAC is expected to release a statement after communicating with all of the parties involved.

"We can't say anything right now because we don't know what's going on," the source said.

SIAC disavows knowledge of New Visions/CSTV deal
April 26, 2005

http://www.onnidan.com/04-05/news/april/siac-cstv0426.htm

SIAC Commissioner William Lide has issued a statement disavowing any association with the recently announced New Visions Sports/CSTV partnership involving the SWAC, MEAC and SIAC.
"The SIAC has no knowledge of nor any involvement in the announcement of the partnership between New Visions Sports Properties and CSTV," Lide said.

"We are pursuing our own partnerships directly and it does not involve a third party."

Mike said:
... When you give up your rights to one game, you give up the rights to charge the network everytime it is aired afterwards ... All networks do this and if you have sold the rights, you get nothing. ... Believe me, these networks don't have alot of choices they need the games to fill their schedules or they will out of business within a year ...
Mike,
That's why I asked if you were privvy to the contract because all deals are not the same. Length of exclusivity as I understand is usually just the first broadcast. Of course you can't broadcast someone else's tape but that doesn't mean you can't show your own, etc. Contracts usually determine how many times others can broadcast your team without payment. These major networks have A LOT of choices. ESPNU and Fox's college foray may be out of business within the year (see TFN) but I think CSTV is in it for the long haul. I visited their Manhatten offices and studio and they have their ducks in a row. Plus they have many avenues that the others do not. Don't take this the wrong way, I am in no way allied with CSTV (in fact they are a direct competitor with the company that signs my paycheck) but I really liked reading the press release this morning because it not only really benefits HBCUs in media penetration but also benefits I-AA.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker):
Eric N. Moore, Onnidan reported:
SWAC Office surprised by CSTV release
... sources in the SWAC office indicate that the conference was caught off-guard by the announcement.
... "We can't say anything right now because we don't know what's going on," the source said.
No they weren't surprised. That quote is from someone who said they were not aware. All parties involved were well aware of the deal and the announcement which was sent at 5:55 AM CST today.

Really sad.... :(

Ralph said:
Mike,
That's why I asked if you were privvy to the contract because all deals are not the same. Length of exclusivity as I understand is usually just the first broadcast. Of course you can't broadcast someone else's tape but that doesn't mean you can't show your own, etc. Contracts usually determine how many times others can broadcast your team without payment. These major networks have A LOT of choices. ESPNU and Fox's college foray may be out of business within the year (see TFN) but I think CSTV is in it for the long haul. I visited their Manhatten offices and studio and they have their ducks in a row. Plus they have many avenues that the others do not. Don't take this the wrong way, I am in no way allied with CSTV (in fact they are a direct competitor with the company that signs my paycheck) but I really liked reading the press release this morning because it not only really benefits HBCUs in media penetration but also benefits I-AA.

Ralph,

Fox College Sports isn't going anywhere anytime soon, trust me. The difference between FCS and ESPNU/CSTV is that they are national where as the products that are on FCS come from the regions. That's regions that others may not see the games. ESPN tried to do regional sports and has failed a number of times, therefore you get ESPN PPV. With Fox, for example, people seeing a Washington/Washington State Pac Ten game won't see a Forida State/Maryland ACC game because they would be aired on different regional networks that may not be available unless they have satellite services with the sports package. Therefore with FCS Pacific, Central, and Atlantic. You can get all the games that are aired, some delayed and some live. The other two are trying to cut into the market by trying to buy contracts at length to shut out Fox. So far, it's not working like they want it to and conflicts with contracts have started to come into play.

The SWAC has a great opportunity to make some good money. But, from what I'm looking at it won't be structured right for them to maximize that profit.

As for what you said about video. If you give away your rights to your own video, then that's plain stupid. They could wrap this whole thing up with a CPU in each production truck and a few simple words in the contracts. I would tell you how, but that would not be beneficial for me.

TV Contracts aren't as hard as people try to make them. The customer usually doesn't know enough to figure them out and hire a lawyer that knows nothing about TV to look them over for loop holes. I'm not saying that New Vision doesn't know what they are doing. I think they do. But, I don't think they are maximizing the return. The way they are working, it seems they are trying to get contracts done to stay afloat.

Everybody cool down for a minute.

Since New Vision is involved, details of this deal should be up soon on SU's athletic website...... :swink:

Ralph said:
Mike,

Ralph - "Ducks in a row? " CSTV is TINY in comparison to resources of ESPN and Fox. Several of your our theories and wild assumptions are flawed. But its cool.

CSTV is not interested in paying any HBCU decent chedda for broadcasting games.. Unfotunately, the equation is reverse, for HBCUs , from what it should be.

ESPNU and FSN ain't going anywhere. Their parent companies can afford to pay the freight in their collective sleep.

Mike - well done

Your compreghension and intuitive grasp of the currrent broadcast landscape demonstrates an ability to analyze information clearly.

In other words..... you DON'T fall for the okey-doke.

Stay Tuned

y does the SWAC always walk around with egg on our face? U signed a deal, u didn't sign a deal, u didn't anticipate the info leaking, man make up ur minds.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Does CSTV and New Vision has a deal with the SWAC, MEAC & SIAC or not. How can they have a cable when the ESPNU deal is for all sporting events. Can someone clear things up for me please?

Mister.Earl said:
Ralph - "Ducks in a row? " CSTV is TINY in comparison to resources of ESPN and Fox. Several of your our theories and wild assumptions are flawed. But its cool.

CSTV is not interested in paying any HBCU decent chedda for broadcasting games.. Unfotunately, the equation is reverse, for HBCUs , from what it should be.

ESPNU and FSN ain't going anywhere. Their parent companies can afford to pay the freight in their collective sleep.
Mike, as you concurred, its all in how the contract was written.

Earl,
Yes, IMO CSTV blazed this "College-only" network thing and they are well setup. Do they have the resources of ESPN or Fox... no and I never said they did. I do believe that I haven't said anything wild, but if three major college-only networks can co-exist then all the better for college sports fans.

wahines said:
Does CSTV and New Vision has a deal with the SWAC, MEAC & SIAC or not. How can they have a cable when the ESPNU deal is for all sporting events. Can someone clear things up for me please?
I think the distinction is between a contract with the schools or with the Conferences. All three Conferences already chimed in that they control their TV rights, the schools however... The deal is in place and moving forward.

From further research and conversation I have held with a media individual that has researched the deal for more information in regard to this deal.

It is my understanding, while the ESPNU (ESPN deal) is a conference wide deal with exclusive rights to the conference organized championship (tournament events) games and specific conference designated game.

The CSTV deal is with individual schools that are members of the respective conferences listed, to broadcast several individual conference games.

Jafus (Thinker) said:
From further research and conversation I have held with a media individual that has researched the deal for more information in regard to this deal.

It is my understanding, while the ESPNU (ESPN deal) is a conference wide deal with exclusive rights to the conference organized championship (tournament events) games and specific conference designated game.

The CSTV deal is with individual schools that are members of the respective conferences listed, to broadcast several individual conference games.

I was thinking along the same wave link. But I know there are those on this board that works in the field that have more expertise than we and was waiting for them to chime in (thanks Mike:swink: ). Just hope we are getting the max out of this deal.:smug:

GRAM4LIFE said:
Now, that makes a lot more sense...
Doesn't that mean that CSTV gets to pick a game after ESPNU or ESPN Classic has chosen??? Like CBS gets the 1st pick of the SEC, then ESPN, then Jefferson Pilot???

Mister.Earl said:
why were all three conference commissioners so quick to sound the retreat?
Maybe because New Vision doesn't have the authority to negotiate the Conference's TV deals and they didn't want any confusion?

Back