MEAC and SWAC Sign Unprecedented Media Deal

Ralph

Resident, FCSland
MEAC and SWAC Sign Unprecedented Media Deal

... The agreement, created through the exclusive marketing and television agency of the MEAC, SWAC and SIAC, New Vision Sports Properties, gives CSTV exclusive rights to televise regular season and championship football, men?s and women?s basketball and all other men?s and women?s sports from these conferences, and also includes all broadband, high-definition, Internet, video-on-demand, and terrestrial and satellite radio rights.

The cornerstone of the relationship will be an expansion of CSTV?s pre-existing football agreement with the SWAC and will result in the creation of an annual Football Classic Series premiering on CSTV this fall featuring some of the most storied and most intense rivalries in all of college football. CSTV?s Football Classic Series will be a national showcase not only for the actual games on Saturday, but also for the entire weekend experience unique to historically Black universities and colleges.

CSTV?s Football Classic Series Schedule (more games will be added this spring)
Sat., Sept. 24: Atlanta Football Classic, Florida A&M vs. Tennessee State ? 4:00 PM ET
Sat., Oct. 1: Gulf Coast Classic, Alabama St. vs. Southern ? 4:00 PM ET
Sat., Oct. 15: Big Easy Classic, Southern vs. Jackson State ? 8:30 PM ET
Sat., Nov. 19: Capital City Classic, Jackson State vs. Alcorn State ? TBD
-------------
Excellent news and a bigtime deal!

CSTV is carried by Direct Tv. I will have it by August so that I can see all of the Black College Football Games. More Games to add to my collection. :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
wahines said:
CSTV is carried by Direct Tv. I will have it by August so that I can see all of the Black College Football Games. More Games to add to my collection. :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Time Warner also carries it. At least they do up here in Minneapolis. :tup:

First the SWAC and now the MEAC are denying reports that it has signed an exclusive multi-media and marketing deal with College Sports Television (CSTV). MEAC Commissioner Dennis E. Thomas stated that the information released by CSTV and New Vision Sports Properties was not accurate and that the company has no basis for broadcasting MEAC athletic events.

GRAM4LIFE said:
Can't have two exclusive deals; I would think.
I think exclusive is meant differently than all-inclusive. There can be exclusive rights in different areas for example. Get this part though:

?It?s unfortunate that CSTV release this inaccurate information regarding the MEAC,? stated Commissioner Thomas. ?Furthermore, the MEAC has not given any agency or organization the authority to sign over its Television Rights to anyone. I hope that this release brings clarity and closure to the aforementioned.?

Ralph said:
I think exclusive is meant differently than all-inclusive. There can be exclusive rights in different areas for example. Get this part though:

?It?s unfortunate that CSTV release this inaccurate information regarding the MEAC,? stated Commissioner Thomas. ?Furthermore, the MEAC has not given any agency or organization the authority to sign over its Television Rights to anyone. I hope that this release brings clarity and closure to the aforementioned.?
Interesting...

What is the deal with New Vision? It seems these types of releases come out with their name on it, but I have not seen much followup.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Mister.Earl said:
>>I hope the CSTV deal somehow comes through.
Why?
Especially if its bootleg.
Not as a bootleg but if it can become a real deal. The depth and breadth of coverage stated in the release (here) dwarfs the ESPNU and ESPN Classic deal (here).

If this deal is true, then the idiots that put it together in the SWAC offiuce need to have their arses kicked for not understanding what rights they have just given up!

You can give some network the right to broadcast your games, but you don't give them the rights everything else, DUMMIES! You should always have the right to your video, the data from the games, and a number of other things that you idots probably have never thought about since you obviously know nothing about when it comes to TV rights.

Dayum, I'm starting to feel like GR when it comes to the SWAC office. Hire me to do your negotiating, cause it's painful for me to sit here and read how stupid this deal is, if true!

Again, there is nothing wrong with getting TV time, just don't take everything because they say it's good when you don't know what you are doing and signing up for.

Mike said:
If this deal is true, then the idiots that put it together in the SWAC offiuce need to have their arses kicked for not understanding what rights they have just given up! ...
Excuse me. Have you read the contract and know what you are talking about? I haven't read the contract but I'll bet that the CSTV deal was not taking everything the SWAC/MEAC/SIAC has and especially not what you stated. :confused: Afterall, the SWAC already has a contract with CSTV and the SWAC/MEAC already have a contract with ESPNU/Classic for some exclusive rights.

Ralph said:
...and also includes all broadband, high-definition, Internet, video-on-demand, and terrestrial and satellite radio rights...
I believe this is what he is referring to.

GRAM4LIFE said:
I believe this is what he is referring to.
Okay but the article is very vague. "all rights" where/when/how long/etc. you know what I mean? When contracts are signed they usually give rights to someone. If no one was marketing those rights in that specific area then why is it crazy to hire someone to do it, especially someone who has a good track record?

>>If this deal is true, then the idiots that put it together in the SWAC offiuce need to have their arses kicked for not understanding what rights they have just given up!

Mike - it IS a curious deal from a few angles. ESPNU was announced as an "exclusive" deal and now this with CSTV.

First an announcement and then a possible retraction. Why?

ESPNU/ESPN Classic was for "cable exclusives" and other vague stuff ("The new pact also includes distribution rights for MEAC and SWAC programming across numerous ESPN platforms, including ESPN Mobile (wireless), ESPN Interactive, ESPN 360 (formerly ESPN Broadband), ESPN.com, ESPN Pay-Per-View, ESPN Video-on-Demand, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, ESPN Deportes and more.").

Back