McNair traded to the Ravens

If this was any other qb (who wasnt from a SWAC school)... you would be more critical on him... Everyone knows that McNair gets hurt everytime he gets tackled.... when was the last season he made it a full season without getting hurt... As A Titans fan I am glad to see him gone.

DAHILL said:
If this was any other qb (who wasnt from a SWAC school)... you would be more critical on him... Everyone knows that McNair gets hurt everytime he gets tackled.... when was the last season he made it a full season without getting hurt... As A Titans fan I am glad to see him gone.
Hill, Vick is more injury prone than McNair. And I am a Falcon fan.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
DAHILL said:

Nope. The Titans mismanaged that organization. Fisher did his job and so did Mac. Reese and Adams have dropped the ball the last few years. They let players leave that they shouldn't have. Steve got hurt because he had no OL. Not because he was tissue paper. They bungled the restructuring of contracts with Steve and others and they drafted poorly. Look at NE. They paid Tom Brady and still kept key people and the ones they let go they drafted well to replace them. If Mac played behind the Pat's or Steelers OL then he wouldn't have been broken up. That Titans OL lost a player every year to FA.
The facts are that Tenn are not good cap managers. Even Indy has figured a way to keep most of their players. Instead of asking Steve to take pay cuts every year on a promise of a balloon payment. They should have done like Indy did with Manning. Give him all that money upfront in a bonus then have only a smaller salary to count year to year. That's why they were able to keep Harrison and now Reggie Wayne. Edge was a RB so they are deemed expendable. So I can see that rationale. The Titans kept nobody. Kearse,Mason, 2 OL, and others just kept leaving. Heck the only person they paid was Steve. Something aint right in that front office. Vince Young will be running for his life too and unlike the college LBs he faced. These will send his arse to a hospital just like they did Steve.

Blacknbengal said:
Hill, Vick is more injury prone than McNair. And I am a Falcon fan.
I agree but Vick puts himself in those situ ations but scrambling all over the field when he doesnt even have to.... McNair is just getting old and probably wont play two more years in the league. With McNair I use to get scared everytime he was tackled thinking he would miss a week or two.

DAHILL said:
I agree but Vick puts himself in those situ ations but scrambling all over the field when he doesnt even have to.... McNair is just getting old and probably wont play two more years in the league. With McNair I use to get scared everytime he was tackled thinking he would miss a week or two.

Yeah that's because he was getting hit every play because of what? No OL.

Getting upfront money doesn't relieve cap space. Signing bonuses are spread ount and counted against the cap over a number of years. That is why Dallas had so much DEAD MONEY in the late 90s, because in the early 90s, they dished out SIGNING BONUSES and when they cut those players, they didn't have much CAP ROOM because those signing bonuses where still hitting the cap.

Every player knows that they will have to restructure their contract almost the minute after signing it. There is no way that any owner is going to let that signing bonus (which hits the cap heavier each year of the contract) and the salary both hit the salary contract.

This is simply BUSINESS and I don't know what you guys EXPECT. Regardless if he had a good or bad line, the fact is he is very prone to getting hurt.

DAHILL said:

DAHILL, I hope you enjoy Billy Volek (who is also no stranger to injuries) and that pathetic team then, :lmao: McNair was one of the only bright spots on the Titans last year. And this has nothing to do with McNair being from Alcorn. If he was from the University of Florida I would still be saying the Titans treated McNair with little class and they have major front office problems. In two years, Fisher will more than likely be fired for not winning with a team that has NO chance of winning, with a new QB that he and his OC didn't select.

Mr. Tiger said:
In two years, Fisher will more than likely be fired for not winning with a team that has NO chance of winning, with a new QB that he and his OC didn't select.
:lol::nod:

Blacknbengal said:
And so is every other starting QB in the league.

Well, every player in the league is prone to being hurt. The fact that some have a injury list longer than others and some have an injury list that is riskier than others. Each team makes a decision based on the player. The Cowboys a few years ago made the decision that Troy Aikman risk of a concusion was far greater than they were willing to accept, therefore they were not going to resign him. Now, Troy has done more for the Cowboys than McNair has done for the Titans. In the end, both were simply BUSINESS decisions.

Some would say that the Mavericks were STUPID for letting Steve Nash get away, but two years removed the Mavs are in the NBA finals, and Nash is still at home watching. Fact was that Steve Nash had a track record of being worn out in the playoffs and couldn't deliver. Two years removed from Dallas, Steve still has the same problem.

Da_Sperm said:
Well, every player in the league is prone to being hurt. The fact that some have a injury list longer than others and some have an injury list that is riskier than others. Each team makes a decision based on the player. The Cowboys a few years ago made the decision that Troy Aikman risk of a concusion was far greater than they were willing to accept, therefore they were not going to resign him. Now, Troy has done more for the Cowboys than McNair has done for the Titans. In the end, both were simply BUSINESS decisions.

Some would say that the Mavericks were STUPID for letting Steve Nash get away, but two years removed the Mavs are in the NBA finals, and Nash is still at home watching. Fact was that Steve Nash had a track record of being worn out in the playoffs and couldn't deliver. Two years removed from Dallas, Steve still has the same problem.

Frat, you can't compare the two. Steve took his team to the SB and Nash didn't lead Dallas past the 2nd round. Also the way you structure the bonus upfront can help you relieve cap space. Again look at New England and others. Tn management just didn't know how to do it. You take a hit for one year instead of spreading it out is what you do. That's what Peyton and Indy did knowing they had Harrison, James and Wayne contracts coming up. Obviously Edge was the odd man out cause everybody can't get paid like that. But the Titans didn't have all those type of stars to pay. I can see letting Eddie George go. He's a rb. But to allow Kearse, that nice OL I can' think of his name, and that other DT, pluse Mason and Rolle bounce was all on them. Lastly like I said they drafted very poorly and got nothing to replace the players that left. Look at Pittsburgh, they don't overpay anybody and when they lose a FA they draft so damn well they come out just fine.

BTW, Aikman injury was different. You can get a concussion without being roughed up after getting so many. Dallas had no choice. His OL was still decent. But once you get those concussions to re-occur it is over for you.....see Merrill Hodge, Steve Young and another Dallas HOF Qb Roger Staubach. As long as Mac is able to stand in the pocket and get the ball off without running for his life on every play, then he will be fine. Not to mention a good run game keeps a Qb healthy. He hasn't had one of those in Tn in years. I blame this whole fiasco on Reese and Adams. Jeff Fisher and Norm Chow both are ticked off. They wanted Mac to stay if they were drafting Young and if Mac was leaving they wanted Leinart. Young was Reese's pick. You watch how fast Jeff Fisher looks for a job if Tn struggles. He is still a good coach. But you can clearly tell he is aggravated with this whole fiasco. Should be interesting to watch the sub-plot.

McNair PASSES PHYSICAL

June 8, 2006

ADVERTISEMENT
McNair passes physical, officially joins Ravens

The Associated Press

NASHVILLE ? Steve McNair is the new starting quarterback of the Baltimore Ravens.

McNair, a Mount Olive native and former Alcorn State star, passed his physical this morning and immediately jumped to the top of the depth chart ahead of Kyle Boller. The Ravens called a late afternoon news conference to announce McNair?s long-awaited arrival via a trade with the Tennessee Titans.

The Titans swapped the longtime face of their franchise and a fan favorite for what is believed to be a fourth-round pick in next spring?s draft.

The former league MVP is expected to upgrade a position that has been filled over the past 10 years by numerous quarterbacks with lesser credentials than McNair, a three-time Pro Bowler.

A strained right pectoral kept McNair out of Tennessee?s regular-season finale, and the Titans wanted him to take a new physical before working out with them again. But Ravens coach Brian Billick, knowing McNair needed to pass the physical to complete the trade, had no such worries.

?As I understand it, he was cleared to play in the Pro Bowl,? Billick said. ?That one, I?ll leave it to a higher pay grade than me to figure out how someone can fail an exit physical but be cleared to play in the Pro Bowl. I?m a little confused about that myself.?

McNair missed two games in 2005 after missing eight in 2004 and needing surgery to repair his aching sternum. McNair was left home on a road trip to Arizona to avoid aggravating his back on the long flight because he had a discectomy in 1999, and he strained his pectoral muscle at the end of the season.

Ravens receiver Derrick Mason, cut by Tennessee in a salary cap-move in February 2005, believes his friend has plenty left after watching McNair a couple times last season. McNair threw for 3,161 yards and 16 touchdowns with 11 interceptions.

?I figure he?s still got two, three, four years left in him if he doesn?t take the shots that he did in previous years,? Mason said.

McNair, who turned 33 in February, was Tennessee?s winningest quarterback in franchise history. In 11 seasons, he went 81-59 and shared the MVP award with Peyton Manning three years ago.

He?s one of only four players in NFL history with 150 touchdowns passing and 35 rushing, trailing only Steve Young, Randall Cunningham and Steve Grogan. He?s one of five with 25,000 yards passing and 3,000 yards rushing, a group that includes John Elway, Fran Tarkenton, Young and Randall Cunningham.

During his MVP season, McNair had a 100.4 passer rating and led the Titans to a wild-card playoff victory over the Ravens in Baltimore and came up short on a late drive in a divisional loss at New England.

The trade gives the Ravens the first star quarterback, with McNair expected to start for the team that ended the Titans? bid for a second straight Super Bowl appearance in 2001. That loss is merely one piece of the former AFC Central rivalry featuring physical games and trash-talking between the coaches.

?You can tell that from his mannerisms on the field and how he portrays and handles himself. He definitely brings some stability to the quarterback position,? said tight end Todd Heap, who played with McNair in the Pro Bowl.

Boller, the Ravens? incumbent QB, conceded on Tuesday that McNair would likely be the starter.

?I?m just out here competing and trying to get this offense where it needs to be,? Boller said. ?I?m going about my business right now like I?m the starter. That?s the only way I can think of it.?

The trade resulted from the Titans? inability to reduce McNair?s $9 million salary for 2006 and his $23.46 million salary cap hit resulting from reworking his contract repeatedly in recent years.

The quarterback won a grievance last week that allowed him to return to the team?s headquarters and work out after being told he couldn?t on April 3.

But the Titans had given McNair?s Hattiesburg-based agent Bus Cook permission to talk with Baltimore on April 30 about a contract, and Cook worked out a five-year deal with an $11 million signing bonus and $1 million salary for 2006.

That was much more than McNair could get from the Titans, who had drafted quarterback Vince Young of Texas with the third overall pick in April. The Titans declined to comment after issuing a brief statement announcing the trade.

?The bottom line is, it?s in everybody?s best interest to look to the future and not to the past,? Cook said.

Da_Sperm said:
Fact was that Steve Nash had a track record of being worn out in the playoffs and couldn't deliver. Two years removed from Dallas, Steve still has the same problem.

Bout time you admitted this. It took him changing uniforms to do it.

Mr. Tiger said:
DAHILL, I hope you enjoy Billy Volek (who is also no stranger to injuries) and that pathetic team then, :lmao: McNair was one of the only bright spots on the Titans last year. And this has nothing to do with McNair being from Alcorn. If he was from the University of Florida I would still be saying the Titans treated McNair with little class and they have major front office problems. In two years, Fisher will more than likely be fired for not winning with a team that has NO chance of winning, with a new QB that he and his OC didn't select.

I agree. As I said often this is typical of an organization run by Bud Adams.

Don't be surprised if you see Baltimore in the Superbowl. If they can average at least 20 pts a game they will be tough.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
PsychoJag said:
Don't be surprised if you see Baltimore in the Superbowl. If they can average at least 20 pts a game they will be tough.

They will definitely be tough. But that AFC aint no joke. Pittsburgh, Indy, NE, Denver, an improving Miami team and if Carson Palmer is ready to play then Cincy will be back in the mix. Not to mention up and coming teams like Jacksonville, and KC still getting better. Should be interesting.

JR,
I agree with you that Steve should have stayed around at least one more year if nothing but to be a mentor for Vince. Its dumb to draft a QB and throw him into the fire. An NFL QB must learn to SIT in the pocket and allow things to develop and not use their natural instinct and RUN. I'm not sure if Vince is really that kind of QB yet, Vick surely isn't.

JR said:
Nope. The Titans mismanaged that organization. Fisher did his job and so did Mac. Reese and Adams have dropped the ball the last few years. They let players leave that they shouldn't have. Steve got hurt because he had no OL. Not because he was tissue paper. They bungled the restructuring of contracts with Steve and others and they drafted poorly. Look at NE. They paid Tom Brady and still kept key people and the ones they let go they drafted well to replace them. If Mac played behind the Pat's or Steelers OL then he wouldn't have been broken up. That Titans OL lost a player every year to FA.
The facts are that Tenn are not good cap managers. Even Indy has figured a way to keep most of their players. Instead of asking Steve to take pay cuts every year on a promise of a balloon payment. They should have done like Indy did with Manning. Give him all that money upfront in a bonus then have only a smaller salary to count year to year. That's why they were able to keep Harrison and now Reggie Wayne. Edge was a RB so they are deemed expendable. So I can see that rationale. The Titans kept nobody. Kearse,Mason, 2 OL, and others just kept leaving. Heck the only person they paid was Steve. Something aint right in that front office. Vince Young will be running for his life too and unlike the college LBs he faced. These will send his arse to a hospital just like they did Steve.

And there you have it.

And on top of that, the Titans have the sorriest fans. No loyalty what so ever. They're just stuck with those PSLs.

Let me preface my remarks by saying I am a Redskin fan and could care less about the AFC .....

While I'll agree McNair had to get away from them batches in Tennessee and the fact that the Titans ain't going no where fast, even with Vince Young, the RAVENS ain't that much better.

They are now banking on a trying to get it together Jamal Lewis, whoever his backup is (chester Taylor or Musa Smith), unfortunately oft-injured McNair, and a passing game that Bilick has not been able to get going with numerous quarterbacks. Their defense isn't getting any younger and they have to go through Cincinnati and Pittsburgh to have any chance of getting to the playoffs.

He just traded dog sh#t for horse sh#t.

Just give McNair some protection, and he'll do the rest. Folks seem to forget that McNair in 2003 was the best QB in the NFL along with Peyton. McNair is only 33. For a QB, that's still prime.

PsychoJag said:
I wouldn't be surprised. I would be SHOCKED!!!

The only thing that is stable on the team IS the O-line. Almost everything else is in near-disarray - including Ray Lewis.

purplerush said:
............remember when Tampa Bay let Doug go and he went to the Redskins.

I sure do. I grew up outside of Tampa and went to my freshman year at JSU the year that Doug was drafted. When I graduated I went to work just outside D.C. in '83 and moved back home in '87...just as Doug made his run to the Superbowl with the 'Skins.

McNair ain't Doug and Baltimore '06 sho'nuff ain't the Skins '87.:smh: :smh:

there is a good chance steve will have a lot of sucess w/ the ravens. a couple of things. the titans handled this poorly, but...they have a history of this. remember randell godfried, lb...took a pay cut for the team then they cut him about a month b/f the season started. warren moon...they let him go, tried to say he was done...but turns out that he had plenty left and if not for major collapses would have been in the SB w/ the vikings. so this is just what the titans do, if you play there you're probably not going to retire a titan unless your a surefire hall o famer (see bruce matthews). the titans were going no where fast. they had gotten rid of all their proven talent, the team has no real direction in that they don't know what they want to be. you can be slightly better than one diminsional and win in the nfl (see the ravens championship). as for steve and injuries, I'd think you dahill, the self proclaimed titans fan that you are would agree w/ the assessment of all of us other "used to be titans fans" that their o-line is just awful. I mean, is it just that all the titans qbs are injury prone or the line is bad? steve injury prone, ok billy volek is in. volek is injury prone too. neil o'donell...what's that...he got broke up there too? chris chandler? the list is long. they don't invest in the offensive line. I can't tell you the last lineman they took in the 1st round and last year taking one in the 2nd round was nearly cause to throw a party. that's why mcnair has been broken up in recent years despite staying in the pocket. it's just that he had too much company in the pocket.

speaking of that ravens superbowl win....I imagine they are going to try and duplicate that formula. if jamal lewis is healthy and that defense does what it has been doing, they'll be in the playoffs and have a chance for ring #2. the problem over there has been that they haven't been able to develop qb's. Mac doesn't really need to be coached, just give him the playbook. they control the game w/ the run game and their defense and let mac make plays when they need him too.....funny, I said that was the ravens formula to their sb win, but it was also the formula the titans used when they almost won.......maybe they should get back to that.

steve doesn't have to throw for 40 tds and 4k yards. manning does it every year and even w/ the refs help he can't sniff a championship. in baltimore steve will have the weapons to win football games. he doesn't have to be the young steve....he only has to be an efficient steve to make a playoff push.

major095 said:
there is a good chance steve will have a lot of sucess w/ the ravens. a couple of things. the titans handled this poorly, but...they have a history of this. remember randell godfried, lb...took a pay cut for the team then they cut him about a month b/f the season started. warren moon...they let him go, tried to say he was done...but turns out that he had plenty left and if not for major collapses would have been in the SB w/ the vikings. so this is just what the titans do, if you play there you're probably not going to retire a titan unless your a surefire hall o famer (see bruce matthews). the titans were going no where fast. they had gotten rid of all their proven talent, the team has no real direction in that they don't know what they want to be. you can be slightly better than one diminsional and win in the nfl (see the ravens championship). as for steve and injuries, I'd think you dahill, the self proclaimed titans fan that you are would agree w/ the assessment of all of us other "used to be titans fans" that their o-line is just awful. I mean, is it just that all the titans qbs are injury prone or the line is bad? steve injury prone, ok billy volek is in. volek is injury prone too. neil o'donell...what's that...he got broke up there too? chris chandler? the list is long. they don't invest in the offensive line. I can't tell you the last lineman they took in the 1st round and last year taking one in the 2nd round was nearly cause to throw a party. that's why mcnair has been broken up in recent years despite staying in the pocket. it's just that he had too much company in the pocket.

speaking of that ravens superbowl win....I imagine they are going to try and duplicate that formula. if jamal lewis is healthy and that defense does what it has been doing, they'll be in the playoffs and have a chance for ring #2. the problem over there has been that they haven't been able to develop qb's. Mac doesn't really need to be coached, just give him the playbook. they control the game w/ the run game and their defense and let mac make plays when they need him too.....funny, I said that was the ravens formula to their sb win, but it was also the formula the titans used when they almost won.......maybe they should get back to that.

steve doesn't have to throw for 40 tds and 4k yards. manning does it every year and even w/ the refs help he can't sniff a championship. in baltimore steve will have the weapons to win football games. he doesn't have to be the young steve....he only has to be an efficient steve to make a playoff push.

:nod2: Co-Sign. The road will be tough just because the AFC is better now than it was when the Ravens went to the Super Bowl in 2001. But I do agree they have a chance. Especially if Lewis and Mike Anderson can run the ball.

Back