Malik Newman commits to Hail State

Not surprised, everyone knew he was going to Miss. State. His father Horatio Webster played at Miss. State.

I'm not surprised either. He could be with a few fish in a big pond in Kentucky or a big fish in a smaller pond in Starkville.

He better have a better team around him then. Because if I am not mistaken, didn't MSU had to cheat to beat Jackson St. by 5 or less points?

He better have a better team around him then. Because if I am not mistaken, didn't MSU had to cheat to beat Jackson St. by 5 or less points?

They didn't play JSU this past season. MSU is not a basketball dynasty, they finished 13-19 this year. I guess Malik thinks he and the new "massa" (coach), can turn the basketball program around at MSU.

Bad move. Oh well. He would have been better off at JSU. Disappointed in my homeboy. Daddy sold him out. Now if he don't average at least 20 plus points on that team. Folks going to say he is a bust. Howland couldn't keep UCLA revelant. After a couple of Final Four berths. That speaks volumes. Not like it's hard to recruit at UCLA.

Bad move. Oh well. He would have been better off at JSU. Disappointed in my homeboy. Daddy sold him out. Now if he don't average at least 20 plus points on that team. Folks going to say he is a bust. Howland couldn't keep UCLA revelant. After a couple of Final Four berths. That speaks volumes. Not like it's hard to recruit at UCLA.
Howland's issue was he struggled with team discipline and let it get out of control for the sake of winning. He is a solid coach when he has his locker room under control.

Lol @ he'll be better off at JSU..........riiiiiiiight.

The kid's dad played at State. This really ain't that big of a shocker, especially when they made the move to bring in Howland. Don't know if ya'll checked but State has another 4-star kid coming in that committed under Rick Ray and stayed with that commitment in Quinndary Weatherspoon, who can shoot the cover off the ball. State is about to get back to winning in basketball.

Miss State is not going to put any money in it's basketball program, he should have chosen Ole Miss over Miss. State.

You do realize State JUST built a whole new basketball practice facility a couple years ago right? Don't let the last couple years under Rick Ray fool you, Outside of Florida and Kentucky, State has been among the most consist schools in the SEC. Go look at what they did under Rick Stansbury and Richard Williams.

It really doesn't matter where he goes. He's already a projected Top 5 pick for the 2016 NBA Draft. He doesn't need college. Colleges need him. Starkville is just a place for him to stay in shape until he is eligible for the draft.

All this UK talk is moot. He's played with and against all of those guys before already. So the scouts know what he can do. And they know what he needs to work on. I wouldn't be surprised if Howland lands Thon Maker, too.

You do realize State JUST built a whole new basketball practice facility a couple years ago right? Don't let the last couple years under Rick Ray fool you, Outside of Florida and Kentucky, State has been among the most consist schools in the SEC. Go look at what they did under Rick Stansbury and Richard Williams.
Only if Ben Howland learns how to control his players. He completely lost control of his locker room at UCLA.

It really doesn't matter where he goes. He's already a projected Top 5 pick for the 2016 NBA Draft. He doesn't need college. Colleges need him. Starkville is just a place for him to stay in shape until he is eligible for the draft.

All this UK talk is moot. He's played with and against all of those guys before already. So the scouts know what he can do. And they know what he needs to work on. I wouldn't be surprised if Howland lands Thon Maker, too.

Not so fast. The Harrison twins at KU thought that very same thing coming out of HS - 2 years later they'll be lucky to sneak into the 1st round. If Malik doesn't play well he can find himself in the same boat. Some of these would be better off if they let high schoolers in the draft.

Not so fast. The Harrison twins at KU thought that very same thing coming out of HS - 2 years later they'll be lucky to sneak into the 1st round. If Malik doesn't play well he can find himself in the same boat. Some of these would be better off if they let high schoolers in the draft.

True. But that goes back to my point: Going to a more prestigious program really didn't help them in the end did it? Let's say they would've stayed in Texas and went to Texas A&M. Would it have made a difference? The correct answer is: We don't know. Either you're an NBA talent or you aren't. So again, all of the "he should've went to Kentucky" talk is moot.

True. But that goes back to my point: Going to a more prestigious program really didn't help them in the end did it? Let's say they would've stayed in Texas and went to Texas A&M. Would it have made a difference? The correct answer is: We don't know. Either you're an NBA talent or you aren't. So again, all of the "he should've went to Kentucky" talk is moot.

I got you. At Kentucky he would've sacrificed minutes and offensive touches in exchange for the chance to play at the highest stage and for a coach known to produce one and dones. Plus Kentucky's style isn't really the best for guards.

Malik's best bet was probably Duke.

I got you. At Kentucky he would've sacrificed minutes and offensive touches in exchange for the chance to play at the highest stage and for a coach known to produce one and dones. Plus Kentucky's style isn't really the best for guards.

Malik's best bet was probably Duke.
Yes, Duke would've been a good fit for him, but I'm sure glad he didn't go there. LOL

Back