LSU-SU game not practical

THAMES

Some of this makes sense. North Carolina is not on the same level as LSU. We played Washington State and Louisiville, but it ain't the same. The article paints a good picture why Board members should let the AD and head coach make schedules. In games like this LSU's black players would play like Supermen. They wouldn't hold back. They would show their azz. How much money is SU trying to get?

---------------------------------------------------------

Rabalais: LSU-SU game not practical

By SCOTT RABALAIS
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Jun 21, 2006

Page 1 of 2
single page view

Tony Clayton?s heart is in the right place when he talks about the financial good and potential goodwill generated from an LSU-Southern football game.

But one wonders if the Southern Board of Supervisors member has considered how many hearts ? and other vital organs ? belonging to Southern football players might be displaced by the Jaguars having to try to tackle the Tigers.

The disparity in talent is wider than most LSU fans think or Southern fans are likely to admit.

In the last 20 years, Southern has had 17 players selected in the NFL draft, two since 2000. In the last 20 years, LSU has had 81 players drafted, 34 since 2000, seven taken just this year.

Link...( read the story)

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/3200186.html?index=1&c=y

Re: LSU-SU game not prtactical

The advocate is full of hit. They never are opinionated or critical of LSU. They were discussing this same issue on BR sports talk radio last week.

I think the injury thing is overstated (just a year or 2 ago all these kids played together in high school) but most of the rest of it is reasonable. For some, the truth just hurts. Except the last statement, we don't need LSU to bail us out finacially, but Tony Clayton sure made it seem that way.

Anyone notice that Rabalais suggested that we make a classic-caliber game at LSU? I wouldn't give them a dime if I had to. Plus, I'd rather do without their money anyway. If it takes getting it like this, they can shove it where the sun don't shine. We don't need to cower and shame ourselves before these folks for a few hundred thousand bucks.

:nod: :nod: Like I said .... Duke, ULL, ULM, Temple, or Vandy! :lol:

LSU has talent, but they would not beat SU up the way Rabalais is painting this picture.

cat daddy said:
LSU has talent, but they would not beat SU up the way Rabalais is painting this picture.
:tup: :tup: They can't even score 40 on Troy! :smh:

What if was McNeese or Northwestern asking for a game?
I bet the comments would be different.

cat daddy said:

In one of our better years, they would not. On one of our bad years, they would. Look at how many points Grambling put up on us last year.

Lewis said:
In one of our better years, they would not. On one of our bad years, they would. Look at how many points Grambling put up on us last year.
SU 93 would have given them a series game.

Lewis said:
I think the injury thing is overstated (just a year or 2 ago all these kids played together in high school) but most of the rest of it is reasonable. For some, the truth just hurts. Except the last statement, we don't need LSU to bail us out finacially, but Tony Clayton sure made it seem that way.

I agree. The injury thing is being blown way of out proporation.

Now, I don't understand why Tony Clayton is so adamant about playng LSU. IMO, it has little to do money and must be some hidden agenda on his part. I just don't see the reasoning behind begging for a game that probably would only pay 100K more than a SU home game. I hope he doesn't believe the nonsense that this is some community building event between the races in BR.

I'm disappointed in Clayton's statement, (and I'm paraphasing) "No one loves LSU more than me, but I love Southern too." Southern is first always if you have anything to do with the Jaguar Nation. All of your energy should be devoted in making SU into a greater university, keeping the autonomy as far away from LSU as possible, and being innovative and willing to make change at SU first. We don't need LSU dollars. Southern has been around since 1880 without the help of LSU and will continue to stand just as long as we have people with vision and willingness to accept change that will make Southern the best HBCU.

After thinking about it, I think this was a political move to get them to sign that peice of paper today.

Jag Voice said:
I agree. The injury thing is being blown way of out proporation.

Now, I don't understand why Tony Clayton is so adamant about playng LSU. IMO, it has little to do money and must be some hidden agenda on his part. I just don't see the reasoning behind begging for a game that probably would only pay 100K more than a SU home game. I hope he doesn't believe the nonsense that this is some community building event between the races in BR.

I think he wants to show he can make them do something and that he can make things happen.

Southern has been around since 1880 without the help of LSU
Although no harm was meant by this statement, I think that this is not really the direction things are heading. LSU and Southern work together on lots of things and they should, both academically and athleticly. For example, Skip playing Southern every year in baseball and coming to Lee-Hines and playing. There are many other examples (many I won't post) We just need to do things that make sense.

I could care less what Rabalais has to say about SU. He was on of the main n*tt riders on the Curly Hallman train, Dinardo train, Saban(is our savior) train and the LES Roll train. One of my frat brothers works for the Advocate with Rabalais...it's LSU or nothing. Point is... Pete has seen 4 different coaches come and go at LSU. Dare I say...If Les doesn't handle his business...make that 5 coaches.

Jaguar94 said:
What if was McNeese or Northwestern asking for a game?
I bet the comments would be different.

I don't know about the comments but we've been there and done that. They essentially said "thanks but no thanks". Come back if you win the I-AA National Championship and we will think about it. They have no interest in playing an in-state I-AA team even though they have played several out of state I-AA's.

If they play one in-state I-AA team, they will face a lot of pressure to eventually play them all.

Doc

McNeese72 said:
I don't know about the comments but we've been there and done that. They essentially said "thanks but no thanks". Come back if you win the I-AA National Championship and we will think about it. They have no interest in playing an in-state I-AA team even though they have played several out of state I-AA's.

If they play one in-state I-AA team, they will face a lot of pressure to eventually play them all.

Doc
My comments were mainly toward the issue of 1A vs. 1AA and the thought of being injured and overmatched.

McNeese didn't think that when they had the lead in the 4th at Texas A&M nor did they when they made long drives down the field agnst. Miami.

Injuries can happen agnst. anyone. And not every 1aa team lsu has played was defending 1aa champs. Why support other 1aa when there's 6 in state.

THAMES said:
In games like this LSU's black players would play like Supermen. They wouldn't hold back. They would show their azz. ]

100% correct.

Not that I think we need to play LSU. But that article pisses me off. LSU aint going to break up all our players. Sheesh. Didn't FAMU play Miami when they were kicking arse and taking names. I seem to remember FAMU being okay afterwards. Outside of SU's ego being bruised, I don't think those players will kill ours except for on the scoreboard. Scott acts like LSU has men of steel over there or something.

Jaguar94 said:
My comments were mainly toward the issue of 1A vs. 1AA and the thought of being injured and overmatched.

McNeese didn't think that when they had the lead in the 4th at Texas A&M nor did they when they made long drives down the field agnst. Miami.

Injuries can happen agnst. anyone. And not every 1aa team lsu has played was defending 1aa champs. Why support other 1aa when there's 6 in state.

Oh, I definitely agree with you on those points. The arguments about injuries is the tired old argument that I-A fans make who are against playing I-A opponents. We have played Miami, Texas A&M, Nebraska, Kansas St. and USM (ULM, too, but they really don't count :swink: ) in the last few years and we didn't have anymore injuries in those games than we did in any of the other games those seasons.

And I agree with you on them needing to support the I-AA schools in the state instead of playing out of state I-AA schools. We have tried for years and our fans have debated the LSU fans on that subject for years.

I wasn't supporting LSU, I was saying what their arguments would be no matter which state I-AA team was involved. We've seen them all. Including it would hurt their BCS ratings, even though they played a I-AA team the year they won the NC.

Doc

McNeese72 is correct. If LSU played 1 D1AA in the state, then they would face tremendous pressure to play all of them asap. Folks would be looking at thier schedule to find the first date feasable and complain like crazy if they didn't get it.

Now, even though they play a few D1AA's they can pick and choose mainly when they cannot find anyone else to play. If I was them, I wouldn't do it.

Back