L.C. Cole coaching in Montgomery again...

Re: Could L.C. Cole be coaching in Montgomery again...

JSU/99 said:
Not really. This season will make 4 years he's been without a head-coaching job. And all of those years has been as an assistant at lowly schools. And he wasn't all that great at Bama State any.

Now Mike White on the other hand....that's a scary thought.

He kicked JSU but when he was at JSU! No SMACK, Just keeping it real!!

While the pay in Montgomery may not be the best for high school coaches, the Alabama Teachers Retirement System cannot be beat. L.C. has some time in already. Perhaps he's looking at getting a few more years in and becoming vested. Then if he receives a judgement from the University, it may contain language that forces them to buy back the time he has missed since the firing. That would make the high school job more attractive.

Just my $.02 .

thegooddoctor said:
Did L.C. sue Alabama state?????

yep...it's still out there. bama state settled w/ his brother but he has to keep his mouth shut about the arrangements. until this ncaa stuff gets settled it's just going to hang in the air. it doesn't help that late last year bama state hired the guy who ran famu's presentation to the ncaa. if you recalled he argued that famu had committed violations.....and they were all coach joes fault. it was curious b/c most schools come in and try to minimize what happened. not this dude, he tried to make it worse than it was....so they could nail the coach and not pay him remainder of his contract. he's expected to try and do the same for bama state. funny...the ncaa rejected his argument and cleared joe of any major violations. if they do that for l c cole, he won't have to worry about where he works. he'll be able to go watch the hornets play in l c cole stadium in his private booth. they'll owe him so much money he'll own the place.

JR said:
Robber, when dealing with SU politics nothing is a lock. LOL. I am sure there will be some Cole supporters and a bunch of Cole haters. In my opinion the guy most SU folks will say is a front runner is West Virginia OC Calvin MaGee who was all SWAC TE when I first got to SU and went on to play for Tampa Bay. I would think his name would be at the top of the list. Especially in light of how well he is doing working under Rich Rodriguez. They have some La and Bama boys on that squad too. So I know he is recruiting some folks. So him being a former SU player will make him a sentimental favorite. But who knows who will apply for our job. Heck we thought Avery Johnson would be available for basketball but he done blown up in the NBA, so if WVA keeps doing well, who knows if Calvin would even want our job.

The good thing for us is that we can pay a good enough salary to get pretty much who we want within reason of course. LC at SU is a scary thought for alot of folks though.:devil2:

JR,

If Pete wins the SWAC in one (or both) of his last two years, do you still think he will retire? I heard that LC had the SU job on lock too...but, what do I know? I am just a JSU grad. :D

I think LC at SU would be a scary thought. Also, about the UWV OC, SU has not typically handled their business that way. Although the guy is successful, SU typically goes after a person with a winning record as a Head coach. I honestly look for SU to go after LC or a top D2 coach like James "Mike" White. I could also see you guys trying to steal a guy like Al Lavan from Del State. He makes more than Pete but the cost of living difference is huge and SU should be a more attractive job than Del State. You can always hire James Bell.

Ala State,

I don't know if you guys will have much luck getting rid of Coe after a championship season in 04.

TNState,

You will be looking for a new coach after the Southern Heritage Classic. Your coach is pretty bad. You all should be begging to get LC back. Where is Reese these days??

I also think that A&T made a mistake in hiring Fobbs. I think they would have done better hiring the coach from Fayetteville State.

Fayetteville? :lmao:

I mentioned his name to a supporter once he started to go off instantly...Phillips is better suited for D2....he makes the rules work for him

Tigerpride said:
JR,

If Pete wins the SWAC in one (or both) of his last two years, do you still think he will retire? I heard that LC had the SU job on lock too...but, what do I know? I am just a JSU grad. :D

I think LC at SU would be a scary thought. Also, about the UWV OC, SU has not typically handled their business that way. Although the guy is successful, SU typically goes after a person with a winning record as a Head coach. I honestly look for SU to go after LC or a top D2 coach like James "Mike" White. I could also see you guys trying to steal a guy like Al Lavan from Del State. He makes more than Pete but the cost of living difference is huge and SU should be a more attractive job than Del State. You can always hire James Bell.

Ala State,

I don't know if you guys will have much luck getting rid of Coe after a championship season in 04.

TNState,

You will be looking for a new coach after the Southern Heritage Classic. Your coach is pretty bad. You all should be begging to get LC back. Where is Reese these days??

I also think that A&T made a mistake in hiring Fobbs. I think they would have done better hiring the coach from Fayetteville State.

TP, add Comegy name to the list of future SU coaches. As you are aware, the Jags will raid the conference for successful coaches. :emlaugh: If Comegy is successful at JSU, I see him being offered the SU job. That would open up a bidding war and raise the pay for all SWAC coaches.

J C said:
TP, add Comegy name to the list of future SU coaches. As you are aware, the Jags will raid the conference for successful coaches. :emlaugh: If Comegy is successful at JSU, I see him being offered the SU job. That would open up a bidding war and raise the pay for all SWAC coaches.

I think Steve Wilson would add another dimension to the already potent Jaguar offense not to mention "Dog Day" Defense.

J C said:

That would certainly not be out of the question but I don't think SU will want Comegy in two years. They hired Pete when he was around 45. I don't know how old LC is but Comegy will be 55 by the time Pete "steps down" in two years. I don't think Comegy is going to want to rebuild at JSU and then take on another challenge. He will already be two years ahead of any SU coach.

Also, I don't think SU is going to TRY to offer their new HC 200K. They are doing that for Pete as a "Thank you". If they want Comegy, they will have to go back up to the 200K range to make the transition worth the while. I would hope JSU would not try to match such a salary. Regardless, I am not worried about SU taking a JSU coach. It's you other schools who need to be worried.

I don't think any amount of money could pry Comegy from JSU. He has wanted the JSU specifically for YEARS. Openings have been at 4 of the other big 6 (FAMU, TNState, A&T, Grambling) in recent years, and he did not apply. He won't apply for the SU job either. That is not to say that they won't go after him.

the band fan said:
Fayetteville? :lmao:

I mentioned his name to a supporter once he started to go off instantly...Phillips is better suited for D2....he makes the rules work for him

Maybe so but I am not sold on Fobbs and I think Phillips would have done better than him. It's not like Fayetteville State is a football school with a lot of resources. I like to look for coaches who can do a lot with a little.

DO ANY OF YOU GUYS SEE BILLY JOE COACHING IN THE SWAC CONFERENCE IN THE NEAR FUTURE? I'M TALKING ABOUT EITHER ALCORN STATE OR TEXAS SOUTHERN..

Tigerpride said:
JR,

Ala State,

TNState,

TP,
Knowing the SU politics it is hard to say what will happen. Our Board of Supervisors are probably being lobbied by the next coach already. LOL. I think even if Pete wins the SWAC the next 2 years, he would be hard pressed to get more money. At this point he is as high as he can go and of course his age. He can't win nothing more than he has already done in the past since we don't participate in the playoffs. So winning the SWAC will not give him leverage. Plus I think SU will look at it like this is the right timing to grab a good coach to succeed one that has done our program well. With the salaries increasing out there. You can't just sit around and wait or some of the coaches we desire may be gone.

Also please believe that SU alum Cal Magee will get consideration if he wants it. One thing for sure. If SU can get one of its own that is qualified then we would. Avery Johnson would be at SU now if he had not made inroads in the NBA to be a coach. So there will be some Magee supporters. The good thing is that it is not likely no matter how good of coach he is at WVA........he will not get an Avery Johnson like opportunity in football. So his best chance to be a Head Coach will be at SU or another HBCU.

The LC Cole thing has been a rumor for awhile. In my opinion, I think he will have some opposition from some SU folks just because of the alledged issues associated with his job at TnSU and Bama State. That will hurt him. But if the right SU folks are behind him then it will be a moot point on what others think. It will be interesting to say the least. The good thing is because of Pete's salary........alot of coaches will apply when that opening comes up. So we will be able to attract a good coach. So who knows who name will emerge in 2 years.:nod:

:winkgrin:

Would a LC and Richardson connection help LC for the SU position?

Re: Former ASU Coach Coles Lands at,,,, sidney lanier high school????

What do you think this will do for ASU ability to recruit at Sidney Lanier. Remember, T Jackson AND Keldrick Williams played high school ball for Sidney Lanier....so this could be an issue for future recruits.

Hmmmm....wonder if Cole is saying "ASU - Pay me what you owe me and I will let you talk to recruits".....

After the meeting, Miller said he received a couple of phone calls from people connected to ASU earlier in the day telling him to be aware that Joe Reed was trying to "scuttle L.C.'s hiring."

MH, you alerted Miller about Reed's plan?

hornetboy01 said:
All this underhanded stuff with Joe Reed is a shame, dam shame!!

What in the world is wrong with Joe Reed? I can see if he has problems and doesn't want L.C. at ASU,,, but a gotdayum high school in Montgomery??? This guy's ego is out of control. He's become worse than Emory Folmar ruling with an iron fist. Joe,,,, turn the fncking page man.

Back