Knicks finally fire Larry Brown......

Mr. SWAC said:
Hell Phil Jackson should be at the VERY TOP of that list. Without a doubt the most overrated coach in the NBA.

Nah man. He may have had lucky breaks to coach great players. But the fact of the matter Phil got them to win titles. 9 titles is just too many to sneeze at. A lot of coaches have had talent and done squat with them. Plus he was a motivator. He is probably the only reason the Lakers made the playoffs this year with that one man show called Kobe.

HBCUs said:
Didn't you once state that Dean Smith was overrated? LMAO!!!
Yup, and he was. He managed to hold down some hella players.

Every year, he had the pick of talent in the country and he managed to win just two championships. And both of those were on flukes!!!!
Fred Brown throws the ball away and Chris Webber calls timeout.

as for Larry Brown, the bottom line is that, in 22 years, his W-L record is a lil over .500, he's won just one title, coached 9 teams. IMO, that doesn't rise to the level of being great.
Good maybe, but not great

JR said:
LOL @MH. You better take that non coaching Rudy T off the list. That is my argument. Some coaches have been just lucky to win titles. As much as I love Phil Jackson. He is a good motivator and master of dealing with egos. But he had 2 great situations. My rankings of great NBA coaches based on the sheer coaching ability is as follows

1. Red Auerbach........based on winning with different Boston teams and his run was great. Plus he knew how to beat Wilt.

2. Pat Riley...... this title sealed it for me. He took three teams to the Finals

3. Phil Jackson.......9 titles aint nothing to sneeze at.

4. Lenny Wilkens

5. Larry Brown
6. Chuck Daley

7. Jack Ramsey

8. Gregg Poppovich

9. REd Holtzman

10. Jerry Sloan

11. Hubie Brown

12. Cotton Fitzsimmons

13. Gene Shue

14. Dick Motta

15. Bill Fitch

16. Billy Cunningham

17. Rick Adelman

18 Al Attles

19 Don Nelson
20. KC Jones

21. John Macleod

22. George Karl

23 Doug Moe

JR you may have a point about Phil but regardless of his situation he won. The two teams he won with, the coaches they had prior to him and after him didnt win. The Lakers didnt win another one until he got there and Chicago will never win another one,especially with Skiles.

dude is like a rich nomad. He travels from team to team with the hypocritical crap "Play the Right Way". You already know before you sign him he won't be there long, so why even bother. This cat is the ultimate con-artist. He got out of a deal with Philly, Detroit, and NY and they all still gone cut him some checks.

JR said:
:tup: You shole is right frat.

Now Brown did contribute to the media mess in NY with all the back and forth banter with Starbury. But is sure isn't all his fault they suck.

This is true about the Knicks. They have had problems for a lot of years-even when they were winning. They were "capped out" then and could not make that extra move to win an NBA title like Detriot, Chicago, Houston, San Antonio, and Los Angeles did.

I am not surprised that the Knicks are this horrible. I just thought it would have happened sooner.

D-NICE said:
How many teams have Brown coached that had the horses that those coaches you named had?

Stopping at 14 is being modest, because how many of the countless of coaches that put on the hat, and didn't even make it to the finals. Oh, and I forgot about Doug Collins:devil2: Hell, look at all the talent Billy Cunningham had in Philly, and couldn't win more than 1.

NICE

I will have to defend Billy Cunningham. He had to go through Milwaukee, Boston, and Los Angeles. Philly's problem was their owner.

Robber said:
You can't say a coach is not a great coach because he hasn't won a number of titles. If you take over a loser organization, you're gonna start off there a loser yourself. In time you can turn the situation around, but it's crazy to expect titles. Larry Brown is a great coach by fair and objective standards. He lacks loyalty.

I agree.

JR said:
Rudy T was an average coach in my opinion. He also doesn't have the number of wins that the rest of those coaches have on that list. Heck Del Harris has more wins than Rudy I believe. That inside/out strategy was something a teenager could draw up. LOL. But you are slightly right. It aint haterade. It is the fact that he was very overated. The Dream is the reason they won titles. Along with Big Shot Bob, Cassell, Kenny Smith and Clyde for the second one. I blame Pat Riley for the first Rocket title. I blame Nick the brick Anderson was the second Rocket title. LOL.

I stopped at 23. We'll put Rudy at 24 or 25. How about that.

Don't do me any favors.....call it the way you feel. But, unlike alot of coaches on your list, Rudy T built his team prior to becoming head coach. He knew about Robert,Sam, Kenny talents because he was the Rockets top scout.

You cannot blame Pat Riley or Nick Anderson for the Rockets title. They played thier hearts out during those championships runs. Hell the second title run almost didnt happen if the Rockets didnt pull together after the Maxwell incident.

Back