JSU terminations, lawsuits raise questions

You can survive for so long before it catches up. If Mason had more support from the staff, he might have survived that rough patch.

Mason resigned for a higher paying job. I know many didn't like him but he wasn't about to be fired.

Don't kill the messenger, but I have heard for several years that JSU enrollment growth has been from "alternative programs" that are letting students in for the numbers, but most of these students are ill . prepared for college..

Don't kill the messenger, but I have heard for several years that JSU enrollment growth has been from "alternative programs" that are letting students in for the numbers, but most of these students are ill . prepared for college..

Hmmm...I wonder why the avg ACT score of incoming freshmen hasn't suffered then?

Not true.

White folks and SEC PWI lovers have been saying that about every HBCU around. Yet these same folks never tell you about the unprepared white folks admitted by the high numbers at SEC schools.

How do you know "most" aren't prepared? Did you take a poll? JSU's graduation rate is one of the highest among HBCU's to begin with. And don't believe everything you "hear".

I disagree. There is Cleaning House but there is also "Managing By Confusion". Carolyn Meyers manages by confusion. You cannot do that and expect to see maximum results. Micromanagers are the worse. This isn't private sector we dealing with. Private Sector traits cannot work in the Public Sector.

But when you have an Arrogant ass Micromanager, things deteriorate quickly. That's why managers like Meyers don't last long in the Federal Government especially in DC. One here at my Agency had so many complaints filed against her because of underhanded tactics and choosing to enforce certain rules only in certain situations where it's to her benefit. That woman had a GS-15 Position and resigned after only 2 years on the job.

And Black Women Leaders hate with a passion Black Men who can stand up to them.

Look at the results since she's been at JSU? Academically, JSU's stable. Financially, JSU's stable. JSU's graduation rate is one of the highest among HBCU's. The university's enrollment continues to grow at a pace higher than most institutions in the state.
Anybody can make accusations, but what does the bottom line show? It shows that the article's only focusing on one thing, but said not one thing about the bottomline, which is academically, JSU's a stable, growing institution and has high expectations for it's staff.

Last edited:
Dr. Dolores Spikes was a great President at Southern University. IMO, Dr. Meyers has gotten egg on her face a few times, such as her grand proposal for a domed stadium and the dormitory debacle. Although it is not her job to individually house each student, she should have been asking her people what impacts should they expect due to a larger enrollment, such as classroom size, STUDENT HOUSING, etc. She's the President of JSU and it is one of her primary duties to envision ALL future aspects for the university.
Seems like this is an article intentionally contrived to counter a Clarion Ledger article posted a few days ago that actually praised Meyers and the improvements the university has made since her arrival.
The real question is, what are the overall results SINCE she's been at JSU versus other HBCU's and in-state schools?
If one's going to tell the story, tell all of it. When one is on the road of improvement, of course there's going to be some unfortunate casualties along the way. That's just the way it is.

You keep harping on housing when that situation's been handled. Do you hear anything else about students not having housing at the school?
Those students who had housing problems are where? They're still at JSU.
More housing is on the way as well.

Meyers has been at JSU for six years and the graduation rate is more stable at JSU than most HBCU's. Student growth is at an all-time high and as said earlier, the university is stable financially in regards to operational deficits.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this offends any Black Women on the Board but....

Black Women in Leadership positions have a certain "arrogance" about them that is sickening. And they do business in a very messy environment oftentimes with no stability. It's like they get Drunk With Power.
That's not true guy. Come on now !!!

That's a lie because I remember in 2012-2013 over 80 percent of incoming freshmen were eligible for JSU honor college. That says a lot. If anything classes before Myers were more incompetent for college. Let's not forget I'm before Myers and I'll tell you the different in brand of students has truly improved. I see way more successful bound students on campus now versus when I came in. When I came in 2009 as a boomer, the school had typical JSU students but now there's a sense of lameness on campus which is great when it's referring to less party and more books! J/s!! So JSU quality of students has truly improved. I remember in 09 and 10 the absent rate was high as hell, now some of your thuggish individuals might miss only one day and hell you might have to cheat off there paper lol.

Some people just aren't fit to lead other people. Since this is a results-driven society, poor leadership often gets overshadowed by results. But those same results (if not better) could still get accomplished with better leadership capabilities.

Alternative programs? smh

You are probably talking about the program that is at ALL 8 of Mississippi's Public Universities..... smh If you don't originally qualify, you can go to EITHER school and take summer program. If you pass, you can be admitted. So it has nothing to do with JSU and i don't think our graduation rate has suffered.

Dr. Dolores Spikes was a great President at Southern University. IMO, Dr. Meyers has gotten egg on her face a few times, such as her grand proposal for a domed stadium and the dormitory debacle. Although it is not her job to individually house each student, she should have been asking her people what impacts should they expect due to a larger enrollment, such as classroom size, STUDENT HOUSING, etc. She's the President of JSU and it is one of her primary duties to envision ALL future aspects for the university.

Carolyn Meyers would be the FIRST person to agree with you. She knows that was bad and I can guarantee you, it won't happen again under her watch. Dr. Meyers is about results and if you mess up, you are out. She does seem to take things too far at times but in the end, she is a leader who knows that no matter who is responsible that SHE is responsible. Even the dome idea was something that she trusted someone with. That same person also did some other unspeakable things at JSU and he is now gone. Sometimes, those around you can let you down. She is not perfect but when she sees a problem, it gets fixed. Now, as JSU prepares for another year of growth, be prepared for housing issues to persist. But also , be prepared for us to handle it.

You can only find 2-3 things Meyers did that were negative... but she has a list of the good she has done. And if she messed something up, she fixed it.

Last edited:

Mason resigned for a higher paying job. I know many didn't like him but he wasn't about to be fired.

We don't know if he was or not and we will never know BUT we do know that he knew he had to get the hell out of Jackson. His tenure in Jackson was about to be tough had he stayed and Im sure the IHL was not upset at all when he left. ON top of that, the timing was perfect because he had just got this 10 years.

Thomas still has a side (consulting) contract with the university....He is going to speak positive.....

...or maybe he is going to speak the truth. You have about 1% of those invested in JSU who are complaining... the rest are just wondering why the big fuss. The school has looked bad 2-3 times but truthfully, the MAIN problems people are upset with are things that have happened in athletics. Fuller was a bad hire from the start and MOST of the complaints have been about her and her actions.

...or maybe he is going to speak the truth. You have about 1% of those invested in JSU who are complaining... the rest are just wondering why the big fuss. The school has looked bad 2-3 times but truthfully, the MAIN problems people are upset with are things that have happened in athletics. Fuller was a bad hire from the start and MOST of the complaints have been about her and her actions.

Well Why is SHE still there? Because that's who is bringing a lot of the bad press.

Well Why is SHE still there? Because that's who is bringing a lot of the bad press.

Because Meyers likes her ability to get work done... She seems very competent as an administrator in all aspects outside of interpersonal relationships. Meyers can call on her to do a job when someone else drops the ball and guess what? she comes thru for the QUEEN every time. We don't like her but the QUEEN depends on her.. unfortunately.

I'm guessing it has to do with lawsuits that are either pending or haven't yet been settled. So right now we are responsible for her attorney fees in all of these cases if I'm not mistaken.

I'm guessing it has to do with lawsuits that are either pending or haven't yet been settled. So right now we are responsible for her attorney fees in all of these cases if I'm not mistaken.

Not 100% sure, but I don't think there are any more cases.. she won them all or they got thrown out.

LoL somebody must've killed the messenger because you sure haven't stepped back in this thread to defend that lie you posted.

RIP to @xxx01 :(

I wasn't going to say anything but I had to. Man we have way to many hbcu's on verge of closure with debt out this world and a decline in enrollment. But you have Jackson state who is thriving like hell and the only negative issues coming from that way is more so personnel issues. That shit is petty! To be this far away from closure under Myers tenure is a plus. This itself out ways all the petty shit !! I rather see JSU another 75 years versus another 10-15 and then here come this merger shit!! So learn how to recognize a blessing when it's right in front of your eyes !!!!

Back