JSU terminations, lawsuits raise questions

Tiger G

JSU terminations, lawsuits raise questions
Mollie Bryant, The Clarion-Ledger 7:02 p.m. CST December 26, 2015

"Let us be done with fault finding and leave off self-seeking. May we put away all pretense and meet each other face to face, without self-pity and without prejudice. May we never be hasty in judgment and always generous."

Led by Jackson State University President Carolyn Meyers, employees recited The Collect in unison at the 2013 fall seminar for faculty and staff. The Collect followed an address in which Meyers boasted JSU’s record-breaking enrollment, new Madison campus and plans for its downtown branch.

That year, 82 of JSU’s permanent faculty and staff were terminated — more than any other public university in Mississippi with available data.

In a three-month investigation, The Clarion-Ledger spoke with 25 current and former JSU employees, the majority of whom said they worked in a hostile work environment, where faculty and staff worry the wrong move could lead to retaliation, being “iced out” or worse — a pink slip. Many said they had experienced stress so severe they became physically ill, causing them to go on medical leave. On top of that, they described a campuswide fear to voice concerns or publicly identify problems with the university.

Since 2011, 351 permanent JSU employees have been terminated, and an additional 53 positions were outsourced, according to data provided by the university via a public records request. Similar public records requests at other Mississippi universities revealed JSU’s termination rate to be excessive by comparison. During the same time period, Mississippi State University, with a staff four times larger than JSU's, terminated 78 permanent employees. Only the University of Southern Mississippi came close to the number of terminations at JSU, with 369 reported over the last five years. However, USM employs more than twice the number of faculty and staff as JSU. (The University of Mississippi is the lone public university not to provide data. University officials said no document containing the information existed, and the school would not provide data on its terminations).

For several years, Jackson State has received attention for resignations and terminations in its administration. Eleven employees at the assistant vice president level or higher have resigned or been terminated in the last five years. This year, Provost James Renick and Vice President of Finance and Business Michael Thomas resigned, and JSU records show Vice President for Institutional Advancement David Hoard received an involuntary separation.

JSU’s athletic department has had its share of high-profile firings, including former head football coach Rick Comegy, who had an 8-1 record in the Southwestern Athletic Conference when he was fired in 2013. That year, records show Kathryn Worthy, who coordinated the J-Settes Dance Team, received an involuntary separation from JSU, and Meyers received a death threat that referenced Worthy’s firing. This year, Harold Jackson was fired as head football coach five games into the season with a season record of one win, four losses.

Meyers would not comment for this story, and a university spokeswoman said the president would be unavailable until for an interview until Jan. 12. Meyers later offered by email to move the meeting to Jan. 5. In that email to The Clarion-Ledger, Meyers said she wasn’t aware of any employee complaints related to herself or any other JSU faculty or staff, although she was cited in two lawsuits and initially named in others before she was dropped as a defendant.

“Complaints have not surfaced to me,” she wrote. “For the record, one cannot respond or address complaints unknown or uncommunicated.”

Glenn Boyce, Mississippi's higher education commissioner, said turnover at universities doesn’t fall under the purview of the state College Board, officially known as the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning, and that the agency hasn’t received evidence establishing that Jackson State has a hostile work environment.

“Our role here at IHL is certainly not to micromanage personnel decisions at institutions,” he said. “We leave it up to presidents to ensure they have high-performing individuals in positions all through their campuses. Sometimes, certainly, employee turnover is costly to an organization. There’s no question about that in terms of efficiency and effectiveness, … but I would say also sometimes turnover can be beneficial.”

Hank Bounds, who was the state's higher education commissioner when Meyers' contract was extended this year, did not return repeated requests for comment. Boyce would not comment on Meyers' performance, saying it was a personnel matter.

During interviews with JSU employees, some said their experiences at JSU were positive and productive.

“I think the work environment is a great one,” said Robin Pack, executive director of human resources. “We haven’t had any issues, and I haven’t been informed of anything that would be a hostile or difficult work environment.”

Pack said she has received only a few complaints; however, current and former JSU employees have filed approximately 20 lawsuits against JSU in federal court since 2011. To compare, the University of Mississippi had five cases and Mississippi State University had no lawsuits in federal court during the last five years.

Several current and former employees leveled complaints that the College Board hasn’t provided a level of oversight to JSU equal to that of other public Mississippi universities.

“I unequivocally disagree with that,” Boyce said. “IHL pays attention equally to all eight universities.”

JSU under Meyers' leadership

Many of the employees interviewed said the work environment shifted when Meyers began her presidency in 2011, particularly with the hiring of Renick and Hoard, both of whom were Meyers’ former colleagues at North Carolina A&T State University, where she served as provost. Since Meyers’ arrival, at least 10 former North Carolina A&T employees have come to work at JSU, and most have filled administrative positions.

Renick was chancellor of North Carolina A&T, where he was accused of misusing funds from a vending contract until investigators said in 2009 that he hadn’t known the funds were restricted.

Meyers created Hoard’s position during her first year at JSU. He had worked as vice chancellor of development and in university relations at North Carolina A&T.

In an email to JSU staff announcing Renick’s “unsolicited” resignation in October, Meyers wrote: “There’s the old saying to the effect that one cannot go to new places on the same road with the same driver. And remember, anyone who voluntarily resigns is obviously unhappy and possibly unable to fully commit to the university for various reasons, reasons which I do not question or explore.”

Quinton Williams, who resigned from JSU to chair Howard University’s physics department, reported to Meyers when he served as interim provost in 2011. He said she raised the expectations for JSU staff, which changed the work environment.

“She definitely has a different leadership style than I was kind of used to,” he said. “I’d say she’s one who likes to see things happen on a quick pace, and if they don’t happen quickly enough to her satisfaction, I think she’s ready to make changes.

Entire Article

I'm sorry if this offends any Black Women on the Board but....

Black Women in Leadership positions have a certain "arrogance" about them that is sickening. And they do business in a very messy environment oftentimes with no stability. It's like they get Drunk With Power.

I don't think you can link gender to arrogance.

It looks like the Queen has a PR problem with the C-L. I would think that she would be savvy enough to realize that these folks who were terminated would talk to the media...and that Jackson is the media center of the state.

Interesting article. Is she cleaning house?

It would be good to hear form JSU alumni. Some times you need to clear out some of the old guard.

actually what she did is quite commonplace when taking over----you clean ranks of the dissenters and put in your own folks you feel you can trust. I learned this lesson first hand when taking over a practice in VA Beach. I tried to keep the staff and work with them, but there was deceit, allowing previous owners entry to remove stuff, unauthorized entries on the weekend and a doctor that left in the middle of a reception area full of clients...I nicely told those who were still there, they would have to reapply for their jobs--they decided to leave, so I pulled folks from the other clinic to keep it going and hired new people. I also was able to defend against any unemployment claims because I proved they were not fired but asked to reapply since I was the new owner and they did not prior to their jobs being filled....old employees can be loyal to the old regime BUT when you take over, you need to put in YOUR manner of doing business and one in which you will excel. As far as her Clarion Ledger PR problems, she can overcome those. She should direct JSUs PR staff to send out positive promotions daily to counteract. It minimizes the negatives when the evidence is overwhelmingly positive. In other words, toot your own horn LOUDLY and CONSTANTLY...

actually what she did is quite commonplace when taking over----you clean ranks of the dissenters and put in your own folks you feel you can trust. I learned this lesson first hand when taking over a practice in VA Beach. I tried to keep the staff and work with them, but there was deceit, allowing previous owners entry to remove stuff, unauthorized entries on the weekend and a doctor that left in the middle of a reception area full of clients...I nicely told those who were still there, they would have to reapply for their jobs--they decided to leave, so I pulled folks from the other clinic to keep it going and hired new people. I also was able to defend against any unemployment claims because I proved they were not fired but asked to reapply since I was the new owner and they did not prior to their jobs being filled....old employees can be loyal to the old regime BUT when you take over, you need to put in YOUR manner of doing business and one in which you will excel. As far as her Clarion Ledger PR problems, she can overcome those. She should direct JSUs PR staff to send out positive promotions daily to counteract. It minimizes the negatives when the evidence is overwhelmingly positive. In other words, toot your own horn LOUDLY and CONSTANTLY...

I disagree. There is Cleaning House but there is also "Managing By Confusion". Carolyn Meyers manages by confusion. You cannot do that and expect to see maximum results. Micromanagers are the worse. This isn't private sector we dealing with. Private Sector traits cannot work in the Public Sector.

But when you have an Arrogant ass Micromanager, things deteriorate quickly. That's why managers like Meyers don't last long in the Federal Government especially in DC. One here at my Agency had so many complaints filed against her because of underhanded tactics and choosing to enforce certain rules only in certain situations where it's to her benefit. That woman had a GS-15 Position and resigned after only 2 years on the job.

And Black Women Leaders hate with a passion Black Men who can stand up to them.

One thing I've learned in my years of working with HBCUs...they don't like change. they'll call it anything and everything, scream it to the mountains, except what it is...a needed incident. Business as usual and the JSU/ASU/SU/GSU etc, ways are commonplace accepted and hard to get folks to wrap their minds around changing...because they've already done it this way for decades, they have it down pat and they really don't want to learn another system so they half-ass any new systems and get gleeful to say, see, I told you it wouldn't work. Well, HBCUs better wake up and smell the change that is needed and should be implemented or be prepared to become Morris Brown and others. We are behind the 8 ball and business as usual ain't gonna cut it. The same folks can't do the jobs with new expectations. So, if you work for one, figure out how you can "add to" or be prepared to go to the house or having your career reputation ruined by being obstinate. I haven't worked for Dr. Meyers BUT I can see how JSU has grown in many areas. Assholes with arrogance come in both sexes. You have a SOLID 50/50 chance of getting either one each time you get a new employer. And many black men who dislike having black women in leadership positions oftentimes come in with that chip on their shoulders that manifests as poor attitude, snide comments and general displeasure...which over time = HR write ups and continued discord. My suggestion: Go sex blind and color blind and KNOW the black ink well...

I disagree. There is Cleaning House but there is also "Managing By Confusion". Carolyn Meyers manages by confusion. You cannot do that and expect to see maximum results. Micromanagers are the worse. This isn't private sector we dealing with. Private Sector traits cannot work in the Public Sector.

But when you have an Arrogant ass Micromanager, things deteriorate quickly. That's why managers like Meyers don't last long in the Federal Government especially in DC. One here at my Agency had so many complaints filed against her because of underhanded tactics and choosing to enforce certain rules only in certain situations where it's to her benefit. That woman had a GS-15 Position and resigned after only 2 years on the job.

Nawl, it's men like you who already go into these situations believing that women are inferior and incapable to be in leadership positions to begin with simply because they're not white men which often are at the root of conflicts.

Black women, especially, are in no-win positions. They can't go into many leadership positions trying to conform and placate to others or they're gonna be perceived as weak. If they try to assert themselves, they're going to perceived as bossy, arrogant or worse.

So what kind of person replaced the sister?

Nawl, it's men like you who already go into these situations believing that women are inferior and incapable to be in leadership positions to begin with simply because they're not white men which often are at the root of conflicts.

Black women, especially, are in no-win positions. They can't go into many leadership positions trying to conform and placate to others or they're gonna be perceived as weak. If they try to assert themselves, they're going to perceived as bossy, arrogant or worse.

Nope. Time always reveals True Leaders. I just let their actions speak for them. If there is constant bad decision making but you are too arrogant to realize and admit you're wrong, well I'm going to let you continue to trip over yourself.

The Feminist is a real thing man, especially in DC. And those LBGT Women, don't even get me started on them.

So what kind of person replaced the sister?

Another Black Woman who actually had experience doing the job and was not a Micromanager.

The Gs-15 thought her "Caucasian" Friend would help her with her problems. Take a wild guess what the supposed "Caucasian Friend" did.....dropped her like a hot cake.

Dr. Dolores Spikes was a great President at Southern University. IMO, Dr. Meyers has gotten egg on her face a few times, such as her grand proposal for a domed stadium and the dormitory debacle. Although it is not her job to individually house each student, she should have been asking her people what impacts should they expect due to a larger enrollment, such as classroom size, STUDENT HOUSING, etc. She's the President of JSU and it is one of her primary duties to envision ALL future aspects for the university.

I don't care what you folks say. Women are the worst people to work for in corporate America. Not all, but most are power hungry. There has been topics on this board over the years where most of the women even agreed they didn't wanna or like working for women. BH123 says some crazy shyt, but this isn't one of them. I can only speak from ym experiences so therefore others opinions are mute to me.

One thing I've learned in my years of working with HBCUs...they don't like change. they'll call it anything and everything, scream it to the mountains, except what it is...a needed incident. Business as usual and the JSU/ASU/SU/GSU etc, ways are commonplace accepted and hard to get folks to wrap their minds around changing...because they've already done it this way for decades, they have it down pat and they really don't want to learn another system so they half-ass any new systems and get gleeful to say, see, I told you it wouldn't work. Well, HBCUs better wake up and smell the change that is needed and should be implemented or be prepared to become Morris Brown and others. We are behind the 8 ball and business as usual ain't gonna cut it. The same folks can't do the jobs with new expectations. So, if you work for one, figure out how you can "add to" or be prepared to go to the house or having your career reputation ruined by being obstinate. I haven't worked for Dr. Meyers BUT I can see how JSU has grown in many areas. Assholes with arrogance come in both sexes. You have a SOLID 50/50 chance of getting either one each time you get a new employer. And many black men who dislike having black women in leadership positions oftentimes come in with that chip on their shoulders that manifests as poor attitude, snide comments and general displeasure...which over time = HR write ups and continued discord. My suggestion: Go sex blind and color blind and KNOW the black ink well...

Much of GSU's problem was Piyush Jindal. People wonder how one man can destroy a school. Well, his appointments and totally destruction of Louisiana's Higher Educational System did it. Our continues turnover of leadership has greatly affected GSU as well.

Meyers only has to satisfy the IHL, not matter how many alumni or others aren't happy with her; otherwise Peoples would still be President.
You can survive for so long before it catches up. If Mason had more support from the staff, he might have survived that rough patch.

Back