Jackson State's head coach Tomekia Reed interview with the Basketball podcast

Kara Lawson has a name that people in women’s basketball know and respect… it aint about the X’s and O’s It’s about the Jimmy and Joes.
That's the issue - reed has to start somewhere and has had success but gotta fight to get sun belt jobs and such

I doubt that Reed will get the UT job but it's a big deal to have your coach on this list...

Our first hot board included 11 names: Notre Dame coach Niele Ivey, USC coach Lindsay Gottlieb, Louisville coach Jeff Walz, Oregon State coach Scott Rueck, UCLA coach Cori Close, Colorado coach JR Payne, Ole Miss coach Yolett McPhee-McCuin, Duke coach Kara Lawson, Jackson State coach Tomekia Reed, Oklahoma coach Jennie Baranczyk and Vanderbilt coach Shea Ralph.

That's the issue - reed has to start somewhere and has had success but gotta fight to get sun belt jobs and such

I dont think she would have to fight to get a SunBelt Job. Tulane is in the Big East and that's a historic basketball conference. HOWEVER, aside from salary, Tulane is a lateral move, maybe even a step down, from JSU when it comes to women's basketball. Argue with somebody else if you dont agree. Also, the team that won their conference got a 14 seed just like JSU. Granted had their regular season champ won the tourney, they would have had a higher seed but Tulane still aint the flex people making out to be. Coach Reed would have been an upgrade for that program and a better choice than the pick they made. The good thing about Coach Reed, hopefully, staying at JSU is that the rest of the conference will have to step their game up to compete and that is a great thing.

I dont think she would have to fight to get a SunBelt Job. Tulane is in the Big East and that's a historic basketball conference. HOWEVER, aside from salary, Tulane is a lateral move, maybe even a step down, from JSU when it comes to women's basketball. Argue with somebody else if you dont agree. Also, the team that won their conference got a 14 seed just like JSU. Granted had their regular season champ won the tourney, they would have had a higher seed but Tulane still aint the flex people making out to be. Coach Reed would have been an upgrade for that program and a better choice than the pick they made. The good thing about Coach Reed, hopefully, staying at JSU is that the rest of the conference will have to step their game up to compete and that is a great thing.
Tulane University's recent transformation has been remarkable, as many observers tend to agree. The change is especially evident in their football program, which has seen significant investment and, more importantly, positive results. Tulane recent 25 million dollar gift exclusively for sports shows they are serious. In less than four years, the university raised almost 1 billion dollars Furthermore, Tulane's endowment currently stands at about 3.7 billion and continues to expand. I am pretty sure if Coach Reed goes in asking for things to be successful, they will probably give it to her.

Tulane University's recent transformation has been remarkable, as many observers tend to agree. The change is especially evident in their football program, which has seen significant investment and, more importantly, positive results. Tulane recent 25 million dollar gift exclusively for sports shows they are serious. In less than four years, the university raised almost 1 billion dollars Furthermore, Tulane's endowment currently stands at about 3.7 billion and continues to expand. I am pretty sure if Coach Reed goes in asking for things to be successful, they will probably give it to her.

All that is great! BUT they still won't get 500 people at a women's basketball game. I already said, aside from salary. Im sure they will look out for the players and assistants too but it stops there.

On Tuesday, sources familiar with the details of the situation told the Clarion Ledger the school was preparing Reed a contract offer that would pay her $1 million over four seasons. The source requested anonymity because details haven’t been made public.

If Reed signs the contract, her annual salary of $250,000 would match that of Tigers football coach T.C. Taylor, currently the school's highest-paid coach. Taylor’s salary was obtained by the Clarion Ledger through a public records request.

Jackson State basketball awaits Tomekia Reed's $1 million decision

On Tuesday, sources familiar with the details of the situation told the Clarion Ledger the school was preparing Reed a contract offer that would pay her $1 million over four seasons. The source requested anonymity because details haven’t been made public.

If Reed signs the contract, her annual salary of $250,000 would match that of Tigers football coach T.C. Taylor, currently the school's highest-paid coach. Taylor’s salary was obtained by the Clarion Ledger through a public records request.

Is she selling that many tickets? lol

Is she selling that many tickets? lol
She is worth the money…my only thing is I dont see the return on investment. I could understand if she was putting a lot of fans in the arena… The JSU faithful should show up in numbers to support Coach Reed and give them a good reason to offer this contract.

She is worth the money…my only thing is I dont see the return on investment. I could understand if she was putting a lot of fans in the arena… The JSU faithful should show up in numbers to support Coach Reed and give them a good reason to offer this contract.
This is where i was going with my comment but yes you are right! This type of contract should show because of seats in the arena too. Hopefully the JSU faithful support her like they did Deion when he was winning!

I sincerely hope the JSU sports' admins don't price the fans and supporters of JSU bball out of their arena like this one SWAC school did. 👀

I sincerely hope the JSU sports' admins don't price the fans and supporters of JSU bball out of their arena like this one SWAC school did. 👀
Doubtful.. we already subpar in bball attendance.. like 4th in the Swac or something like that

I think JSU is attempting to keep Coach Reed for the good reason of putting out a winning team even if it does not translate to more fan support. As someone mention they can make the money back through out of conference games, sponsorships, and the allocation of money for making the NCAA tournament and possibly winning games in the tournament. Don't forget that even if former JSU players don't make it to the WNBA, they have opportunities of playing overseas and that might allow them donated back to the program. End the end this is good faith effort by JSU to let Coach Reed know that they value her.

she's one step from Power 5 - 1 or 2 winning seasons she's gone with no questions nor background checks

Only one who pulled that off was Cynthia Cooper who went from SWAC to PAC-12 but that's the exception

Reed dominated the SWAC and gets C-USA - unfortunately they don't think we can make big jumps

Prairie View Produces Productive People!

she's one step from Power 5 - 1 or 2 winning seasons she's gone with no questions nor background checks

Only one who pulled that off was Cynthia Cooper who went from SWAC to PAC-12 but that's the exception

Reed dominated the SWAC and gets C-USA - unfortunately they don't think we can make big jumps
Cynthia played for USC....that was the difference for her.

Back