Jackson State's head coach Tomekia Reed interview with the Basketball podcast

I think that’s a legitimate point with every transfer. Some get pushed out, some leave for greener pastures, which right now, who wouldn’t want to play for JSU women’s basketball after two terrible seasons at their previous school. Y’all are the class of the SWAC and HBCU basketball and no one can deny that.
I didn’t see any stats for homegirl that transferred from TSU. Is she redshirting this year or unable to crack that talented roster for playing time?

I know sometimes people may not want to hear this....but even an assistant at one of the elite women's program makes 2-3 times as much as HBCU head coaches. I don't look it as regressing as much as it is getting to the next level to further be in the conversations for a HC position at that level.
You currently may be a great Manager at Burger King...however, often times to be considered for a Manager position at one of the higher end dining establishments you will need to show you can assimilate to that environment before they trust you to run the show.
Right, Wrong or Indifferent....I see this scenario quite often...

I know sometimes people may not want to hear this....but even an assistant at one of the elite women's program makes 2-3 times as much as HBCU head coaches. I don't look it as regressing as much as it is getting to the next level to further be in the conversations for a HC position at that level.
You currently may be a great Manager at Burger King...however, often times to be considered for a Manager position at one of the higher end dining establishments you will need to show you can assimilate to that environment before they trust you to run the show.
Right, Wrong or Indifferent....I see this scenario quite often...
I understand the point, but I think too often we make the mistake of comparing our salaries to elite Power 5 programs when we need to make more comparison to mid-major programs. With the SWAC and MEAC being mid-major conferences, coaching salaries align with the national average. Should Reed sign this new deal with J-State, she will be amongst the higher paid coaches at the mid-major level.

Miami and Tenn still open. I don't want to lose Reed but she earned this payday

That vol situation would be something major for Ms Reed.

The Vols just fired their previous 2 coaches who had recent multiple Elite 8 & Sweet 16 appearances. They are looking for a splash to take on Dawn Staley right now & would view Reed as an "experiment". P5 programs like Miami or others with little success in women's bb I could see possibly hiring her , but not Tennessee. Becky Hammon, Kara Lawson, etc..., but not Reed.

Kara lawson barely coached but got Duke - the playing field isn't fair unfortunately
Kara Lawson has a name that people in women’s basketball know and respect… it aint about the X’s and O’s It’s about the Jimmy and Joes.

If I were a current SWAC women's basketball coach I would expect Reed to be the coach at JSU for the next 2-3 years...maybe 4!

Back