It appears SUBR's enrollment is definitely on rise again........

I think erollment will probably be around 10,500 - 11,000 this fall. Heard today 200 students without dorm room due to overcrowding even with jsu's two new additional resident halls. Go jsu
They have found rooms for another 100 as of 10pm. They have to fast track that new dorm. It is needed yesterday.

Good thing SU has finally updated its dorms. I can still remember the Blind School dorms having like 4 or 5 deep to one room. Now that SU is back on the rise, it should be easy for the school to accommodate 11,000 to 12,000 students. I do believe there are plans for more dorms on campus in the future, which is why I think they quickly cleared out the old dorms that made up the Magnolia Triangle. Also, I do believe Grambling has improved its dorms situation over the years.

Better get plans for more now. Thats our problem. When enrollment started to pick up, we can't build fast enough.

They expanded what was the HUD dorm by the aac to twice its size. One new dorm suite complex behind HUD had to be demolished after 3 years because it kept sinking. Built the complex by the cafeteria. Renovated Stewart, Alexander, North, and Dixon hall. Bought the palisades apt complex beside jsu on valley and got the tiger plaza at the fairgrounds.

Those things were filled before work was complete and we still short at least 500 beds this year. The new complex is supposed to have 800 beds, cafiteria, and a convention area.

Better get plans for more now. Thats our problem. When enrollment started to pick up, we can't build fast enough.

They expanded what was the HUD dorm by the aac to twice its size. One new dorm suite complex behind HUD had to be demolished after 3 years because it kept sinking. Built the complex by the cafeteria. Renovated Stewart, Alexander, North, and Dixon hall. Bought the palisades apt complex beside jsu on valley and got the tiger plaza at the fairgrounds.

Those things were filled before work was complete and we still short at least 500 beds this year. The new complex is supposed to have 800 beds, cafiteria, and a convention area.

I think SU would be find with an enrollment of 12,000 to 13,000 students. Although SU had some students staying off campus, we were once close to that number with less dorms back in the 80's. Beside the freshman complex (Jones and Boley Halls), every dorm in the back of the campus have been replaced with newer and updated dorms. And where the famous Magnolia Triangle once stood, there's room for more dorms. Also, every dorm in the front of SU's campus have gone through some type of complete renovations in the past 20 years. And there's a new apartment complex just off campus that rent to students first. I believe they work with SU's Housing Department to rent to students who want to stay off campus. IMO, The Villa which also just off of SU's campus needs to be razed and replaced with a newer & modernized apartment complex. That place has turned into somewhat an eyesore and one of the first buildings a person sees once they cross the bridge (Da Hump) onto SU's campus.

Last edited:
SU has been talking about buying that dorm just as you come on campus,, and that has been for a few years, but the owners wont sell it or put money.into remodeling it,, I think SU will bring them to.court, because SU is modernizing all housing on campus and have been in talks to remodel the freshman dorms and tear down the ones by the bookstore,, and to have that eyesore is something that the board have been talking about.

SU has been talking about buying that dorm just as you come on campus,, and that has been for a few years, but the owners wont sell it or put money.into remodeling it,, I think SU will bring them to.court, because SU is modernizing all housing on campus and have been in talks to remodel the freshman dorms and tear down the ones by the bookstore,, and to have that eyesore is something that the board have been talking about.
When was the last time you have been on campus. They completely renovated the Villa. I think it's going to be lower income housing for the elderly smh.

Last edited:
When was the last time you have been on clamps. They completely renovated the Villa. I think it's going to belower income housing for the elderly smh.

I'm not going to lie, I haven't been on campus in a while since I've been living in Virginia, but that place (the Villa) was a dump when I was school. If the owner(s) have completely renovated it for the elderly, I'm such they had to have help to do it. I don't think the Villa had elevators, which I think is a requirement for an elderly home.

Here's a Google Earth aerial file photo dated 3-17-2014 of the Villa. You can see the Villa was unused.
29m3jo5.jpg

Here's a Google Earth street view of the Villa. I'm not sure when this picture was taken but it shows the Villa in use.
9rhqpv.jpg

It would be nice if the Villa could be replaced with an apartment complex like the one below, which is also just off the campus:
71twsh.jpg

n2y14g.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not going to lie, I haven't been on campus in a while since I've been living in Virginia, but that place (the Villa) was a dump when I was school. If the owner(s) have completely renovated it for the elderly, I'm such they had to have help to do it. I don't think the Villa had elevators, which I think is a requirement for an elderly home.

Here's a Google Earth aerial file photo dated 3-17-2014 of the Villa. You can see the Villa was unused.
29m3jo5.jpg

Here's a Google Earth street view of the Villa. I'm not sure when this picture was taken but it shows the Villa in use.
9rhqpv.jpg

It would be nice if the Villa could be replaced with apartment like the ones below, which is also just off the campus:
71twsh.jpg

n2y14g.jpg
That pic is before renovation's. SU tried to purchase them multiple times, but the owner, SU Grad who lived In California, wanted a crazy amount of money for that dump. Then they tried to have them condemned lol, but somehow the owner keep them open.

That pic is before renovation's. SU tried to purchase them multiple times, but the owner, SU Grad who lived In California, wanted a crazy amount of money for that dump. Then they tried to have them condemned lol, but somehow the owner keep them open.

I figured that the owner was from California. Who builds a Spanish style stucco apartment complex in Louisiana? My great aunt who not long ago passed away and was a SU Grad and one of the four founding members of SU Los Angeles Alumni Chapter owned a lot of apartments in Los Angeles. She also controlled a huge plot of land that was family property in my hometown (Alexandria, LA) that a lot of folks are dying to get their hands on since it's in the middle of where Alexandria is growing near the Alexandria Airport off of Hwy 28W. I believe her son now holds the deed of that property, but I don't think he can sell it until he notifies all family members tied to the land. People who have moved to California and own land in Louisiana are someone clueless of the land they own in Louisiana. White families who have moved away and own large tracts of land in Louisiana are cutting deals with the local governments to finds ways to develop the land so that they and the government can make money off the land. The raised value of the property means more taxes for the local municipality.

Last edited:
5000 freshmen dude? Really?

Yeah it was like that when I was in school. Oh the good ole days. We had folks from all over the country at SU my 4 years there. I remember the school newspaper doing a break down on the out of state students. Michigan and Illinois had more kids there than the border states of Texas, Arkansas and MS. And those 3 states had their share. Florida and Cali was up there as well. Plus a nice contingent from DC/MD. In 1985 we cracked the 12K mark and passed Howard up that year for the number one spot. In 86 it got even crazier. We even took the band size up. We went from 128 in 84, to 160 in 85 to 192 for a moment in 86 until Doc thought that too many. LOL. On the field that is. We had way more each of those years counting the reserves that didn't make the field. The enrollment numbers really didn't drop until we started changing the admissions policy and that coupled with BRCC opening up. Out of state fees being higher etc. So it is good to see the numbers back on the rise these last couple of years.

They're wrong for that.

Back