HBCU Grads Outperform Black Grads from PWCs

That's by an large true, as one would expect. Where you go to school has far less impact on your future prospects than what you do when you get there. That still doesn't seem to stop people from bashing HBCUs at every turn though.

+1

I share this article with high school kids in my hometown every summer at this workshop a few of my homegirls and I do. I focus mainly on the last paragraph before I begin my presentation on finding the right college for you and making your degree work after graduation:

Either way, if you're thinking about college quality in terms of rankings or prestige, you're looking at it all wrong.

Certain programs or majors may offer fantastic experiences within different campuses--and you might be better off in a school whose curriculum that meets your needs than in a school with a big name. But what's most important in the quality of your college experience is your willingness to engage in your education, commit to learning and actively take part in classes that challenge you.

Simply put, where you go to school is not as important as what you bring to the school where you go.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/26/college-admission-officer-opinions-contributors-decision.html

Also, the IT schools in India will run circles around any American University.

That is obvious. LOL Have you seen the math and science scores/rankings of US students K-16? Working for the Department of Education, I know you have and to put it as nicely as possible - we have a lot of work to do!

Bruh, but people live and die by those US News rankings though. Some university Presidents have clauses in their contract that the schools can not fall below a certain rank. Those rankings amount to dollars. Schools game the system big time though.

One of the ranking factors, is the ACT score of your incoming Fall Freshmen class. University of Maryland will let students with good GPA's but below par ACT scores in but make them start in the spring so they don't count against their rankings.

Law schools will give nonprofits money to hire their new graduates for a few months so that their outcome measures appear better than they are when those graduates are surveyed during for law school rankings. Everyone is gaming the system.

However, some law firms will not hire you unless you went to a top ten law school and finished in the top 1/3rd of your class.

Oh I'm quite familiar with all of that. The US News rankings heavily favor standardized test scores. That's why equivalent schools like Duke and Cal-Berkeley are ranked 20 spots apart. But yes, everybody games the system because those are the rankings most people are familiar with. They look good to the uninitiated, like wealthy donors and state legislatures that control funding, but most people in academic circles realize they're largely bunk.

That is obvious. LOL Have you seen the math and science scores/rankings of US students K-16? Working for the Department of Education, I know you have and to put it as nicely as possible - we have a lot of work to do!

To be fair, those numbers aren't entirely true either when you account for the fact that they do not require all of their kids to take those standardized tests. Many countries determine early on that certain kids are not cut out for rigorous academics, so they takew them out of traditional schools and move them to trades.

I put more value in what U.S.-educated people are contributing to the world, especially technologically. There is a reason the Chinese spend so much time trying to hack into the information systems of U.S. companies, and why they copy so many of our technological advances.

Also, the IT schools in India will run circles around any American University.

That's probably an over-generalization. Much like schools in America, schools in India (and their students) run the gamut from elite to why are they even open. The best and the brightest end up over here, but they are the exceptions, not the rule.

That's probably an over-generalization. Much like schools in America, schools in India (and their students) run the gamut from elite to why are they even open. The best and the brightest end up over here, but they are the exceptions, not the rule.

Working or for school? If you are talking school, I would argue that more and more of their brightest are staying home. Working, yes but how much longer though?

Working or for school? If you are talking school, I would argue that more and more of their brightest are staying home. Working, yes but how much longer though?

I work with a number of great engineers from India, Pakistan, and the Middle East (and the U.S.).

To be fair, those numbers aren't entirely true either when you account for the fact that they do not require all of their kids to take those standardized tests. Many countries determine early on that certain kids are not cut out for rigorous academics, so they takew them out of traditional schools and move them to trades.
I put more value in what U.S.-educated people are contributing to the world, especially technologically. There is a reason the Chinese spend so much time trying to hack into the information systems of U.S. companies, and why they copy so many of our technological advances.

That is true. I forgot to consider this. Great point. However, I wish more US kids were introduced to trade options as early as the 8th grade. Higher education is not for everyyone, but a learned skill or trade is definitely within reach and should be pursued. There should be a trade track within every public high school in America. It would allow those kids that choose not to attend college and/or who just are not college material to become aware of their options and be more employable. I know this country was built on freedom, but sometimes you just have to be real about how our education resources are being spent. I know a lot of people won't agree with that, but I have always felt college is not for everyone. You may return as an adult if you wish, but at least at 18 and fresh out of high school you could be a productive citzen with the certificate for the trade you learned in highschool. Dang JSUPops you made us get off topic of the thread as usual LOL

The same reason Black PWI grads are amazed we carry on about our schools after graduation is one of the reasons they can propel us further. We are connected to our schools in much the same way white people are connected to theirs. They are laboratories in leadership for us. Blacks at PWIs tend to be less engaged and "just going for school". Also, how many times have I seen Black kids at PWIs totally screwed over by their career center. When I was over the student NABA chapter here, I had kids paying $30,000 a year to be at Washington University complaining about not having internships and would have not gotten one without NABA. One from Orlando tried to talk down FAMU one time and I kindly explained to her that when FAMU and A&T showed up at the NABA student conference, we were there to network and kick it because we already had offers and those same companies had been on our campus and we got interviews. Why are you paying that kind of money but expect more from NABA and your $20 dues. She shut her ass up.

And after graduation - I have had folks call me up and say such and such is coming to STL and I have picked folks up from the airport, taken them to dinner, ballgames and barely knew them. I really feel our networks are stronger coming from and HBCU.

Most go to school there, but that's logical. Going to school is expensive, far more so when you're talking about going to school in a different country, especially in a country where poverty is the norm. But I think many times we overstate the quality of education in other countries based on the ones that work over here. If we sent our top 0.1% of students to work in other countries, people in those countries would think America had this great educational system too.

Most go to school there, but that's logical. Going to school is expensive, far more so when you're talking about going to school in a different country, especially in a country where poverty is the norm. But I think many times we overstate the quality of education in other countries based on the ones that work over here. If we sent our top 0.1% of students to work in other countries, people in those countries would think America had this great educational system too.

Oh, overall, I think American Universities are the standard. However, I think the Indian IT schools overall top our top IT schools. Just my personal opinion. I think the London School of Economics would give any of our business schools a run for their money too.

Back