HBCU Grads Outperform Black Grads from PWCs

Nonchalant

Hail, Hail To Thee...
http://hbcubuzz.com/hbcu-grads-outperform-black-graduates-of-predominately-white-institutions-pwi/

HBCU Grads Outperform Black Graduates of Predominately White Institutions (PWI)

black-college-graduates.jpg

There’s great news for students who opt for HBCUs over traditional white-majority institutions.

African-Americans who graduate from a historically Black college or university do better financially than Blacks who graduate from traditionally white colleges and universities, according to a new study by economists at Morehouse College and Howard University.

“Our results suggest that as HBCUs afford graduates relatively superior long-run returns, they continue to have a compelling educational justification as the labor market outcomes of their graduates are superior to what they would have been had they graduated from a non-HBCU,â€￾ wrote the researchers.

As the debate about the relevance of HBCUs continues, this survey shows that these schools continue to serve a purpose for students.

The study was published last month in the Review of Black Political Economy, and was written by Gregory N. Price of Morehouse College and William Spriggs and Omari H. Swinton of Howard University.

To piggyback on Cee's point. What years are we looking at? Will these numbers still hold up as the baby boomers retire and the pool of college educated black workers changes?

I see a hell of a lot of HBCU educated workers doing their thing here in DC.

I can tell you now, Pops ain't sending his kids to a HBCU.

I won't be sending my kids anywhere. They can choose as they may. They will visit JSU more than the others though. It will ultimately depend on their major though. Business, Computer Science, Meteorology, Biology and Engineering, they can go to JSU. Anything Liberal Arts related, definitely not pushing them towards Jackson State.

If I have a daughter, Spelman and Hampton will be on top of my places to visit. I will say this, I will not send my child to a school with a 6 year graduation rate less than 40%.

Graduation rates are subjective. I know plenty of folks who it took them 6 to 8 years because they worked to support themselves and went to school taking the minimum hours like 12-14 a semester. Some like me also graduated debt free with no student loans or bills because they worked in places who helped them pay for school.

I won't be sending my kids anywhere. They can choose as they may. They will visit JSU more than the others though. It will ultimately depend on their major though. Business, Computer Science, Meteorology, Biology and Engineering, they can go to JSU. Anything Liberal Arts related, definitely not pushing them towards Jackson State.

If I have a daughter, Spelman and Hampton will be on top of my places to visit. I will say this, I will not send my child to a school with a 6 year graduation rate less than 40%.

My kids will also see a lot of HBCU ball. I wrote a recommendation letter for a kid to go to Alcorn a few months back. He wanted to do something Ag related.

LOL.....did anyone actually read the parameters of what they used to come to this "conclusion"? Not to mention it was written by a Morehouse and a Howard grad. Basically it's BS lol, students don't do better either way but if you want to be realistic, take a gander at all of the black CEO's and execs and see where they graduate from. Not to mention the income from HBCU grads is actually lower overall than that of the top 500 PWC's. Now if you want to count community colleges sure, but the thing about it is you can basically make this data look any way you want it to just to try to prove your point no matter which side you're on.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL.....did anyone actually read the parameters of what they used to come to this "conclusion"? Not to mention it was written by a Morehouse and a Howard grad. Basically it's BS lol, students don't do better either way but if you want to be realistic, take a gander at all of the black CEO's and execs and see where they graduate from. Not to mention the income from HBCU grads is actually lower overall than that of the top 500 PWC's. Now if you want to count community colleges sure, but the thing about it is you can basically make this data look any way you want it to just to try to prove your point no matter which side you're on.

All of them?

They all work like that...:lol: Narrow the parameters, remove some variables cause it didnt' fit like you were esp paid to make it fit aka funding.. and wow, you've got this conclusion...pink toes been doing this for a minute...thus the media stereotypes perpetuated and amazingly finding itself in the tone of the responses in threads like this....

They all work like that...:lol: Narrow the parameters, remove some variables cause it didnt' fit like you were esp paid to make it fit aka funding.. and wow, you've got this conclusion...pink toes been doing this for a minute...thus the media stereotypes perpetuated and amazingly finding itself in the tone of the responses in threads like this....

EXACTLY! :tup:

I guess when it is done by grads of a PWC that makes it correct, but when done by grads of HBCU's the data is screwed. :lol:

So, is it just based on incomes? 4 year vs 4 year. Price vs earnings. I know I am being lazy. :lol:... I agree with CT though. Most college outcome studies are utter bullshat.

Those US News rankings are bull too.

Just like those Ivy league myths are bull shyt.
So, is it just based on incomes? 4 year vs 4 year. Price vs earnings. I know I am being lazy. :lol:... I agree with CT though. Most college outcome studies are utter bullshat.

That's by an large true, as one would expect. Where you go to school has far less impact on your future prospects than what you do when you get there. That still doesn't seem to stop people from bashing HBCUs at every turn though.

That's by an large true, as one would expect. Where you go to school has far less impact on your future prospects than what you do when you get there. That still doesn't seem to stop people from bashing HBCUs at every turn though.

Bruh, but people live and die by those US News rankings though. Some university Presidents have clauses in their contract that the schools can not fall below a certain rank. Those rankings amount to dollars. Schools game the system big time though.

One of the ranking factors, is the ACT score of your incoming Fall Freshmen class. University of Maryland will let students with good GPA's but below par ACT scores in but make them start in the spring so they don't count against their rankings.

Law schools will give nonprofits money to hire their new graduates for a few months so that their outcome measures appear better than they are when those graduates are surveyed during for law school rankings. Everyone is gaming the system.

However, some law firms will not hire you unless you went to a top ten law school and finished in the top 1/3rd of your class.

Back