Has the MEAC surpassed the SWAC in quality.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ralph said:
Sorry that I questioned your statement and asked how you came to your conclusion. I guess you don't have substantiation. Noted.

I guess you are too lazy to do the research (with your lame brain conjecture).

The SWAC consistently maintains the top attendance average of all Division IAA conferences. Several schools within our conference compete with many of the lower tier Division IA schools.

On the national scene, the Bayou Classic is on NBC each year. This makes the SWAC appearance 12 times over the twelve years. Steve McNair played three times before a national crowd during his senior year (1994) when he took the nation by storm in his bid to become the first Division IAA player to receive the Heisman. Likewise, the Circle City Classic was carried LIVE several times by BET. Other BET games were also carried but tape-delayed. The SWAC Championship Game has been carried by BET over the past few years.

Now we have this cleared up, the initial question was pertaining to quality. The SWAC and MEAC has little ground to brag about who's surpassing who. Unless the SWAC play out-of-conference games against Div IAA schools, it's hard to evaluate our quality of play because we, as a conference, only seek a SWAC Championship. The MEAC continues to compete for the national championship and obtained the Div IAA title once (Late 70's).

Personally, I would like for our conference to seek a national championship via participating in the Div IAA playoff or the Heritage Classic that would deliver a Black National Champion. We have had the exposure; we have enhanced our recruiting through the various classics we participate in. However, unless we develop a meaningful approach to a National Championship, our conference won't achieve it's fullest potential.

Given the new contract with ESPNU, the SWAC and the MEAC needs to re-evaluate its marketing strategy to capture a national championship through this new level of exposure. It won't take long for fans to realize that the product is not certified (i.e. no championships to show except a SWAC Championship). And I'm not a supporter of the Mythical Champion.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
RonHamp,

The MEAC continues to compete for the national championship and obtained the Div IAA title once (Late 70's).

Note: The MEAC has never won a Division I AA National Championship. Florida A & M University was not a member of the MEAC, when they won the Division I AA National Championship.

Jafus (Thinker) said:
RonHamp,

Note: The MEAC has never won a Division I AA National Championship. Florida A & M University was not a member of the MEAC, when they won the Division I AA National Championship.

Very True!!!

However, you are from which you come. Florida A & M was not a member of the MEAC. Each school is a legacy of its history. Each conference is a legacy of its schools.

For the sake of accuracy, no MEAC school has won a national championship; however, Florida A&M won a national championship and is current member of the MEAC (Have they decided not to pursue Div IA?).

Thanks Jafus for the correction.

Ronhamp,

No problem

Have they decided not to pursue Div IA?).

Yes, Florida A & M University petition the NCAA to stop their NCAA Division I A classification and move back down to the NCAA Division I AA level.

Hey Jafus..what about the MEAC longterm..

since the MEAC has two private institutions(Howard and Hampton)...
is Bethune-Cookman privately operated??

I was thinking with the increased costs that public higher education is facing across the country...those costs would impact the privately-run insitutions even more...how would that affect those schools and the MEAC/SWAC in general..

Now that would be my primary concern for the long-term solvency of the conference...but i could be jumpin the gun there

Ronhamp said:
... On the national scene, the Bayou Classic is on NBC each year. This makes the SWAC appearance 12 times over the twelve years. Steve McNair played three times before a national crowd during his senior year (1994) when he took the nation by storm in his bid to become the first Division IAA player to receive the Heisman. Likewise, the Circle City Classic was carried LIVE several times by BET. Other BET games were also carried but tape-delayed. The SWAC Championship Game has been carried by BET over the past few years.

Now we have this cleared up, ...
Not exactly "cleared up" but thanks for the info. To continue this requires a new thread so sorry for the intrusion. TV coverage has little to do with "Has the MEAC surpassed the SWAC in quality....."

Ralph said:
Not exactly "cleared up" but thanks for the info. To continue this requires a new thread so sorry for the intrusion. TV coverage has little to do with "Has the MEAC surpassed the SWAC in quality....."

The question concerning TV coverage was brought up and several posts were made addressing this. As part of my post, I clearly stated, as you, that this thread was about addressing the concern that the MEAC may have surpassed the SWAC in quality.

The most appropriate answer is that in football, the MEAC has a measurable means to determine its quality. The SWAC, given that we play only for a SWAC Championship, doesn't. Unless you want to count mythical championships determined by polls. There are some intra conference games with no clear advantage by either conference.

In comparing the MEAC with the SWAC on other sports, both are struggling to regain national prominence but I do see some improvements being made especially in baseball and track and field.

Journalist,

Hey Jafus..what about the MEAC longterm..

since the MEAC has two private institutions(Howard and Hampton)...
is Bethune-Cookman privately operated??

I was thinking with the increased costs that public higher education is facing across the country...those costs would impact the privately-run insitutions even more...how would that affect those schools and the MEAC/SWAC in general..

Now that would be my primary concern for the long-term solvency of the conference...but i could be jumpin the gun there.

Yes, Bethune-Cookman College is privately operated. While Howard is considered private by most, similar to Tuskegee University. But it should be pointed out that they receive federal funds unlike most of other private institutions because of legislation and some unique qualities based on historical facts. I agree those cost would impact the private institutions even more than the public institutions. I do not believe it will have a major factor on the long-term solvency of the conference. I believe it will dictate some change in athletic operating budget philisophies, though.

This should answer the question quite clearly unless of course you all want to just find something to nit-pick about.

Here?s a complete ranking of all conferences since the conception of the MEAC. I know that there are other databases but common sense would tell you that you wouldn?t find that big of a disparity between them with the Ncaa record books trumping all of them.

Feel free to actually do your own research and get some facts vs. conjecture.

Conference Rankings Period: 1970-1979

Conference Rankings Period: 1980-1989

Conference Rankings Period: 1990-1999

Conference Rankings Period: 2000-2003

bluedog said:
This should answer the question quite clearly unless of course you all want to just find something to nit-pick about....

...Feel free to actually do your own research and get some facts vs. conjecture.

Bluedog, I appreciate you trying to clear this up once and for all. Unfortunately, the computer was suppose to perform calculations after the end of 2003 for the period 2000-2003. It's now 2005 and the computer is still working to generate data to clearly substantiate these ratings.

I'm a scientist by trade and generally want to know how the data was generated. I'm just not impressed with a lot of numbers. Obviously, I don't understand how they were derived. I have stayed somewhat abreast on the various HBCU programs and have concluded that both the MEAC and the SWAC have some improvements to make before they are able to scorn the other.

Good attempt to bring closure on this one. However, in the end, conjecture has therefore created lots of numbers that may be meaningless. Maybe not.

Ronhamp said:
Bluedog, I appreciate you trying to clear this up once and for all. Unfortunately, the computer was suppose to perform calculations after the end of 2003 for the period 2000-2003. It's now 2005 and the computer is still working to generate data to clearly substantiate these ratings.

I'm a scientist by trade and generally want to know how the data was generated. I'm just not impressed with a lot of numbers. Obviously, I don't understand how they were derived. I have stayed somewhat abreast on the various HBCU programs and have concluded that both the MEAC and the SWAC have some improvements to make before they are able to scorn the other.

Good attempt to bring closure on this one. However, in the end, conjecture has therefore created lots of numbers that may be meaningless. Maybe not.

I understand your position but it is what it is at this point. It seems that the computer is actually calculating on a nine year basis and hat may be why it isn?t finish (maybe not) but to this point it?s clear that the SWAC has an advantage being ranked 12th within the calculation from 70-79 Meac 26th, 14th 90-99 Meac 16th with the Meac having its only edge from 80-89 being ranked 19th and the SWAC 22nd.

The total point at this point in time is the SWAC 982.98 Meac 863.65 if I?m figuring this right, I?m like you in that I really don?t know how they come up with these numbers or actually in reality I don?t take the time to figure it out. So the answer to the topic of this thread to me is clearly no, which is all I?m trying to get across.

Thanks Bluedog for the additional points.

Although there are some things that both conferences (SWAC & MEAC) could learn from one another, I think that ultimately our conferences need to get better. Over the past couple of seasons, I've definitely seen a higher expectation by our commissioner for all schools to improve their programs.

Without naming names, there were just too many SWAC teams that didn't fill very good teams in ANY sports. Some of them didn't even have any scholarship athletes for a while. The SWAC office spoke up and demanded that these schools work to become more competitive.

When one of our schools is winless for five or six seasons, it lowers the WHOLE conference standing and the entire conference is negatively affected. I feel that several sports have become more competitive now (both men & women) by most teams. Our conference now needs to win some big games against out-of-conference competition when the opportunity arises. I'm optimistic that this, too, will be accomplished in the near future.

Ronhamp said:
Thanks Bluedog for the additional points.

Although there are some things that both conferences (SWAC & MEAC) could learn from one another, I think that ultimately our conferences need to get better. Over the past couple of seasons, I've definitely seen a higher expectation by our commissioner for all schools to improve their programs.

Without naming names, there were just too many SWAC teams that didn't fill very good teams in ANY sports. Some of them didn't even have any scholarship athletes for a while. The SWAC office spoke up and demanded that these schools work to become more competitive.

When one of our schools is winless for five or six seasons, it lowers the WHOLE conference standing and the entire conference is negatively affected. I feel that several sports have become more competitive now (both men & women) by most teams. Our conference now needs to win some big games against out-of-conference competition when the opportunity arises. I'm optimistic that this, too, will be accomplished in the near future.
I agree 100%

bluedog said:
This should answer the question quite clearly unless of course you all want to just find something to nit-pick about.

Here?s a complete ranking of all conferences since the conception of the MEAC. I know that there are other databases but common sense would tell you that you wouldn?t find that big of a disparity between them with the Ncaa record books trumping all of them.

Feel free to actually do your own research and get some facts vs. conjecture.

Good Post!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Ralph said:
My thought exactly. C'mon folks.
What D1aa conference has had more football games on NATIONAL TV than the MEAC or SWAC? Im sure you will duck and dodge the question.

DAHILL said:
What D1aa conference has had more football games on NATIONAL TV than the MEAC or SWAC? Im sure you will duck and dodge the question.
I will never "duck and dodge" any question. I simply asked Journalist how the posted statement was quantified. Geez. To answer your question, the A-10 may have had more "NATIONAL TV" football games last year. Let's quit hijacking this thread.

Originally Posted by Journalist
... SWAC and MEAC gets more mainstream coverage than any I-AA conference. ...

JROCK said:
I believe that if you examine NATIONAL television appearance over the last 12 years, no conference in division I-AA has made more appearances than the SOUTHWESTERN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE. (stop with the B.S.)

Ralph said:
I will never "duck and dodge" any question. I simply asked Journalist how the posted statement was quantified. Geez. To answer your question, the A-10 may have had more "NATIONAL TV" football games last year. Let's quit hijacking this thread.

Originally Posted by Journalist
... SWAC and MEAC gets more mainstream coverage than any I-AA conference. ...

More tomfoolery...........What does last year have to do with the last 12 years? (looks like ducking and dodging to me)

JROCK said:
I believe ...
Stop with the B.S. and hijacking. Email me if you want further discussion on this or start a new thread. Be sure to have some facts to back up your claim.

:D Now Ralph.......TSK, TSK............ :goof:

When I asked for facts on AGS ...........I got a thread dedicated to running me off. :D

Ralph said:
Stop with the B.S. and hijacking. Email me if you want further discussion on this or start a new thread. Be sure to have some facts to back up your claim.

Go fly a kite son (and stop coming in here with that unsubstantiated B.S. that you have been spewing)

BTW, I would not e-mail your tired azz if your life depended on it. And as I said in the past do your own research!

JROCK said:
Go fly a kite son (and stop coming in hear with that unsubstantiated B.S.)

BTW, I would not e-mail your tired azz if your life depended on it.

You don't care much for Ralph, do you? Go on, admit it. :lol:

AAMU Alum said:
You don't care much for Ralph, do you? Go on, admit it. :lol:

Hell no..........Because I know what he is about (and the thought is nauseating). :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back