Has the MEAC surpassed the SWAC in quality.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bartram said:
yes, the Div I-A HBCU conference proposed would range wide geographically, but you could have an "East" and "West" division. with a division format you could lessen the travel impact and mix in "classics" to help defray the long distance travel perhaps?

I don't want to slam anyone for dreaming; however, many (all) of our schools can't afford the luxuries of Div I and must travel by bus to many of their games. I definitely don't see this change anytime soon. Likewise, I've been to non-conference games (NOT CLASSICS) where poor attendance was the result.

The one thing that the SWAC schools can continue to brag about, year in and year out, is the attendance records they've enjoyed as a Div IAA conference. I love seeing SWAC teams playing one another. What exactly will the "Super Conference" accomplish? To me, it only would mean financial difficulty from trying to keep up with the Joneses. The best way for us to improve our stature as a conference is by becoming more and more legitimate (i.e. national championships).

One step would be to return to a Black National Championship through the Heritage Bowl (SWAC vs MEAC) which I believe that attendance and activities could be developed to get our fans their. With the right marketing (especially with the current media exposure expected from ESPNU), this could become THE game for black folks. Look at the Bayou Classic, its sucess is marketing. The Southern Heritage Classic, likewise, is marketing. I know many graduates of PWC's who attend these games!!!!

Based on the ideas presented (Super Conference to compete in Div IA), I think attendance would drop off just as it has in basketball. I can remember the time when MEAC school, CIAA schools and SWAC schools would play one another in basketball because they were in the local area. Now our team can't draw flies when they bring in Louisiana Tech, Arkansas State, and other for pre-season basketball. This is before anyone knows what kind of season to expect. The areanas are empty. It's not that way against rivalry competition.

In football, a 0-11 Alcorn team playing against Jackson State will still get you 30,000 fans in the Capital City Classic. I don't know about the rest of you, but I think that Div IAA is our home. We need to get comfortable in it and show the rest of the world that "This is My House!!!)." If our conference consistently win Championships at the Div IAA level, our talent level will improve through it.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Ronhamp said:
I don't want to slam anyone for dreaming; however, many (all) of our schools can't afford the luxuries of Div I and must travel by bus to many of their games. I definitely don't see this change anytime soon. Likewise, I've been to non-conference games (NOT CLASSICS) where poor attendance was the result.

The one thing that the SWAC schools can continue to brag about, year in and year out, is the attendance records they've enjoyed as a Div IAA conference. I love seeing SWAC teams playing one another. What exactly will the "Super Conference" accomplish? To me, it only would mean financial difficulty from trying to keep up with the Joneses. The best way for us to improve our stature as a conference is by becoming more and more legitimate (i.e. national championships).

One step would be to return to a Black National Championship through the Heritage Bowl (SWAC vs MEAC) which I believe that attendance and activities could be developed to get our fans their. With the right marketing (especially with the current media exposure expected from ESPNU), this could become THE game for black folks. Look at the Bayou Classic, its sucess is marketing. The Southern Heritage Classic, likewise, is marketing. I know many graduates of PWC's who attend these games!!!!

Based on the ideas presented (Super Conference to compete in Div IA), I think attendance would drop off just as it has in basketball. I can remember the time when MEAC school, CIAA schools and SWAC schools would play one another in basketball because they were in the local area. Now our team can't draw flies when they bring in Louisiana Tech, Arkansas State, and other for pre-season basketball. This is before anyone knows what kind of season to expect. The areanas are empty. It's not that way against rivalry competition.

In football, a 0-11 Alcorn team playing against Jackson State will still get you 30,000 fans in the Capital City Classic. I don't know about the rest of you, but I think that Div IAA is our home. We need to get comfortable in it and show the rest of the world that "This is My House!!!)." If our conference consistently win Championships at the Div IAA level, our talent level will improve through it.

Amen!!! ___________X Co-signing

Let's work on where we are now...because the economics of Division I-A will only get more expensive, not cheaper as time goes on...Actually, looking at UL-Monroe, UL-Lafayette, Tulane and other middle-to-lower-tier I-A programs, I'd rather stay in I-AA and make more money than to move up to I-A and hemmorrage money hand over fist...

Let's be the bigger fish in the smaller pond...not the smallest fish in the ocean

Besides SWAC and MEAC gets more mainstream coverage than any I-AA conference.
Bring back the Heritage Bowl and market it right...also in basketball, baseball and other sports... have a week in the season where SWAC and MEAC teams play each other like the old-school Big-10/Big East Challenge.

there's so much more prestige and money to get if we all work together instead of having separate agendas...

Journalist said:
Amen!!! ___________X Co-signing

Bring back the Heritage Bowl and market it right...also in basketball, baseball and other sports... have a week in the season where SWAC and MEAC teams play each other like the old-school Big-10/Big East Challenge.

there's so much more prestige and money to get if we all work together instead of having separate agendas...

I know that at least one AD has gone on the record to support the renewal of the Heritage Bowl. The SWAC and the MEAC has gotten a BIG PRIZE that they should now use to their benefit. With ESPNU coverage, our conferences can market our product. I've been asked many times over the years why I would drive by the PWC schools to see Alcorn play Grambling when I could watch Mississippi State versus Alabama. I usually tell them that I always find a "diamond in the rough" instead of a gladiator in pampers.

The college and pro games are filled with these gladiators in pampers; we need to market our "diamond in the rough" because one day they just might make it into the NBA, NFL, MBL, movie screen, etc and we know that they weren't pampered. They had to become sucessful even though they did not have all the resources afforded those pampered gladiators. I can applaud the Avery Johnsons, the Jerry Rice, the Steve McNairs, and many, many others who have put on the SWAC uniforms to deliver their fans those unbelievable memories that we can talk about time and time again.

I'M EXCITED ABOUT SOME OF THE THINGS HAPPENIN' AT THE SWAC OFFICE. THERE IS A NEED TO CLEARLY UNDERSTAND THAT OUR WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY IS NOW!!!!!!! LET'S DO IT RIGHT FROM HERE ON OUT.

thegooddoctor said:
Has the MEAC surpassed the SWAC in the quality of it's athletic teams and academic programs?

Is it time to face reality? :sleeping:

F$ck NO!!!

The Meac is just as jacked up as the Swac. Don't worry, we are no where near leaving you all in the dirt.

Killer Bees said:
I would guess that people would be able to know Grambling before they know Georgia Southern.
That doesn't translate into the SWAC and the MEAC getting more mainstream coverage than any I-AA conference.

lets get rid of the old ADs and these people who want more on their paycheck that for their students.

there are people at our schools who are ready to make a positive impact in the SWAC.

look around at our schools ... There are SWAs, ompliance directors, business managers, SIDs, etc. who have been in the conference for a while ... they have held it down and no one wants to consider them for an AD spot because they are not coaches. Not all coaches make good athletic directors. just becuase you won a few games means nothing. Look at people on the administrative side of athletics ... they understand the business of athletics because they work on that side ... they also must love what they do because they more often than not are not being paid for what they do. We have people who work 60-70 hours a week for the entire year - not just the season they coach - not because they make six figures, but because they love the student athlete and they love college athletics.

it all starts at the top, let's revamp our athletic departments... move some of these stagnant people, these thieves (not all ADs are thieves, but we do have some), these people holding up progress and lets return to greatness

Killer Bees said:
Do you realize how much of land that would cover?????? Most of our budgets couldn't handle the travel cost. The MEAC is already hurting by themselves because how far schools have to travel.

FAMU and Bethune Cookman need to be dropped from the MEAC. Once Winston-Salem State and North Carolina Central U. make there jump to Div-IAA...FAMU and BCC will only be burdens on the confrence. :tdown:

After all we are the Middle-Eastern Athletic Confrence And we should adhere to the name only schools in NC,SC,VA,DC, and MD. And now with Virginia State outline there plans we will have no need for FAMU or BCC.
:smh:

demondmccombs said:

FAMU and Bethune Cookman need to be dropped from the MEAC. Once Winston-Salem State and North Carolina Central U. make there jump to Div-IAA...FAMU and BCC will only be burdens on the confrence. :tdown:

After all we are the Middle-Eastern Athletic Confrence And we should adhere to the name only schools in NC,SC,VA,DC, and MD. And now with Virginia State outline there plans we will have no need for FAMU or BCC.
:smh:

I believe that there is room for FAM & BCC in a possible Southern Division of a new MEAC format.

Ralph said:
That doesn't translate into the SWAC and the MEAC getting more mainstream coverage than any I-AA conference.

I believe that if you examine NATIONAL television appearance over the last 12 years, no conference in division I-AA has made more appearances than the SOUTHWESTERN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE. (stop with the B.S.)

JROCK said:
I believe that there is room for FAM & BCC in a possible Southern Division of a new MEAC format.

Possibly, I do know the MEAC is going after the right schools! :winkgrin:

Increasing the North Carolina presence is going to help the MEAC greatly. North Carolina citizens and leaders all have histories of beeing excellent supporters of pro and College athletics. :nod: :nod: :nod:

With North Carolina soon holding 3 of its confrence school the momentum is going be greatly increased. WSSU and NCCU will be great additions and in my prediciton is going to make the MEAC tournament rising event.

In 6-10 years I expect the MEAC tournament to be at CIAA level! :D

demondmccombs said:
Possibly, I do know the MEAC is going after the right schools! :winkgrin:

Increasing the North Carolina presence is going to help the MEAC greatly. North Carolina citizens and leaders all have histories of beeing excellent supporters of pro and College athletics. :nod: :nod: :nod:

With North Carolina soon holding 3 of its confrence school the momentum is going be greatly increased. WSSU and NCCU will be great additions and in my prediciton is going to make the MEAC tournament rising event.

In 6-10 years I expect the MEAC tournament to be at CIAA level! :D

:tup:

WSSU has had some interesting products. lol.......Steven A. Smith is the true "mouth of the south!" :lol: (for that matter the mouth of the NBA). Few people know that Louis Farakhan was an undergrad there also.

JROCK said:
:tup:

WSSU has had some interesting products. lol.......Steven A. Smith is the true "mouth of the south!" :lol: (for that matter the mouth of the NBA). Few people know that Louis Farakhan was an undergrad there also.
Is Steven A. Smith a WSSU grad? I didn't know this, but this is good to know. Makes me appreciate him even more.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SAME OLD G said:
Is Steven A. Smith a WSSU grad? I didn't know this, but this is good to know. Makes me appreciate him even more.

Yes he is, I think he played basketball for them, as well.

NICE

D-NICE said:
Yes he is, I think he played basketball for them, as well.

NICE

"True That."

Talking about got............"The Gift of Gab." (He reminds me of ole skool SWAC trash talkers) :lol:

Stephen Smith would have fit right in at Southern! :D But it's good to know that he graduated from an HBCU.

JROCK said:
"True That."

Talking about got............"The Gift of Gab." (He reminds me of ole skool SWAC trash talkers) :lol:

I'm only curious about one thing... are that brother's cameras situated up above his head or something?

JROCK said:
I believe that if you examine NATIONAL television appearance over the last 12 years, no conference in division I-AA has made more appearances than the SOUTHWESTERN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE. (stop with the B.S.)
You can say what you want but I'm not buying unless you supply the goods. 12 years you say? Prove it because I just want to know (maybe cite games and "national" television station). Thanks in advance.

Ralph said:
You can say what you want but I'm not buying unless you supply the goods. 12 years you say? Prove it because I just want to know (maybe cite games and "national" television station). Thanks in advance.

Do your own research! I know the answer and it is you that are perpetrating.

demondmccombs said:

Why don't you guy take them? :mad:

I doubt very seriously if the consensus in the MEAC would be to dismiss FAMU & BCC. Maybe you should go to meacfans and get the pulse of those folks relating to your query. :lol:

JROCK said:
Do your own research! I know the answer and it is you that are perpetrating.
Sorry that I questioned your statement and asked how you came to your conclusion. I guess you don't have substantiation. Noted.

Ralph said:
Sorry that I questioned your statement and asked how you came to your conclusion. I guess you don't have substantiation. Noted.

BET is a NATIONAL television station... BET use to show a SWAC/MEAC game every week... as of lately they usually show about 5 games a year. I dont recall one conference d1aa game on NATIONAL TV as of lately (I may be wrong)

Im not talking about CSTV or any Fox regional channels... those are regional not National. ESPN2 may show some (im not sure) but even if so no conference is showcased more on national TV than the SWAC or MEAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back