Grant Interviews for Youngstown State Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
bluedog said:
Harvey Adger
I think we need someone with college experience. That offense Glen Oaks runs will never work in college. His style is worst than Grants. Depending on who they are playing they hold the ball the whole quarter.

the band fan said:
it's out the bag......

Speaking of out the bag, what's deal with PV's head men basketball coach ? I have heard some interesting rumors about who is going to be the head coach next year.

I believe one of our assistants, Courtney Henderson, was one of those intramural guys that finally came out for the team. He did okay for two years and now is on staff.

I applaud what the board has said though. Start the damn search Monday whether Grant is there or not! You never come out and say that crap while under contract. If he had a fanbase, that would have killed it right there.

As for a new coach at SU, who knows? A HS coach would be cool, but could lack needed experience. What assistant would leave a higher program to get a head coaching job at SU. I would call ol' Pierre at LSU though. I'm not sure of his coaching abilities, but the brother can recruit like a beast!

One thing for sure,this will hurt Southern's recruiting. I'd bet that the statements Grant made really inflamed his team. Obviously, he think there's a better job out there than in Baton Rouge.

you don't have Butch Pierre money Jag.....he won't even sniff SU unless you pay him more than Pete but considering the tactics he recruits with at LSU...it won't work at SU....the kids he solicits want things in return....it ain't worth it..

as for PV basketball.....we still have a coach..

Francis and Grant ironically are runnign buddies but Francis would do wonders at Southern if you ask me.

the band fan said:
you don't have Butch Pierre money Jag.....he won't even sniff SU unless you pay him more than Pete but considering the tactics he recruits with at LSU...it won't work at SU....the kids he solicits want things in return....it ain't worth it..

as for PV basketball.....we still have a coach..

Francis and Grant ironically are runnign buddies but Francis would do wonders at Southern if you ask me.

Let me make this perfectly clear Butch Pierre grew up in my hometown and I coach him in summer league ball when he was a young boy. I spoke with him just after new years about this very thing when I went back home. (he happen to be there having a few thirst quenchers)

He told me himself that he wouldn't mind having the job, not that I'm in favor of him having it or not but make no mistake Butch would love that job. Btw he tried to get the ULL job where he was an assistant when we played them regularly and I know dang well they don't have what you call Butch Pierre money and yes I do know what Butch Pierre money is.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
I think we need someone with college experience. That offense Glen Oaks runs will never work in college. His style is worst than Grants. Depending on who they are playing they hold the ball the whole quarter.

You use what tools you have if you're a smart coach and he doesn't have the Lester Earls or the point guard that got into that mess in Georgia anymore.

His style of coaching had him tops in the nation several years and the state coach of the year and runner up several times. Young men respect him and love playing for him, if they go high school coach I can't think of anybody more suited for the job in this area.

Uf I was Southern University, I would have a 1 man list. Butch Pierre the assistant at LSU. No Brainer...give him a budget, a good salary, and let him go to work. Your program would explode in BR and the region in terms of recruiting. Your scheduling would be much easier...the contacts are there.

Just an opinion...

The man can recruit because he is every where the kid is. None of us have the funds to support the type of recruiting he is doing. Trust... LSU has gotten lucky with the fact all the talent that has been in the Baton Rouge area recently. They are not pulling great players from outside the state. Who knows if he can even coach? My man sits on the bench the whole game while Brandy acts a fool. He'll whisper something in Brandy's ear from time to time but that is it. He will be needing a new job in a minute anyway if certain people get what they want.

GRAM4LIFE said:
The man can recruit because he is every where the kid is. None of us have the funds to support the type of recruiting he is doing. Trust... LSU has gotten lucky with the fact all the talent that has been in the Baton Rouge area recently. They are not pulling great players from outside the state. Who knows if he can even coach? My man sits on the bench the whole game while Brandy acts a fool. He'll whisper something in Brandy's ear from time to time but that is it. He will be needing a new job in a minute anyway if certain people get what they want.

I see your reasoning, but I'm thinking that with Pierre the revenue would begin to come back for Jaguar Basketball. Pierre would want to schedule more home ane home out of conference games with State Schools. This will be good for attendance. I think the booster activity and sponsorship would go up. I see more pre-season tourney invites or the ability to host it's own pre-season tourney. I don't know what the capacity of FGC or what the avg attendance would need to be in order to support expenses, but I think it could be done with the right hire.

believe me....Pierre would ask for more than SU is willing to do....your willing to give him a 2 million dollar hoop budget? And considering some of the tactics LSU has used to get certain players eligible...it would not work at SU.

I doubt yall would pay for Stromile Swift and Lester Earl....

and who knows how much cash Tasmin Mitchell has received just to stay at home....

and your right..is he an Xs and Os guy? LSU has underachieved dearly

the band fan said:
believe me....Pierre would ask for more than SU is willing to do....your willing to give him a 2 million dollar hoop budget? And considering some of the tactics LSU has used to get certain players eligible...it would not work at SU.

I doubt yall would pay for Stromile Swift and Lester Earl....

and who knows how much cash Tasmin Mitchell has received just to stay at home....

and your right..is he an Xs and Os guy? LSU has underachieved dearly

Sorry I forgot to whom I was speaking to. You have knowledge of all the going ons at SU but didn?t know that your own school put one of its players on suspension and not the SWAC office.

Surely you know what a young man I help teach about sports (Butch) and grew-up in my neighborhood, ate at my Mothers house and was taught by my Mother would want to do, my apologies.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If, in fact, Grant does get the position at YSU, I know one name that will surface as an interested candidate for the position....David "Rusty" Ponton.

Ponton, a native of Melville, played for Ben Jobe @ SU from 84-88. He was a finalist while Grant was being interviewed.

I hope Grant does get the position and hopefully Ponton can breathe some much needed life into the program.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Harvey Adger

Joel Hawkins or either Adger could have done a better job.

Jax1906 said:
If, in fact, Grant does get the position at YSU, I know one name that will surface as an interested candidate for the position....David "Rusty" Ponton.

Ponton, a native of Melville, played for Ben Jobe @ SU from 84-88. He was a finalist while Grant was being interviewed.

I hope Grant does get the position and hopefully Ponton can breathe some much needed life into the program.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Joel Hawkins or either Adger could have done a better job.

:smh:Noooooooooo way dude Rusty burnt his bridges doing the negotiating for the women job and the Chancellor called him out on it on the Jaguar Journal, he definitely won?t get the job.

the board hated on Rusty.....why don't you ask him what was brought up? They found some petty junk on him that had nothing to do with hoops...same with Valdery.

Butch Pierre is major D-1 and has major D-1 needs...unless you pay him more than Pete he ain't coming....regardless what he may have learned at your momma's house. :rolleyes:

when a brotha goes high D-1...he ain't dropping down unless he'll get paid....he's bound to get a higher job after this season..his nephew enrolling at LSU is the only reason he did not bolt now...got to complete the deal.

the band fan said:
the board hated on Rusty.....why don't you ask him what was brought up? They found some petty junk on him that had nothing to do with hoops...same with Valdery.

Butch Pierre is major D-1 and has major D-1 needs...unless you pay him more than Pete he ain't coming....regardless what he may have learned at your momma's house. :rolleyes:

when a brotha goes high D-1...he ain't dropping down unless he'll get paid....he's bound to get a higher job after this season..his nephew enrolling at LSU is the only reason he did not bolt now...got to complete the deal.

TBF,
How the hell do you know what Piere will do? He aint about to get a big D-1 job just yet so what makes you think SU couldn't get him? Also he will not be trying to recruit the Lester Earl, Brandon Bass, and Tasim Mitchell types. I think he is smarter than that. He knows what he would have to do at SU to win. That might be the stepping stone he needs to get a big time job. It aint going to happen under Brady. It is amazing how you try to dispute SU folks on the board who actually know the people personally. Hell some are actually related to these people. But you think you have all the insight based on a couple of conversations you may have had along the way. If BD says that he has talked to Pierre personally then that is credible info. SU also has money to spend on a coach. And since we know LSU aint paying Pierre Pete type of money then why would he think he could get it over at SU or at any school unless he is getting hired by a SEC type school. Remember in the South at most of our schools. The football coach makes the most money. Even at LSU. Only a few programs pay their basketball coach big arse money. We all know who they are.

Still trying to figure out why you think this guy can command some big time money. If he could he would be gone from LSU and coaching his own program. If all he can do is recruit, well then he aint going to get a big time job that will pay him more than we pay Pete. I am sure we can pay him what LSU is and give him the opportunity to show he can coach as well. If not then he will be where he is until LSU fires Brady. Which aint going to be long if they underachieve again with those so-called paid recruits.

Speaking of PV's coach. Francis resume is better than Pierre and even he can't get a big time offer. That should tell you something. These big schools are looking for Coach K proteges, NC proteges, Pitino proteges and coaches who make runs in the NCAA tourney like UW-Milwaukee. That's where the coaches are coming from. These black assistant coaches on average big time programs like LSU aint getting no love from major 1-A programs, hell that aint getting love from mid-major programs. That's the truth.

LSU doesn't pay? manipulate SAT scores? Is SU ready for that? want some inside information? you won't believe me anyway...I don't know anyone who makes decisions :rolleyes:

the band fan said:
LSU doesn't pay? manipulate SAT scores? Is SU ready for that? want some inside information? you won't believe me anyway...I don't know anyone who makes decisions :rolleyes:

No you don't know. LSU doesn't pay Pierre big money is what I am saying. We know they cheat. Pierre has applied for some jobs that were not on LSU level, so why wouldn't he consider SU? Besides every coach don't have to do what Brady and LSU do. LSU has no choice cause they aint no basketball power and have a coach with no name. Besides it is a LSU tradition in basketball to cheat. LOL.

TBF, sometimes you trip me out on how YOU think you know what's going on at TxSU and SU. You aint in BR and you aint an alum nor are you an local media person. I am on the phone right now who is in BR and is IN THE KNOW. So you are right I am not going to believe you. Why? You haven't been right yet. You better stop underestimating some of us Jags on the board who you think don't have a clue or talk to the right folk in the know at SU, like the chancellor and various board members. Concentrate on what is going on at PV.

AAMU takes over SWAC Basketball and now it comes down to all of this and we play in Elmore.

Seriously, Grant was not given a fair chance. Stop acting like it was all his fault. If I recall correctly, some folks didn't like that big house he bought and then it was on from that point.

Don't do like GSU in Football and try to steal our basketball coach. :angry:

Assistant ousted at Southern

http://www.2theadvocate.com/southern/

As Southern men's basketball coach Michael Grant awaits a decision as one of the finalists at Youngstown State, Grant fired SU assistant coach Derek Thompson.
Grant informed Southern Athletic Director Floyd Kerr of the move Thursday, Kerr said, but Thompson said he didn't find out until he found a letter on his desk Friday morning.

Also, although Grant on Thursday said he'd meet with the players Friday to discuss the Youngstown situation, that meeting never took place. Instead, with word of Grant's Youngstown candidacy spreading around campus, SU's players had an impromptu meeting with Kerr.

Kerr said he'd look into the players' concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back