Grant Interviews for Youngstown State Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat daddy

Grant, Edwards interview for vacancy; Slocumb to visit today

By justin smolkovich

Before a packed room of media, head basketball coach of Southern University Michael Grant spoke confidently of his abilities and what needs to be done at Youngstown State University.

Grant, who is one of three finalists up for the vacant head coaching position, was unabashed in his feelings toward YSU.

"I cannot put it any simpler: I want this job," Grant said.

Being the first to interview for the job was a welcome relief to Grant who said his energy set the bar high for the others to follow.

"I am glad I went first, I want the others to match my intensity," Grant said.

Grant, who is 42-years-old and has been coaching for 22 years, said he believes with his knowledge, enthusiasm and expertise in Ohio recruiting, the Penguins' basketball team can once again return to the glory days.

Grant, who is the head coach of the Jaguars, previously held the position of head basketball coach at Central State University in Wilberforce, Ohio, said recruiting is the key to any winning program. Grant also believes he can sell the university to any player and is confident in his ability to get top talent to play in Beeghly Center.

"The bottom line is players," Grant said. "I think I can recruit with anyone in the country."

"I think, I know I can sell Youngstown State University."

Grant has been placed in the position of rebuilding programs twice before at both Central State and Southern, and said turning around programs is his specialty.

"I am a rebuilder," Grant said. "I take a lot of pride in my job."

In his first year at Southern, the Jaguars recorded double digits in wins for the first time since the 1999-2000 campaign.

Another aspect of the game Grant hopes to improve on pending his hire is the amount of wins at Beeghly Center.

"Going five of 10 is not acceptable. It is very important to win at home," Grant said.

If nothing else, Grant a Cleveland native, believes attendance will go up with his hire.

"I think attendance will go up at least 100 with just my family members alone."

While Grant proved to be full of explosive energy, Wednesday's interview with Indiana University of Pennsylvania's Gary Edwards was more relaxed and cool.

http://www.thejambar.com/news/2005/...r.Vacancy.Slocumb.To.Visit.Today-914930.shtml

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
BgJag said:
Hope he get the job.:)
I do to. Southern tradition is run and gun. How you gonna come in here with that walk the ball up the court crap. When he got the job he said he was gonna run and gun. But we all know he didn't. I know the people at Southern. With him talking like that, he good as gone.

I hope he gets the job. He is gonna need one.
When you ask the players who should be starting "Houston we have a problem".

I hope he gets the job too. Not because I believe he sucks as a coach. If he ever wants a job someplace other than mopping the kitchen at Shoney's, he needs to get the hell away from that team now or go out and find some YMCA quality players that the better teams in the SWAC seems to have.

I do to. Southern tradition is run and gun. How you gonna come in here with that walk the ball up the court crap. When he got the job he said he was gonna run and gun. But we all know he didn't. I know the people at Southern. With him talking like that, he good as gone.

Tradition holds us as HBCU's back. Sometimes you got to let tradition go and start a new. I don't care if we fast break or play half court. Just WIN.

tsutiger said:
Tradition holds us as HBCU's back. Sometimes you got to let tradition go and start a new. I don't care if we fast break or play half court. Just WIN.
Exactly!!!!..... this was the best SU team I can remember since AAMU joined the SWAC. They were one of the VERY few teams with LEGIT post players in the league.

I was a Grant fan but it lt looks like he is wearing out this welcome at SU. True, a coach needs to do what's best for his career and family and I can't blame him for that.

If he thinks Yougstown State is a better basketball opportunity, that's his choice.

I hope it works out well for him because if he stays at SU, his contract probably won't be renewed after this year. SU should not feel any loyalty to Grant after he tried to leave in only 2 years and blamed his players for a lot of the losses.

I wish him well. I really hope he gets the job. I don't want anyone at Southern University who doesn't want to be there.

Good Luck to Coach Grant. He just never seemed like he wanted to be here. Hey move on........

never recruited a high school kid to this day....like Dahill said, had the best post play in the SWAC..but Xs and Os....I don't know....this team was not a 6th seed on paper.

his boss who hired him is now gone and SU fans are complaining like he had a 3-win team but turned the other cheek when Jobe coached that team into the ground

I don't blame him...

Personally, I think Grant never wanted to be here in the first place. He got the job b/c Kerr knew him so he just wanted to step up a level to D1 ball from the school he was previously at. If he leaves I think it would be good for Southern, its hard to get good chemistry on a team when you are only getting players with two years of elgibility left, you have be able to recruit high school talent and most of local high school talent or talent that is in the region.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
the band fan said:
his boss who hired him is now gone and SU fans are complaining like he had a 3-win team but turned the other cheek when Jobe coached that team into the ground

I don't blame him...

I aint want to say it but since you did.... BINGO... he had SU in contention this year for the regular season title... when Jobe came back the program was horrible and there wasnt nowhere near as much complaining as there is now. (Not to take anything away from Jobe)

but i do feel you about the JUCO transfers... I HATE THEM...... not too many have helped AAMU out that I recall... with a few exceptions and Joe Martin from this past year. But I could only imagine what Pettaway would have done with Joe Martin if he had been here out of high school. We had about 4 JUCO players last year that came to AAMU... none of them could hang with the players coming out of high school and all of them ended up quitting with the exception of Joe Martin. If you aint averaging more than 15 points in JUCO, then I dont want u at my school.

Hey will you'll be quite before someone at YSU looks at this thread and decide not to hire him.:swink:

the band fan said:
never recruited a high school kid to this day....like Dahill said, had the best post play in the SWAC..but Xs and Os....I don't know....this team was not a 6th seed on paper.

His boss who hired him is now gone and SU fans are complaining like he had a 3-win team but turned the other cheek when Jobe coached that team into the ground

I don't blame him...

Wow, for the first time in a long time I will have to agree with BF. Its funny how folks think that kids really wanted to come to Southern out of high school, especially locally. Yes, they do have some quality players in Baton Rouge and the surrounding areas in basketball, however these kids know the current history of Southern basketball (i.e. Jobe and Green) and many just don't want to be part of a team rebuilding, they want to go into a solid program.

Grants goal was to get JUCO players in the make an immediate turnaround to then re-establish a basketball tradition in order to attract the high school player.

PAPAJAG said:
Hey will you'll be quite before someone at YSU looks at this thread and decide not to hire him.:swink:

All they have to do is read this morning's Advocate. :look:

DAHILL said:
I aint want to say it but since you did.... BINGO... he had SU in contention this year for the regular season title... when Jobe came back the program was horrible and there wasnt nowhere near as much complaining as there is now. (Not to take anything away from Jobe)

I don't think that's the case at all. I'm a Grant fan and thought he was doing a good job... but if a coach wants to leave after 2 years, I say good luck and move on. No one wants a coach at SU who doesn't want to be there. I will say the same thing about ANY coach at SU right now.

I hope he leaves and if he doesnt next year will be a long year for him, I personally think he can't coach and never wanted to be here.My biggest issue is that he said he could recruit.....THAT'S A DAMN LIE......if any of you are fortunate enough to ever go to an intramural game at SU you would find that our best basketball players are not on the team. No knock against our current players but you can't just win the home games and lose on the road. Bottom line, we need a coach that has a passion to bring basketball to the next level at SU and we do have athletes to compete on campus but we need a REAL coach that can recruit. And it's not just on campus, Baton Rouge is full of talent, there is no reason we shouldn't have a few BR players, I mean look at what LSU did with it's homegrown talent.

sujag07 said:
..if any of you are fortunate enough to ever go to an intramural game at SU you would find that our best basketball players are not on the team. \.

Thats EVERY college.... matter of fact the best players at most colleges are on the FOOTBALL team.

the band fan said:

I don't blame him...

TBF,
There was alot of complaining about Jobe. But he did get somewhat of a pass like alot of coaches do when they have won championships at their school. Jobe had done that. Plus Jobe was only supposed to be a filler until someone else stepped in. But trust me, alot of SU folks complained. Grant is simply feeling what most outside the SU loop coaches do. If they don't win right away(which in my mind he did a decent job) then they will feel the heat/pressure. Grant also never won over the SU faithful with his personality. You almost have to have a used car salesman personality to deal with our fans and alumni. Remember how Dale Brown was at LSU. Jobe also had that type of colorful personality. People give you the benefit of the doubt if you are that accessible and cordial. You still have to win, but it makes it easier. Ask Pete about that. Just think how it would be for him if he never won a SWAC title. Hell he wouldn't be there. I saw Otis Washington stay longer than he should at SU, because folks liked him and he was personable. Guess it didn't hurt that he was from N.O. either.

Now as far as Grant and the YSU job. I can't blame him. Kerr is gone and he's gotten a feel on how it is at SU. He also is from Ohio and he knows the area. Those kids also live and breathe basketball in the Midwest/North like we do football in the South. So he will be able to recruit better athletes to YSU than he could to SU. Especially out of HS. That's no knock on SU, it is just how it is. What SU needs to do now if Grant leaves is find a coach that can recruit our area well. That may mean stealing an assistant coach from a bigger program. Look at what UW-Milwaukee did once they lost their coach to UT after their run in the NCAA tourney. They just went and hired Wisconsin's top assistant coach. Which was smart because he recruits the same area that UW-Milwaukee does and is familiar with the players. SU needs to do the same thing. Get a coach from the South with good recruiting skills and obviously has learned in a good program. Just my 2 cents.

These coaches will learn when they come to SU, that it is Tuff on the Bluff. It aint for everyone.

Jag Voice said:
I don't think that's the case at all. I'm a Grant fan and thought he was doing a good job... but if a coach wants to leave after 2 years, I say good luck and move on. No one wants a coach at SU who doesn't want to be there. I will say the same thing about <font color=red><b><u>ANY coach at SU right now</u></b></font>.

I take it that you didn't approve Pete's stay? :uhoh: lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back