Grambling Football Tour To Hit Houston

THAMES

Hey bandfan,

I know you'll be looking forward to seeing Coach Spears and the G-Men on Tuesday. Don't start 'none' this year.(lol)

---------------------------------------

GSU goes solo across South in tradition of SWAC Tour
Selling Tiger football is main point of trips

By Nick Deriso

GRAMBLING ? Grambling State already has the busses warmed up.

Coach Melvin Spears and other members of the football and athletics staff continue a traveling tour of select cities this week in an outreach effort for fans.

"This is the first time we've done this, but it's not a new idea," Spears said. "The idea goes back to the old days of the traveling SWAC tour, where all of the coaches would go from town to town talking about their upcoming season. We've just reworked it so that it focuses on our team and our fans."

The Grambling tour hits Houston on Monday.......

Read the story...
http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050717/SPORTS/507170336/1006

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Coach Spears and Co. coming into hostile territory at Smitty's (3rd Ward) on Monday night. I'll be there.

C-LeB28 said:
Coach Spears and Co. coming into hostile territory at Smitty's (3rd Ward) on Monday night. I'll be there.

:lmao: It's not hostile when you've got the city on lock like Grambling has.

I think this is a great idea. Texas Southern should do something similar in Austin/San Antonio, Dallas and East Texas.

C-LeB28 said:
Got a point. :tup:

While Grambling is there...they need to get with TxSU and have a news conference to discuss the upcoming game. Don't know where it's being paid but we need to really pump this one back up. Regardless of record, this game needs to be in Reliant. I wouldn't mind if we adjust our schedule to make the next two in Houston for promo purposes.

I like the TxSU promo tour idea also. Good luck!

MikeBigg said:
While Grambling is there...they need to get with TxSU and have a news conference to discuss the upcoming game. Don't know where it's being paid but we need to really pump this one back up. Regardless of record, this game needs to be in Reliant. I wouldn't mind if we adjust our schedule to make the next two in Houston for promo purposes.

I like the TxSU promo tour idea also. Good luck!

2005 game will be played in Grambling. I never attended the Space City Classic but we sure could use that classic back here. I truly think we need a consistant successful seasons before this tour would become well attended. Case in point: 2005 version would not fair well with last year's record and the administration we have in place currently.

folks need to stop thinking Reliant is the place to be...$8 parking, horrible location of pressbox for meida..70,000 seats...$100K rent..

it's not the place to be

Good job Grambling. Keep up the good work. More SWAC schools or even the SWAC may want to consider doing or reviving this concept.

THAMES said:
Coach Melvin Spears and other members of the football and athletics staff continue a traveling tour of select cities this week in an outreach effort for fans.

"This is the first time we've done this, but it's not a new idea," Spears said. "The idea goes back to the old days of the traveling SWAC tour, where all of the coaches would go from town to town talking about their upcoming season. We've just reworked it so that it focuses on our team and our fans."

Is this something to be proud about? Having to travel across the nation to find some fans to support you?

It is called taking a pro-active approach. Surely you can see that. Spears is keeping the interest their in GSU athletics for fans and alumni.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Jafus (Thinker) said:
The Band Fan,

The $100K is without the "Big Screens" in service.

No disrespect to Reliant but :tdown:. That doesn't sound too favorable.

Rraaa, who's gonna' be there one mo' gin? I have a few questions I'd like answered while the're available. :) I can call'em in on the celly if you answer. :)

Blacknbengal said:
Is this something to be proud about? Having to travel across the nation to find some fans to support you?

Black it is called marketing your program. Grambling did not create this "tour" concept. SEC schools have their coaches do the same thing. Ole Miss had their new coach here in BR recently doing the same thing. The N.O. Saints even have a summer promo tour across the state and the Mississippi coast.

I've been trying to tell you all to keep your eyes on Spears. :lol: I think it is pitiful that the other coaches let this great part of SWAC history go. Our older/previous coaches simply new how to put on a show and generate excitement. Looks like the coaches that matriculated in the SWAC embrace this a little more and understand what our fans like. I remember Valley's coach Totem having his version in Baton Rouge last year.

Kewl Marketing scheme for the G-Men. This is one hell of a recruiting tool
Kudos :tophat: :tophat:

I was lucky enough to attend this event and it was a very solid event. The pull it together well. Kudos to all involved that made this event happen.

Let's all continue to push forward.

Yes, it was a great event despite the rain and time of the event the Grambling State Alumni Douglas L. Williams Chapter members know how to come out and support their own! :tup:

Bruce said he lost 38 pounds since last year.

JROCK said:
I've been trying to tell you all to keep your eyes on Spears. :lol: I think it is pitiful that the other coaches let this great part of SWAC history go. Our older/previous coaches simply new how to put on a show and generate excitement. Looks like the coaches that matriculated in the SWAC embrace this a little more and understand what our fans like. I remember Valley's coach Totem having his version in Baton Rouge last year.

Co-sign. Spears is handling his business. You let your fans know what is going on with your program. Handle your business, GSU!

:shh:
C-LeB28 said:
Yes, it was a great event despite the rain and time of the event the Grambling State Alumni Douglas L. Williams Chapter members know how to come out and support their own! :tup:

Bruce said he lost 38 pounds since last year.

The SWAC is in trouble :shh: What you talkin bout Cleb. :lmao:

BB said we had to do this to attract fans... What's wrong with that. We have a huge alumni base in Houston and it's important to stay connected. They Houston contingent supports home games and with our recruiting. Spears has signed some good recruits out of the Houston area and the fans have an interest in these guys. I like taking the show on the road, especially to the larger cities in the region that we recruit and play. Hopefully next year, we can include Baton Rouge on the Tour.

Even if the TxSU/ICON game doesn't become a Houston Classic, this game can develop into a sellout arrangement on both campuses. Currently, the ICON has home and home series with Alcorn, Jackson, UAPB and Bama State one year and TxSU, MSVU, A&M and (if negotiations go right) Northwestern in Shreveport each year. I would like to see the Northwestern game moved to the end of the season (week before Bayou Classic)... that would leave the 2nd week of Sept for a D1 matchup or a MEAC opponent in a Classic.

Back