Committee chair explains HBCU playoff snubs

No, we never did. When it started we had to choose between the Bayou classic and the playoff. Both started the same day. The swac chose the Bayou Classic.

Bruh stop! That's why these ninja still going around blaming the Bayou Classic for them not making the playoffs still today.

The playoffs had always started in late November or early December before they move it up.

We never had it simply because they didn't want to give us one.

Grambling went in 80, 85, and 89. I could be off a year or so but that's should be about right

Last edited:
Bruh stop! That's why these ninja still going around blaming the Bayou Classic for them not making the playoffs still today.

The playoffs had always started in late November or early December before they move it up.

Grambling went in 80, 85, and 89. I could be off a year or so but that's should be about right

I remember JSU going several times also. What I do remember is they would also always put a SWAC school on the road in some remote area and our fans would be pretty upset about that. They came up with some type of "Indian Treaty" to manipulate and justify who would play where. From the onset when the SWAC was much stronger than now they were conniving. After FAMU won that first one, the shenanigans were on......Now the power landscape is a little different IMHO so they finally got exactly what they wanted all along.....

I remember JSU going several times also. What I do remember is they would also always put a SWAC school on the road in some remote area and our fans would be pretty upset about that. They came up with some type of "Indian Treaty" to manipulate and justify who would play where. From the onset when the SWAC was much stronger than now they were conniving. After FAMU won that first one, the shenanigans were on......Now the power landscape is a little different IMHO so they finally got exactly what they wanted all along.....

EXACTLY! !!

If that Indian treaty was anything like the treaty for Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, which translate to "Fishing Place at the Boundaries -- Neutral Meeting Grounds" or "you fish on your side, I'll fish on my side, and no one fish in the middle'" we were definitely in trouble from the start. LOL!!!!

Correct years

80 we lost to Boise State 14-9 (one game before the National Championship) Boise state went on to win the national championship

85 we lost to Arkansas State 10-7

In 1989 Jackson and GSU went to playoff.
JSU lost 48-7 to Montana

GSU lost 56-59 to Stephen F. Austin. WE WERE F----ing CHEATED IN THAT GAME!!!!

@Dr. Phreeze
@Kenn Rashad

Correct years

80 we lost to Boise State 14-9 (one game before the National Championship) Boise state went on to win the national championship

JSU lost 48-7 to Montana

@Dr. Phreeze
@Kenn Rashad

And lemme guess ... NONE of these games were home games either.

After Famu won it was on like popcorn. Teams like Hampton started playing in north dakota and East Icleand and the most far off places on earf'!

Fugg dem playoffs!!!!!

Last edited:
Correct years

JSU lost 48-7 to Montana

@Dr. Phreeze
@Kenn Rashad

Fred Jones caught that damn ball in '89. :mad:

The reasoning sounds correct and I still dont get why people are upset.

Who cares?

These guys...

th

And his crew...

th

Remember when the 1-AA playoffs first started with just four teams, then expanded after that to something like 8 and the swac and Meac were getting as many as 2 teams in each year. It was not until more teams moved up to1AA that all the problems that we have now started. At one time it was the old Southland conference with LA Tech, Northeast La, McNeese, Ark. State, SW La, Big Sky, SWAC, MEAC, Youngstown State, Marshall running things.

Remember when the 1-AA playoffs first started with just four teams, then expanded after that to something like 8 and the swac and Meac were getting as many as 2 teams in each year. It was not until more teams moved up to1AA that all the problems that we have now started. At one time it was the old Southland conference with LA Tech, Northeast La, McNeese, Ark. State, SW La, Big Sky, SWAC, MEAC, Youngstown State, Marshall running things.

Ha! You had to have been on some super duper stuff. Because that happen about as many times as NEVER!

The meac rarely got in two teams after they negotiated an automatic bid. They sure as heck wasn't getting in two during their early years after just being classified as Division 1 in 1980.

They're not worried about the records. It's the conferences.

HBCU football is frowned upon by white folk. This ain't no revelation LOL
Not just that this celebration bowl has the potiential of being more succesful than the playoffs itself. Mark my words the other fcs confrences are watching. Those other confrences are pissed cause they dont have the ability to pull off what the hbcus and even the ivy league can do and they are mad.

Not just that this celebration bowl has the potiential of being more succesful than the playoffs itself. Mark my words the other fcs confrences are watching. Those other confrences are pissed cause they dont have the ability to pull off what the hbcus and even the ivy league can do and they are mad.

Trust me within the next 5 years they will either be another FCS bowl involving PWIs or the SCG and MCG (which will be created soon) runner ups.

In a nutshell! They do not respect HBCU Football! Period! They think of us a Jr. High School Football!

Why was this a big surprise? We have the SWAC Championship Game and Celebration Bowl in place. It was well-known fact that it would have been highly unlikely that a SWAC runner-up would have received a bid. Scheduling the Faith school and giving up 70 points to Grambling in a loss is why PV was left out. Had they scheduled and beat someone like McNeese, or Sam Houston, or Central Arkansas instead of Faith, then they would have had a legitimate gripe. Same thing with BCU, instead of scheduling Lane, they should have scheduled someone like The Citadel or Jacksonville State and beat them. Can't schedule those sub-D-1 schools and think it will be enough for you to get an at-large bid.

I am not surprised. I am not surprised at all. I wanted PV to be in the playoffs but did not think it would get an at-large bid.

Jackson State did host games against Boise St in 1981, Tennessee State in 1986 and Arkansas State in 1987

Correct me if I am wrong. MVSU lost at Louisiana Tech in Jerry Rice's last college game in Ruston. Then Louisiana went to to defeated Alcorn in Jackson.

I know that FAMU defeated Troy State in Tallahassee in 1998.

Look at my earlier comment about 1984. I cannot remember other years that two SWAC teams made the playoffs. I do remember some years during the 90s when the MEAC had two teams in the playoffs. Hampton and FAMU went in 1998 with the Rattlers winning against Troy State in 1998. FAMU lost in the semifinals to Jim Tressell and Youngstown State in 1999. A&T won at number one Tennessee State that same year. Yes, I know that the Tigers lost their quarterback a week before but will give the Aggies credit.

I am not surprised. I am not surprised at all. I wanted PV to be in the playoffs but did not think it would get an at-large bid.

Correct me if I am wrong. MVSU lost at Louisiana Tech in Jerry Rice's last college game in Ruston. Then Louisiana went to to defeated Alcorn in Jackson.

I know that FAMU defeated Troy State in Tallahassee in 1998.

Look at my earlier comment about 1984. I cannot remember other years that two SWAC teams made the playoffs. I do remember some years during the 90s when the MEAC had two teams in the playoffs. Hampton and FAMU went in 1998 with the Rattlers winning against Troy State in 1998. FAMU lost in the semifinals to Jim Tressell and Youngstown State in 1999. A&T won at number one Tennessee State that same year. Yes, I know that the Tigers lost their quarterback a week before but will give the Aggies credit.

You are correct. SWAC teams have participated in the I-AA playoffs several times and the results and the payouts weren't pretty.

Back