Carron J. Phillips doesn't want Hue Jackson near Morehouse football - (Exclusive)

Anytime we bring this up, the HBCU apologists come to their defense

$100 million would go a lot further at Valley, JSU, Grambling, PV, etc than at the usual 4 who all are over 50k a year

When a company says they're donating to the UNCF, that's for private HBCUs which includes those 4

Except, those schools commitment to academics is WHY they're getting those donations instead of the rest. Same reason the Ivy League generally rakes in more money than those in the SEC even though they don't care about athletics. That is exactly why academics is and will always be their focus.

As others have brought up, those big endowments are earmarked for academics not athletics

Morehouse, Howard and Hampton have shown their (lack of) commitment to athletics over the years so it makes what BCU was able to do in the MEAC more impressive and without the 50k tuition
The guys on HBCU Nightly have proudly proclaimed that those earmarks for Morehouse's endowment aren't nearly as stringent as they would be if they were a public school.

Not sure how truthful that is but we'll see.

" Broken mentalities " . May as well hired Hue , who Carron Phillips trashed for flaming out in previous jobs and Mathis was 7-25 at Pincecrest Academy HS. Mathis left Ga. & went all the way to New Mexico to avoid HBCU'S, but now he's back down here " slumming" with us because he'd never get an opportunity like this at a PWI. Charles Barkley has graciously given over $9 million dollars to public & private HBCU'S & asked for nothing in return. I'm not at war with these PWI athletes , but I just don't understand the mentality of turning over HC jobs to inexperienced ex athletes who thought Black schools were beneath them.

"Coach Mathis you didn't go to an HBCU & would have never dreamed of going to one , so why should my son come play for you?"
To be fair, some of the best HBCU Coaches of all time never played ball or attended an HBCU.

To be fair, some of the best HBCU Coaches of all time never played ball or attended an HBCU.
I've made the point with Barkley that I am not at complete war with PWI alumnus. I understand guys especially like Pete Richardson, Rudy Hubbard, L.C . Cole or others who did not grow up in the South & didn't understand HBCU culture, but made an impressive impact. Non of the 3 Grambling Football/ Basketball coaches attended HBCU'S & I am satisfied with them all so far( Joseph in theory since I have no clue what type of HC he is).

But just handing over jobs to guys , who barely respect HBCU'S , because they played in the NFL & you think it resonates with young recruits who have no clue who the hell Dishman or Mathis is absurd & near embarrassing.

That money is not designated for capitol improvements
This. Bill Cosby gave $20 million plus( they gave it back recently) , but it was earmarked for a Proferssership and not infrastructure. His daughters attended Spelman , but probably stayed off campus most of their enrollment.

Last edited:
I've made the point with Barkley that I am not at complete war with PWI alumnus. I understand guys especially like Pete Richardson, Rudy Hubbard, L.C . Cole or others who did not grow up in the South & didn't understand HBCU culture, but made an impressive impact. Non of the 3 Grambling Football/ Basketball coaches attended HBCU'S & I am satisfied with them all so far( Joseph in theory since I have no clue what type of HC he is).

But just handing over jobs to guys , who barely respect HBCU'S , because they played in the NFL & you think it resonates with young recruits who have no clue who the hell Dishman or Mathis is absurd & near embarrassing.
Don't forget Alabama State's current HC. He fits the mold of Dishman and Mathis. Perhaps at these institutions, they are looking for Head Coaches who can also be great fundraisers. They probably have to go out and use their networks to provide the funding needed to succeed that the school may not be readily to provide, regardless of endowment size.

This. Bill Cosby gave $20 million plus( they gave it back recently) , but it was earmarked for a Proferssership and not infrastructure. His daughters attended Spelman , but probably stayed off campus most of their enrollment.
His daughter was my sister roommate her freshman year on campus.

Seems to me that a couple of years ago some YT guy and other folks were praising Hue's hire.

Somebody help me out here...if Hue has the most experience, what made going with the less experienced guy the better option?

Don't forget Alabama State's current HC. He fits the mold of Dishman and Mathis. Perhaps at these institutions, they are looking for Head Coaches who can also be great fundraisers. They probably have to go out and use their networks to provide the funding needed to succeed that the school may not be readily to provide, regardless of endowment size.
How does Alabama State HC fit the mold of Dishman and Mathis when this man played at Alabama State, is an Alum of Alabama State and has been involved with Alabama State since he graduated? Dishman and Mathis have no HBCU background-if any it is very little.

How does Alabama State HC fit the mold of Dishman and Mathis when this man played at Alabama State, is an Alum of Alabama State and has been involved with Alabama State since he graduated? Dishman and Mathis have no HBCU background-if any it is very little.
That is a big differentiating factor. But he still played in the league and developed contacts and possible fundraising resources from his career outside of football, and seems to have been a positive factor in the community where his current employer resides.

It's not a negative thing and I hope you didn't take my opinion that way. It's an observation regarding the factors that led to Coach Robinson and the other two gentlemen being hired.

Not to mention, Coach Robinson seems to be doing a good job at ASU so there seems to be a recent precedence of positivity for these kinds of hires.

" Broken mentalities " . May as well hired Hue , who Carron Phillips trashed for flaming out in previous jobs and Mathis was 7-25 at Pincecrest Academy HS. Mathis left Ga. & went all the way to New Mexico to avoid HBCU'S, but now he's back down here " slumming" with us because he'd never get an opportunity like this at a PWI. Charles Barkley has graciously given over $9 million dollars to public & private HBCU'S & asked for nothing in return. I'm not at war with these PWI athletes , but I just don't understand the mentality of turning over HC jobs to inexperienced ex athletes who thought Black schools were beneath them.

"Coach Mathis you didn't go to an HBCU & would have never dreamed of going to one , so why should my son come play for you?"

2 words

Deion Sanders

Seems to me that a couple of years ago some YT guy and other folks were praising Hue's hire.

Somebody help me out here...if Hue has the most experience, what made going with the less experienced guy the better option?

Because they can pay him and he won't require Morehouse to do anything above and beyond

Mathis was an assistant at Savannah State

That is a big differentiating factor. But he still played in the league and developed contacts and possible fundraising resources from his career outside of football, and seems to have been a positive factor in the community where his current employer resides.

It's not a negative thing and I hope you didn't take my opinion that way. It's an observation regarding the factors that led to Coach Robinson and the other two gentlemen being hired.

Not to mention, Coach Robinson seems to be doing a good job at ASU so there seems to be a recent precedence of positivity for these kinds of hires.

Robinson had little coaching experience if any - but his success as a player and like he said some contacts and persona; relationship with decision makers moved him up the food chain at Bama State - same with Reggie Barlow as he wasn't coaching long before they made him head coach but he had pro success - if TJack was there he would be head coach

"Broken mentalities". Some will bend over & nearly break their backs trying to defend the hiring of ex NFL players that dont care about nor would never dream of attending an HBCU, but now they are "slumming" & getting coaching jobs most PWI's would never give them. I was once a proponent of hiring ex stars going back to Kareem in the mid 90's nearly begging for a Coaching job & I thought an HBCU would be a great fit for Jabbar or other superstars...but now I have serious doubts about this .

I've completely soured on this superstar route , but I would listen to Rice , Strahan ( too successful to coach) or other players who genuinely care about HBCU'S & have actually been through the fire .

Back