Carron J. Phillips doesn't want Hue Jackson near Morehouse football - (Exclusive)

I dont think yall realize that Morehouse didnt even have a recruiting budget this past year or a strength and conditioning program. The coach who was fired told ALL their internal business.
Wouldn't the money that would be spent for a transition to the MEAC be better used to give their current D2 student-athletes a better experience and smaller tuition and fees bill?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
All these celebrities and “philanthropists” act like Morehouse, Spelman & Howard are the only HBCUs because they stay getting them big donations. No sympathy for the state of their facilities.

3b0c2ef9-1b3c-482f-bf53-159d052547aa_text.gif

That's why I said it doesn't make a lot of sense. Their focus is academics, scholarships and prestige... which is probably part of the reason Howard isn't a ton different. It was a super culture shock for me when I pulled up and checked into my dorm and then went to check out the "facilities." The gym was...and the stadium wasn't any better. I went to a few games and the only two people really showed up for were Hampton and Homecoming. And even with the Hampton game, it still wasn't full in that small stadium.

And in general, the folks on the campus couldn't have cared less that a game was going on nor could the locals. Having been used to games in the south, the atmosphere was dry as HELL. One thing I noticed was, in general, black folks in DC don't really have much of a relationship with Howard aside from the alums and on Homecoming. Them and Morehouse/CAU could probably be top notch when it comes to BCF if they really wanted to... problem is, that will never be either of their focus.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Why folks keep talking about endowments like they're a checking or savings account?

Alladat money is earmarked by the people who is giving the school money.
I dont see why people dont understand this! Hell just look at Morehouse and Spelman campus and you will see “all that money” aint going to infrastructure ! They got them kids living like slaves in them dorms.

Albany State is the ONLY Georgia school that should even think about moving up…. Problem is their location brings nothing to either SWAC or MEAC.
They would bring something to the SWAC.
Their location is not bad as realized with Alabama and Florida schools. Their size is larger than four SWAC schools. Albany States facilities are decent. Of course we would want a move in partner.

I dont see why people dont understand this! Hell just look at Morehouse and Spelman campus and you will see “all that money” aint going to infrastructure ! They got them kids living like slaves in them dorms.

I said "all that money?" on my senior trip in high school to the AUC ... then later on spring break visiting the homie while I was in grad school (after the Olympics helped build up some stuff over there) ... New Res was nice when I crashed ... but that was like 2001 LOL

All these celebrities and “philanthropists” act like Morehouse, Spelman & Howard are the only HBCUs because they stay getting them big donations. No sympathy for the state of their facilities.

3b0c2ef9-1b3c-482f-bf53-159d052547aa_text.gif

Anytime we bring this up, the HBCU apologists come to their defense

$100 million would go a lot further at Valley, JSU, Grambling, PV, etc than at the usual 4 who all are over 50k a year

When a company says they're donating to the UNCF, that's for private HBCUs which includes those 4

As others have brought up, those big endowments are earmarked for academics not athletics

Morehouse, Howard and Hampton have shown their (lack of) commitment to athletics over the years so it makes what BCU was able to do in the MEAC more impressive and without the 50k tuition

As others have brought up, those big endowments are earmarked for academics not athletics

Morehouse, Howard and Hampton have shown their (lack of) commitment to athletics over the years so it makes what BCU was able to do in the MEAC more impressive and without the 50k tuition
you are correct, as just because a school are good financially does not necessary mean they are supporting athletics where it should be. Maybe Morehouse should work on funding all sports scholarships at a D2 level for a few years before looking to move up. I believe Virginia State is on that path and JMU did this on the FCS level before moving up to FBS.

WSSU did not and they ended up right back in D2. Spent all that money to accomplish nothing and incurred unnecessary debt. I have to give the SWAC Office credit is that they at least looks at schools financials before approving a new school to come in, the MEAC will let schools in with out any financial vetting and then get surprise when a school has to go back down. WSSU hosted the MEAC champion and I want to say the next day WSSU made the announcement that they was going back to D2 (MEAC leadership and office was shocked).

" Broken mentalities " . May as well hired Hue , who Carron Phillips trashed for flaming out in previous jobs and Mathis was 7-25 at Pincecrest Academy HS. Mathis left Ga. & went all the way to New Mexico to avoid HBCU'S, but now he's back down here " slumming" with us because he'd never get an opportunity like this at a PWI. Charles Barkley has graciously given over $9 million dollars to public & private HBCU'S & asked for nothing in return. I'm not at war with these PWI athletes , but I just don't understand the mentality of turning over HC jobs to inexperienced ex athletes who thought Black schools were beneath them.

"Coach Mathis you didn't go to an HBCU & would have never dreamed of going to one , so why should my son come play for you?"

Back