Carron J. Phillips doesn't want Hue Jackson near Morehouse football - (Exclusive)

Good interview and he made a bunch of really good well thought out points. I agree with him that Hue Jackson wouldn't be a good hire. What stood out to me the most is that Morehouse is considering joining the MEAC.

Good interview and he made a bunch of really good well thought out points. I agree with him that Hue Jackson wouldn't be a good hire. What stood out to me the most is that Morehouse is considering joining the MEAC.
I would of thought that they would support athletics better before even thinking about making that move, as from my understanding Benedict College is the only SIAC school that supports football with the full amount of scholarships. It make season to join the MEAC if the move up because of the smaller number of schools that have to split the conference payout with.

I wonder what they are going to do about baseball since the MEAC does not support baseball, maybe the SWAC will let them in as associate member for baseball and sports that the MEAC falls short in.

Atlanta having a MEAC school would be great. Morehouse could play A&M and Bama St and sell out for OOC games. A&M and Morehouse used to sell out in Football and Basketball in our SIAC years

Hue Jackson is coming off a 5-6 season, but was one play away from being 8-3. Morehouse, (who is coming off back to back 1-9 seasons), is a lower tier SIAC program that could use a former FCS and NFL Head Coach with a big enough name to bring their program some much needed attention.

At a program like Morehouse, Hue would definitely bring in a few FCS brainiac transfers who can easily become a game changers in their division, and he would also land some non NFL bound FBS grad transfers who are looking to shine one more time on the field while continuing their studies.

The bar at Morehouse isn’t very high, and Hue has been around the game long enough to win 5+ wins consistently at that level. Morehouse is missing out of an splash hire for their conference. Hue is a big enough attention whore/business man to go all out to get them prepared to compete in the MEAC if moving up is really in their plans. Morehouse would fare better than Winston-Salem and Savannah State in the MEAC if Hue led the charge.

Last edited:
Sooooooo ....

Morehouse can get a Title IX waiver from the NCAA? McClelland said that was an obstacle for them

Even if they do join, they still won't put the amount of money in athletics that it would take to actually be successful. Hell their last coach complained about the lack of resources and support and that's on the D2 level. They will never commit to athletics being a priority.
Morehouse is headed in that direction. I feel like it can be done, they got the money. Morehouse is in the middle of a $250 million campaign and some of that money will go towards upgrading athletics. Morehouse like so many other HBCUs are really trying to level up

Morehouse is headed in that direction. I feel like it can be done, they got the money. Morehouse is in the middle of a $250 million campaign and some of that money will go towards upgrading athletics. Morehouse like so many other HBCUs are really trying to level up
Spelman has raised more than any HBCU and they still dropped athletics altogether. I'll believe it when I see it.

What does that mean?
A couple of years ago (after FAMU and Bethune came in) McClelland was asked about expansion and Morehouse's name came up. McClelland said that Morehouse's status as an all-male college would mean they would need a Title IX waiver from the NCAA in order to move up to Division I

@TvSportsGuy21 can you correct me on this if my memory is incorrect?

That money aint going to nothing but scholarships….. Morehouse dont care about NOTHING else. Valley got better facilities than Morehouse does… their campus looks horrible for their prestige.

That money aint going to nothing but scholarships….. Morehouse dont care about NOTHING else. Valley got better facilities than Morehouse does… their campus looks horrible for their prestige.
Spelman is about the same. Those freshman girl dorms still don't even have A/C.

A couple of years ago (after FAMU and Bethune came in) McClelland was asked about expansion and Morehouse's name came up. McClelland said that Morehouse's status as an all-male college would mean they would need a Title IX waiver from the NCAA in order to move up to Division I

I thought about that first issue when read line about Morehouse and MEAC. I was thinking, since when did Morehouse have women teams or women for that matter.

I thought about that first issue when read line about Morehouse and MEAC. I was thinking, since when did Morehouse have women teams or women for that matter.
It would've worked better if Spelman had intercollegiate sports, although McClelland's explanation would impact them too.

I'm guessing SpelHouse could've came in ... for basketball purposes they would've been treated as one for scheduling purposes **shoulder shrug**

Morehouse's name did come up in several conversations when it came to conference expansion following FAMU & Bethune Cookman. Apparently, Morehouse would be okay if they move up to Division 1/FCS. They would just need a few other signatures and a certain amount of scholarships to meet the Title 9 structure from the all-male perspective since they don't have women's sports.

Right now, they are doing the same thing on the D2 level. the concern I have with Morehouse moving up with be the commitment to upgrading facilities.

Last edited:
The schools. They make more than enough money to be able to improve that campus...ESPECIALLY Spelman. A degree from there costs 200K and they constantly get big donations, the one they just got for 100 mil being the latest. You're not gonna tell me you can't put air conditioning in the dorms. Now as far as Morehouse athetics, the fact that they spend so little and have never really shown any interest in really being competitive is part of what I question about the move to begin with.

They would need to spend a huge amount of money to get their facilities right. Like for example, having to add another side to their stadium. Or renovating their gym. Then adding scholarships, sports, coaches, programs (they have no strength and conditioning program nor a recruiting budget) and having to convince alums that don't care anything about sports to give money. For me, knowing that they put all of their resources into their academics, I just see it as something that will always be on the back burner. Those presidents sole jobs are to keep that money rolling in and to keep the school's prestige up. They'd probably be like the HBCU version of one of the small Ivy League teams.

The schools. They make more than enough money to be able to improve that campus...ESPECIALLY Spelman. A degree from there costs 200K and they constantly get big donations, the one they just got for 100 mil being the latest. You're not gonna tell me you can't put air conditioning in the dorms. Now as far as Morehouse athetics, the fact that they spend so little and have never really shown any interest in really being competitive is part of what I question about the move to begin with.

They would need to spend a huge amount of money to get their facilities right. Like for example, having to add another side to their stadium. Or renovating their gym. Then adding scholarships, sports, coaches, programs (they have no strength and conditioning program nor a recruiting budget) and having to convince alums that don't care anything about sports to give money. For me, knowing that they put all of their resources into their academics, I just see it as something that will always be on the back burner. Those presidents sole jobs are to keep that money rolling in and to keep the school's prestige up. They'd probably be like the HBCU version of one of the small Ivy League teams.
I dont think Spelman even has a reason to add sports at this point.

Atlanta having a MEAC school would be great. Morehouse could play A&M and Bama St and sell out for OOC games. A&M and Morehouse used to sell out in Football and Basketball in our SIAC years
would add another old SIAC rival game like Miles Tuskegee Clark-Atl etc...would feel like the old days prior to 1998

Back