Bush, Leinart, or Young. Who really is the best NFL prospect?

Mr. Tiger

Mr. T
I was waiting for the Rose Bowl to voice my thoughts on Reggie Bush and here it is. He would not be my Number 1 pick in the NFL Draft if I am Houston. He is overrated as an NFL prospect. I can't see him as an every down running back in the NFL because of his size and build. Very few running backs his size have had long and productive NFL careers. They simply can't run in between the tackles 20 to 25 times a game and stay healthy. I felt this way about Bush before the National Championship and Texas convinced me last night. Bush has to get the corner to be effective and he won't get that corner in the NFL. As for Leinart, he is accurate but his arm strength is questionable. There were several balls last night that could have been picked off by Texas. On the other hand, Young has impressed me all season. He can run almost as good as Michael Vick and can pass better than Vick on the college level. His delivery is getting quicker and he is a leader. Leinart looked a bit unsure of himself this year, but Young didn't. In the end, I believe Young is the best NFL prospect if he decides to come out. Anyone thinking Bush is a complete player should watch an entire USC game and ditch those ESPN highlights. There is a reason why White plays a lot and it's not to keep Bush fresh. :ebrow:

You make a very valid point and I too have been checking out Reggie Bush and his success or lack there of. He is a good running back but he can't carry the load in the NFL. He wasn't even the leading rusher for USC last night.

VY should stay @ UT another year to get the Heisman!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Q-Funk said:
You make a very valid point and I too have been checking out Reggie Bush and his success or lack there of. He is a good running back but he can't carry the load in the NFL. He wasn't even the leading rusher for USC last night.

Can you say Lendale White? Without HIM, the Trojans lose by two touchdowns.

AAMU Alum said:
Can you say Lendale White? Without HIM, the Trojans lose by two touchdowns.

Yes, that's my pick too. I would rate them like this when it comes to the NFL.

Lendale
Vince
Lienart
Bush

Q-Funk said:

Fugg a Heisman!!!

He's National Champion. His stock can get no higher. He might blow out a Knee or break an arm. Bump that!!!!! Go to the League and get paid Vince. College is cool and all, but you have proved your point....YOU ARE THE BEST.

The Heisman commitee was wrong. end of story.

GET PAID!!!!!

People always say a back like Bush can't run in the NFL full time but look at Marshall Faulk and Warrick Dunn. I am not saying Bush should be #1 but I think he WILL be effective and successful. Lendale White will be more effective, though.

People also forget that Reggie Bush is 6 feet tall and a solid 200 pounds. He can add 10 more pounds and still retain his speed and quickness. He's bigger and 5 times better than Marshall Faulk and Clinton Portis were coming out of college. Unless you just have to take a QB, he's still the number 1 pick by far.

Having said that, the Texans would have to look long and hard at Vince Young if he comes out. Its not often u can grab the hometown hero with the first pick.

Q-Funk said:
You joking right? Run Vince Run...Straight to the NFL, you got nothing else to prove.

the best Pro of that list is Lienart
The best pro on the field last night was White.

Get Ready said:
You joking right? Run Vince Run...Straight to the NFL, you got nothing else to prove.

the best Pro of that list is Lienart
The best pro on the field last night was White.

Thank you.
Fugg a Heisman.

JSU/99 said:
People also forget that Reggie Bush is 6 feet tall and a solid 200 pounds. He can add 10 more pounds and still retain his speed and quickness. He's bigger and 5 times better than Marshall Faulk and Clinton Portis were coming out of college. Unless you just have to take a QB, he's still the number 1 pick by far.

Having said that, the Texans would have to look long and hard at Vince Young if he comes out. Its not often u can grab the hometown hero with the first pick.

Faulk and Portis run hard and in between the tackles. They can also break tackles on occasion. I just haven't seen that from Bush. Faulk and Portis are the exception when it comes to smaller running backs, not the rule. I just don't see Houston with all of its needs selecting a guy who needs to add pounds to carry the load behind an offensive line with as many holes as my father's underware. :scared:

jag4life said:
You haven't seen Bush break tackles? Did you watch ANY of the games other than last night?

lol

White had a good night but it was more because of that offensive line and those full backs. Besides the one run where he stiff armed that texas player, most of carries he was 5 yards down the field before anyone touched him because the holes were that big. Most of Bush's runs were designed to go to the outside. Let's not forget he also had 80something receiving yards. Bush didnt have a spectactular night but he didnt have a bad one either. I personally don't think he touched the ball enough but I've thought that everytime I've seen USC play this year. I know that 4th and 2 play was their bread and butter and you go with what got you there but it was a play to seal history and I would not have had my best player on the bench.

SONNY said:
Fugg a Heisman!!!

He's National Champion. His stock can get no higher. He might blow out a Knee or break an arm. Bump that!!!!! Go to the League and get paid Vince. College is cool and all, but you have proved your point....YOU ARE THE BEST.

The Heisman commitee was wrong. end of story.

GET PAID!!!!!

FOR REAL............he needs to strike while the iron is HOT!! You see how Linhert's stock has fallen.

TAKE THE M-O-N-E-Y AND RUNNNN TO THE NFL VINCE!!!

Fugg a Heisman!!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
jag4life said:
You haven't seen Bush break tackles? Did you watch ANY of the games other than last night?

Yes, I have. And when I say breaking tackles I don't mean making people miss in the open field. I am talking about putting your head down and driving a linebacker 2 to 3 yards and having to be tackled by a second defender. I have seen Portis and Faulk do it. Smaller backs have to have that kind of power to make it in the NFL because every team has the speed of a Texas in the pros. I watched Bush three to four times this year and some in the past and I have seen that from him.

Man who other than Ricky Williams is/was running over linebackers in the NFL and driving them 2-3 yards down the field?

Plus, Bush had many times when he broke more than just arm tackles.

As far as Bush's size is concerned, Gale Sayers was an undersized guy too. But I'll bet the Bears wouldn't have traded him away even if they knew he'd only play for 9 yrs.

If a team wants to win now and doesn't have all of the pieces in place then you take Young. you don't have to develop as a QB to run the ball (plus he's pretty accurate throwing).

If you need a qb to get you over the hump and you have the other pieces in place, then you take Leinart. He'll have a shorter learning curve than Vince interms of understanding defenses.

White is good but he's a "grind-it-out" sort of back. I wouldn't take him too high. Plus he has some character issues that might be of concern.

Bush is a rare talent but he bounces the ball outside too much. That didn't work against TX and it definitely won't work in the NFL. If he can run between the tackles he will be a superstar.

Ranking:
Vince
Bush
Leinart
White

The plays outside were DESIGNED to go outside for Bush. That was the PLAY. The only play he bounced outside after staring inside wa the TD run.

I think Vince should stay at UT. It seems like the NFL thinks he's not good in the pocket - which is why he scrambles. They think black quarterbacks are good scramblers but not good field leaders. Obviously, I disagree. I think the boy is AWESOME. But I think since some of them have that mindset - even with some thinking he should be a wideout - he could benefit with one more year under his belt. Plus, as an educator, I'm all about getting that degree and not waiting some years later to do it. But now, what I really wish is if they would fire David Carr and put Vince in that job. But I think that's wishful thinking at best.

Man, Vince can go pro if he wants....I'll say this though:

He ain't gonna see any NFL Defense playing 7 DB "speed" pacakges trying to stop his arse...*smh*

He meets an NFL linebacker and he's gonna get real aquainted with reading defenses and refining his mechanics real quick...

That being said, he's definitely got the athletic tools and the leadership to play the position. the question is going to be whether or not he can master the cerebral side of playing the position in the NFL...

I think he can, but Leinart is way ahead of him in that category...

As far as Bush goes, He may not have the "size" of a prototypical NFL back, but you can't teach what he can do with the ball in his hands...

His versitility is going to be what makes him valuable. Take a look at Brian Westbrook in Philly...

He can catch the ball just as effectively as he can run it and he isn't half the offensive threat that Bush is or can be.

you're going to be able to put Reggie in the slot and create mis-matches against defenses...that's what offensive coordinators want.

uapbpower said:
MICKEY DEAN-Arkanas-PINE BLUFF

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
I think your credibility has been shot to hell enough times now, when it comes to football. Don't take this the wrong way, but... :shh:

Back