Bulldogs are right, they deserve a real dance card

MACHIAVELLI

Chairman/C.E.O.
Alabama A&M won't get to drink. The Bulldogs lost 79-69 to Oakland on Tuesday night in the play-in game, the NCAA's worst idea since the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl.

Alabama A&M deserved to be in the NCAA Tournament -- the real one, not this condescending abomination -- because it won the SWAC Tournament. An automatic bid for every conference champion makes college basketball the best sport in the world. It's college basketball's annual version of Hoosiers. Everyone has a chance. (Everyone but Division I's eight independents, but that's another story.)

But Alabama A&M won't get that chance. And Alabama A&M's not happy about it.

"This was a bust for us," said Alabama A&M's Obie Trotter.

"We shouldn't have been here, man," said Alabama A&M guard Rickey Ricketts. "We should have been in the big tournament."

The big tournament. The real thing, not this Putt-Putt version.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8295594

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
MACHIAVELLI said:
Alabama A&M won't get to drink. The Bulldogs lost 79-69 to Oakland on Tuesday night in the play-in game, the NCAA's worst idea since the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl.

Alabama A&M deserved to be in the NCAA Tournament -- the real one, not this condescending abomination -- because it won the SWAC Tournament. An automatic bid for every conference champion makes college basketball the best sport in the world. It's college basketball's annual version of Hoosiers. Everyone has a chance. (Everyone but Division I's eight independents, but that's another story.)

But Alabama A&M won't get that chance. And Alabama A&M's not happy about it.

"This was a bust for us," said Alabama A&M's Obie Trotter.

"We shouldn't have been here, man," said Alabama A&M guard Rickey Ricketts. "We should have been in the big tournament."

The big tournament. The real thing, not this Putt-Putt version.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8295594

After seeing for myself what is going on with this Play-in game it is not going away very soon. This game is completely justified in everyone mind except the conference who has to play in it. The hype in Dayton is unreal and even a lot of big time folks attend this game because it is the tip off of the NCAA Tournament to the fact that it out weighs the point of view that one HBCU lost its automatic bid to the big dance. We should be fighting to get back our automatic bid and the NCAA come up with another formula to get a team in. Maybe they should rotate the playin game between all conferences with automatic bids.

If you can't even win the play-in game how can you rightfully justify being in the Big Dance.

Storm96 said:
If you can't even win the play-in game how can you rightfully justify being in the Big Dance.

The play-in game is not about justifying your right to be in the big dance. When you win your conference or tournament justifies the right.

Storm96 said:

I was gonna respond to this crap, but why waste my time. I don't think you realize how stupid this statement was.

I guess it's our fault alone that we had to play in the Play-in game, too?

Mike said:
I was gonna respond to this crap, but why waste my time. I don't think you realize how stupid this statement was.

I guess it's our fault alone that we had to play in the Play-in game, too?

Actually, I never even mentioned A&M so stop jumping to conclusions. As it stands now, the play-in game is a part of NCAA basketball. You know what's at stake. If you don't win then crying foul about how you should be playing the #1 seed is pointless IMO. That might not be the intent of that article but seeing as how Oakland also won its conference, that article could've been written a long time ago. Was A&M used as the subject of that article for sensationalism? Perhaps. Mightydog, gave a more intelligent response to my question and he has made a profound point. Conference champs should be in the tourny. But where does it stop? Can schools like North Texas lobby for inclusion in a bcs bowl next season if they win conference again? The play in game is just a small part of a much bigger problem within college athletics.

Believe it or not the play-in game has alot advantages....nationwide, uninterupted coverage. In that regard, the exposure A&M received is priceless.

MACHIAVELLI said:

:smh: This is a disgrace. I guess I lied about that dunk being the most embarrassing thing coming from that game. This is the most embarrassing thing coming from that game. First you get beat down by a 12-18 crappy team and now you wanna cry about you shouldnt had to play that game. All other teams before them played the play-in game and either won or lost like men. Now they come here saying that they should have been giving a pass straight to the Big Dance. That is just plain sad.

Jafus did a great job of explaining why we have the play-in on another thread. And as MD alluded to, the Dayton area always does a good job of supporting the game, they get a nice turnout every year. The problem isn't the play-in game, it's becoming good enough to avoid the play-in game. But in the end it seems like a lot of crying over spilled milk, if A & M had won on Tuesday you wouldn't be seeing any of those comments from the players.

JaguarNation99 said:
if A & M had won on Tuesday you wouldn't be seeing any of those comments from the players.

thats a lie.... they were saying that BEFORE they even played the game. Pettaway was talking about it many times on his weekly basketball show. The team was upset when they found out they had to play in the play in game.

Its obvious that A&M spent too much time running their mouths instead of preparing for this game. They were no match for a team that only won 40% of their games in a bad conference.

What was your team spending its time doing before losing to AAMU? Why didn't you post this much last week? Where were you?

DAHILL said:
they were saying that BEFORE they even played the game. Pettaway was talking about it many times on his weekly basketball show. The team was upset when they found out they had to play in the play in game.
And that is why they got drugged by a bunch of scrubs.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
AAMU got just what they deserved....face it...most teams in the SWAC were just as good as AAMU. If they deserved to be in the field of 64, all they had to was win Tuesday. What am I missing?

Again, we have gone from almost upsetting #1 and #2 seeds, winning first round NIT and NCAA games to getting BLOWN out in a play-in game.

AAMU would have a gripe if they were even competitive in the play-in game. But as many have said, the fact that AAMU represented us is a sign. Things need to change or we need to go D2.

DAHILL said:
thats a lie.... they were saying that BEFORE they even played the game. Pettaway was talking about it many times on his weekly basketball show. The team was upset when they found out they had to play in the play in game.

Well if they were upset, it shouldn't have come as that much of a surprize. We're the lowest rated conference in the country, and A & M wasn't even the highest rated team in the conference according to the RPI. And again, the issue is not the play-in game, it's a matter of our teams getting better so we avoid the play-in game.

IMO, if there just have to be a play-in game, it should be between the two bottom seeded at-large teams, having to play their way in to the tournament. Conference winners shouldn't be subjected to this.

Tigerpride said:
AAMU got just what they deserved....face it...most teams in the SWAC were just as good as AAMU.

Yours wasn't.

As far as what you're missing...that's another post for another time on another board.

mighty hornet said:
IMO, if there just have to be a play-in game, it should be between the two bottom seeded at-large teams, having to play their way in to the tournament. Conference winners shouldn't be subjected to this.

The writer of the story was saying the same thing.

Actually, getting into the play-in game should be considered an honor. The play-in game gets more respect than the first round of the NIT. We all know that the first round of the NIT still has some of the elite teams in there (Michigan, Muzzu, etc.) and yet Oakland and AAMU gets more air play.

After that performance, this is the only type dancing A&M and the SWAC deserves....
PascalHulin03.jpg

We can not complain....we cant complain at all....sorry...GR cant cosign this at all. Win some games, get some respect and you wont have to play the play in game.

Back