Baseball and Basketball Championship

Mr. Tiger said:
The stadium is the home of the Double A Mississippi Braves. The attendance could be pretty nice because it is a great place to watch a game. Not a bad seat in the house. It was built for the Braves who have been in Pearl for only a year. And it is only a few miles from downtown Jackson. I think it was an excellent decision to move the game there.

As aggresive as that brother is that handles promotions and event's for that place, look for this tournament to be here for a while. He is the same guy that owned the promotions company that used to handle the promotion's for the Jackson Senators. They let him go and the commitee that brought the Braves to Pearl bought him and his company in from the beginning.:nod:

It is a very nice place, 5 minutes from downtown Jackson, plenty of restaurants, shopping, etc............:nod:

WOuldnt matter where it was held... this is BASEBALL we are talking about.... most people just dont get up for baseball like other sports.

Man with that tournament being in PEARL, there will be plenty of people there..........white and black.

Not saying it's going to be a sell-out, but with it being in Pearl, people that normally would not come to a JSU game in WEST Jackson, :winkgrin: , would not think twice about going to this place.

Extra butt's in the seats is extra dollars we would not have. And we get a first class PRO facility to play the tournament in.:nod:

I don't wanna sound crass, because I want SWAC baseball to succeed. But in all honesty, even in the central location, I don't think you will get much more than what was averaged at the last few tourneys. I applaud the move to a more central location, but, as much as it pains me, this is SWAC baseball we are talking about. And if they run it like the tourney in B'ham last year, no money will be made.

staggalee83 said:
As aggresive as that brother is that handles promotions and event's for that place, look for this tournament to be here for a while. He is the same guy that owned the promotions company that used to handle the promotion's for the Jackson Senators. They let him go and the commitee that brought the Braves to Pearl bought him and his company in from the beginning.:nod:

It is a very nice place, 5 minutes from downtown Jackson, plenty of restaurants, shopping, etc............:nod:
Hope so,,,cause it sounds good to me....:nod:....I will be there if its AAMU vs any west team....

staggalee83 said:
Man with that tournament being in PEARL, there will be plenty of people there..........white and black.

Not saying it's going to be a sell-out, but with it being in Pearl, people that normally would not come to a JSU game in WEST Jackson, :winkgrin: , would not think twice about going to this place.

Extra butt's in the seats is extra dollars we would not have. And we get a first class PRO facility to play the tournament in.:nod:

I totally agree. The SWAC couldn't have picked a better stadium. The location is excellent and there are some people who aren't even fans of the SWAC or Jackson State who would come just because a game is there. The stadium is an attraction itself that's why it's a great choice.

Mr. Tiger said:
I totally agree. The SWAC couldn't have picked a better stadium. The location is excellent and there are some people who aren't even fans of the SWAC or Jackson State who would come just because a game is there. The stadium is an attraction itself that's why it's a great choice.

I'm not taking anything away from the stadium, because I have never seen it or been there. But that was the same thing the SWAC said last year about the 'nostalgic' stadium they used in B-ham last year.

I wish it all the best, and will support as much as I can. But I'll believe the hype when I see it translate into butts in the seat for SWAC baseball.

s phi s said:
I'm not taking anything away from the stadium, because I have never seen it or been there. But that was the same thing the SWAC said last year about the 'nostalgic' stadium they used in B-ham last year.

People are sick of it.:nod:

Just like with any other city the SWAC plays sports in, if you overuse it, people get bored with it.

Change it up, mix it up, new views, new thing to do. :nod:

Besides, B-Ham is too SEC CRAZY to really support the SWAC.................and ya'll know it.:nod:
Please, don't kick me in the arse......................IT's just an observation.:goof:

staggalee83 said:
People are sick of it.:nod:

Just like with any other city the SWAC plays sports in, if you overuse it, people get bored with it.

Change it up, mix it up, new views, new thing to do. :nod:

Besides, B-Ham is too SEC CRAZY to really support the SWAC.................and ya'll know it.:nod:
Please, don't kick me in the arse......................IT's just an observation.:goof:

its SWAC baseball.... if it only had 1,000 people ON CAMPUS at SU (a traditional baseball school) then it aint going to do good nowhere else. It was a nice stadium in Houston also and it didnt do well.... Baseball is just a sport not many of "US" care about anymore.

OK ....................so the he!! with trying.:smh:

Let's just save money, cut everything except FOOTBALL, drop to non-scholarship D3, and fix our campuses up.:smh:

Why try if getting negros interested or in the seats is hopeless.:smh:

J4l, I agree. 1,000 is a great crowd. If you can average that for a tournament and have good play from the teams involved, it would be a great start. But if you don't have competitive teams playing, I don't care WHERE you play, there won't be anybody there. The WEST has now turned into a 3 dog fight. The East.....well......it's the East...:shrug:

I'm all for trying, but I'm also convinced that SWAC baseball, which is comparatively an ignored sport, coupled with the SWAC administration running the tourney and it's marketing, is not as successful venture (pronounced PROFITABLE) as it should be.

staggalee83 said:
OK ....................so the he!! with trying.:smh:

Let's just save money, cut everything except FOOTBALL, drop to non-scholarship D3, and fix our campuses up.:smh:

Why try if getting negros interested or in the seats is hopeless.:smh:
:lmao: This game is not for everyone...:lmao:

The Tournament will do MUCH better (attendence wise) this year in Jackson. Somebody said early on that the game would be at Trustmark..... I can't remember who it was. *snicker*. lol. It will be leaps and bounds better than that specticle of a tourney we had last year.

JSU Fans,
We will also play a few home games at Trustmark this seson. They aren't FINAL as of right now, but I think there will be a total of 4 JSU home games played at the TP.

SU, MVSU, ALCORN and one other... don't hold me to those.

SWAC baseball is exciting..........S.U., PV, MVSU & TXSU has had some exceptional runs the last few years.....

No baseball is exciting lol (didnt say SWAC didnt have good teams).... but the sport as a whole is boring.

I would rather watch volleyball

Those who see baseball as boring really don't watch it or don't know the game well enough to know all that is going on during the game. They are probably the same type of people that don't like the NBA finals having teams like Detroit, San Antonio, New Jersey, etc... playing in it (saying it is boring and slow and not appreciating all of the defense). And that is all cool... If I can go and see SU play, I'll be there. I just knew I would get to Houston to see SU play baseball and softball, but it just didn't work out for me (scheduling). In fact, I think my son was in his own tournament during the SWAC tournament. Plus, I think I recall it rained in Houston that week, so that probably impact their attendance also. To be honest, I think we have to keep the SWAC tournament near one or more of schools to make it convenient for some students, because it is true that the interest in baseball in our homes has dropped off in a major way since the '70's and '80's. I am glad it will be played in a very nice stadium. I will again hope our schedule allows us to go to see the tournament. I don't need an excuse to go home to the "SIP"...

Peace...

DAHILL said:
No baseball is exciting lol (didnt say SWAC didnt have good teams).... but the sport as a whole is boring.

I would rather watch volleyball
You need to catch an SU game. In fact when we play LSU @ Lee Hines(SU home field) if you are not there early(1:30 before first pitch) you won't get a seat. The band comes out , fans tailgate and everything. You would swear you were at a football game. College baseball is very, very, very exciting especially if you have a quality team full of athletes like SU has had over the last couple of season. In fact I will even say SU had the most athletic team in the nation 2001-2004. If we could ever get top flight pitching the swac could dominate college baseball with their athletes. You don't know the feeling I had when we beat Southern Miss. in that regional(with Dewan Day pitching a 1 hitter, and Rickie smashing the game winning homer over the fence), or when we beat LSU over the last couple of season. This is the only sport where we are able to get top flight black recruits away from PWC's because they don't even want them. Baseball is a sport where the swac could seriously make some noise in the NCAA tournament. Hell we already have.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
You need to catch an SU game. In fact when we play LSU @ Lee Hines(SU home field) if you are not there early(1:30 before first pitch) you won't get a seat. The band comes out , fans tailgate and everything. You would swear you were at a football game. College baseball is very, very, very exciting especially if you have a quality team full of athletes like SU has had over the last couple of season. In fact I will even say SU had the most athletic team in the nation 2001-2004. If we could ever get top flight pitching the swac could dominate college baseball with their athletes. You don't know the feeling I had when we beat Southern Miss. in that regional(with Dewan Day pitching a 1 hitter, and Rickie smashing the game winning homer over the fence), or when we beat LSU over the last couple of season. This is the only sport where we are able to get top flight black recruits away from PWC's because they don't even want them. Baseball is a sport where the swac could seriously make some noise in the NCAA tournament. Hell we already have.

You are so right. However, it still kills me how our kids still do there darnest to go to the whiter schools only to have to fight every year to keep them from putting a white kid ahead of them.

But, you are correct. Just like any other sports, when you are watching good teams play, it is very entertaining.

Peace...

DAHILL said:

This is always the response from those that just don't like the game. For those of us that do understand the game it is very exciting. When you can watch how a pitcher goes at a batter with all the different pitches. How a batter goes at the pitcher, how the defense sets up against each batter. When men are on base and they attack the next base, based on the hit, the pitchers release and the defense. Baseball is like a chest match, there are so many things going on on both sides of the field. I'm getting so excited just typing this, can't wait till the season starts. Hopefully I get the chance to be a assistant on my sons team again this year. Even in the select baseball competition is high, I do wish there were more blacks playing at his level. I know that it is very hard and expensive to compete at that level but MLB needs to help the inner city get back to playing becuase they are missing out on some very talented athletes.

Honestly, I really dont care for baseball. But, I have and will continue to watch SWAC baseball, cause it's something watching us play each other. It seems to me that SWAC baseball plays at a faster pace than like MLB. Anyway, if I'm in the vicinity during that time, I will be there.

Fiyah said:
This is always the response from those that just don't like the game. For those of us that do understand the game it is very exciting. When you can watch how a pitcher goes at a batter with all the different pitches. How a batter goes at the pitcher, how the defense sets up against each batter. When men are on base and they attack the next base, based on the hit, the pitchers release and the defense. Baseball is like a chest match, there are so many things going on on both sides of the field. I'm getting so excited just typing this, can't wait till the season starts. Hopefully I get the chance to be a assistant on my sons team again this year. Even in the select baseball competition is high, I do wish there were more blacks playing at his level. I know that it is very hard and expensive to compete at that level but MLB needs to help the inner city get back to playing becuase they are missing out on some very talented athletes.

What is a chest match?

Back