Audit finds problems at ASU such as unapproved stadium cost overruns

To be honest, a 10% overrun is a lot, but it is not uncommon on large projects. I believe 20% is the threshold most States uses before they start to question the excessive cost overrun of a project. In most cases, project budgets are built with a 10% to 15% contingency for unexpected cost additions. As for the ASU's stadium overrun, the real question should have been, were those overruns necessary to complete the project or were they just a means of helping someone to make more money?

I read a while back the president AD and BOT kept adding to the project

Seems like this system of having a board is not good at all. There seems to be little to no oversite nor accountability for it's members.

I read a while back the president AD and BOT kept adding to the project

In that case, my only question would have been what they added to the project justified and properly done?

I do believe Jerry's World (AT&T Stadium) proposed cost amount before construction was $1 billion dollars. Its final construction cost came to $1.3 billion dollars, which is a 30% cost overrun. I'm sure Jerry saw a way to take advantage of Arlington, TX luxury tax on hotels and restaurants as means of getting some of his buddies paid.

Last edited:
If they did hire him, he could not fire ASU's board of trustees, which I think the Governor himself or a person from the Governor's Office is a member of ASU's board of trustees.
It baffles me as to why you're over here commenting when your own board is committing underhanded crimes, yet you failed to say one word about their shenanigans.

It baffles me as to why you're over here commenting when your own board is committing underhanded crimes, yet you failed to say one word about their shenanigans.

Because unlike you, I do realize that ASU is not some one horse university like some SWAC schools.

So from my understanding nothing will happen to ASU because the state of Alabama will take care of everything?

So from my understanding nothing will happen to ASU because the state of Alabama will take care of everything?

I'm sure the State of Alabama hands are just as dirty as ASU's trustees when it comes to mishandling funds at the university.

You are right nothing will happen. A&M got caught on the MCC extravagances first which caught ASU in their audit. Corrections have been made by both universities. The audit did not identify any violation of state laws. The old adm cut corners and ignored rules to complete the stadium for 2012 Thanksgiving opening. All involved during this time are no longer working for the university. So far no fraudulent or kickbacks have been discovered in nearly 3 years of investigations.

Construction cost over runs are a fact of life. When plans are approved for construction they are normally already in the red because construction dates are nowhere near the actual date of contract letting. Now, having said that there are safe guards that should be built in to minimize cost over runs. Also, what the over runs were for plays a big part in whether they were legit or not. Payola can be hidden in the cost of a project unless someone is just dumb or greedy or both.

Back