Alcorn State vs. Grambling: 2013 Circle City Classic Football Game Payouts Revealed

Re: Alcorn State vs. Grambling: 2013 Circle City Classic Football Game Payouts Reveal

It's obvious that the two parties negotiated the terms of the contracts independently and that Grambling reps understood their brand and leverage it effectively. Personally, I think the contract should have been a joint agreement or that the AD from Alcorn should've had a meeting before the meeting!

Re: Alcorn State vs. Grambling: 2013 Circle City Classic Football Game Payouts Reveal

The game in Mobile was ASU's home game, so Jsu didn't make a decision to stop playing there. As for not liking Mobile, you're preaching to the choir, cause I know several ASU folks who didn't like Mobile (including many on here :lol: ), but I won't say that all ASU people disliked Mobile. I didn't like taking a home game away, but I didn't have a problem with Mobile itself. Plus, like JR posted, it was a real convenient excuse/reason to go to Biloxi.

Bottom line is MOBILE was crap to JSU fans. NOBODY liked going to Mobile. End of story.
At the end of the game, like you said, people would haul azz back over the Mississippi border to the Mississippi gulf Coast. :lol:

PC our but............. :goof:

This is a simple matter of ALCORN reps looking at that contract and saying WTF are you trying to pull before signing on. I know exposure was one of the reasons but don't screw yourself for 48 hours of people knowing who you are. :lol:
Noting against Alcorn but they don't have a national name or following like Grambling. That's why there is a difference in pay.

Noting against Alcorn but they don't have a national name or following like Grambling. That's why there is a difference in pay.

Incompetent and clueless......................Thats why there is a pay difference.
I don't care what this "name recognition" crap is, they should have people that know what they doing before they jump up and sign shat. They should have requested to see all the payouts and perks of both schools before finalizing the contracts. If they could not get with that, then Alcorn should have busted the CCC and Grams bubble by saying bing that azz to Lorman. :lol:

Incompetent and clueless......................Thats why there is a pay difference.
I don't care what this "name recognition" crap is, they should have people that know what they doing before they jump up and sign shat. They should have requested to see all the payouts and perks of both schools before finalizing the contracts. If they could not get with that, then Alcorn should have busted the CCC and Grams bubble by saying bing that azz to Lorman. :lol:
Let's also be honest, over the last couple of years, outside of the SU or JSU game, Alcorn attendance numbers have been in the dumps. Who says they would have drawn 5,000 for this game. Obviously their administration were comfortable with the payout.

Let's also be honest, over the last couple of years, outside of the SU or JSU game, Alcorn attendance numbers have been in the dumps. Who says they would have drawn 5,000 for this game. Obviously their administration were comfortable with the payout.

With the last hire, Alcorn improved their home attendance from a average of 8125 per game in 2011 to 11408 per game in 2012. Gram would have surely got at least 15,000 on opening day down in Lorman. Alcorn fans didn't stop going to games until the 7th or 8th game when they had a total of 1000 peoiple for their last 2 games under Spears. New coach in 2nd year, renewed hope for Brave fans and Gram has not been there in years after pitching a O'fer in 2012, that game would have drawn more than 15,000.

Com' on man.
This was just dumb contract negotiations by Alcorn reps. They could have used the fact that it was their home game and their choice, NOT GRAMS, to play in the CCC. :lol:

Last edited:

In classics, everything is written out in the contracts. No way Alcorn didn't know how much GRAM was getting. If they didn't, they are some of the dumbest people on the planet when it comes to business contracts.

There is no way in hell JSU would play the SHC if Tennessee State was getting one dime more than JSU. They would have to bring that azz to Jackson every 2nd year or find someone else to play. :lol:

I wouldn't be so sure of that 83. Grambling and Alcorn signed two different contract with the Indiana Black Expo. Whomever was involved with negotiations, negotiated strictly on behalf of the school they represented. They were not necessarily concerned with what the other school was getting.

The CCC contract setup is indeed different from the contracts involving the State Fair Classic (GSU and PV), Bayou Classic (GSU and SU) and probably even the Magic City Classic (ASU and AAMU). I know for a fact that contracts for the SFC and BC are signed by BOTH institutions in which the revenues are shared evenly.

We offered the Braves more money to play in the annual Turkey Day Classic than they are getting for their relocated home game against Grambling. Interesting!

With the last hire, Alcorn improved their home attendance from a average of 8125 per game in 2011 to 11408 per game in 2012. Gram would have surely got at least 15,000 on opening day down in Lorman. Alcorn fans didn't stop going to games until the 7th or 8th game when they had a total of 1000 peoiple for their last 2 games under Spears. New coach in 2nd year, renewed hope for Brave fans and Gram has not been there in years after pitching a O'fer in 2012, that game would have drawn more than 15,000.

Com' on man.
This was just dumb contract negotiations by Alcorn reps. They could have used the fact that it was their home game and their choice, NOT GRAMS, to play in the CCC. :lol:

Do you know WHY their attendance improved in 2012? They played BOTH SU and JSU at home last year. LOL They drew UNDER 9,000 for each of their other 3 home games.

I wouldn't be so sure of that 83. Grambling and Alcorn signed two different contract with the Indiana Black Expo. Whomever was involved with negotiations, negotiated strictly on behalf of the school they represented. They were not necessarily concerned with what the other school was getting.

The CCC contract setup is indeed different from the contracts involving the State Fair Classic (GSU and PV), Bayou Classic (GSU and SU) and probably even the Magic City Classic (ASU and AAMU). I know for a fact that contracts for the SFC and BC are signed by BOTH institutions in which the revenues are shared evenly.

Shortchanged themselves just because someone looked their way. That is not good business. :lol:

We offered the Braves more money to play in the annual Turkey Day Classic than they are getting for their relocated home game against Grambling. Interesting!

WOW and they turned it down? Makes no sense unless Bama St wanted it to be a multi-year deal.

Thank you! This was not much of mystery people. Each school worked their own deal independently. In a contract negotiation for a one time game, it only makes sense to conduct business as such. Classics that feature the same teams consistently need even revenue sharing deals because a team may go on winning streak and the losing team will have less of a draw (risk management). The success of that game year in and out depends on both schools. CCC with ASU and GSU is a one time affair, therefore its a money grab opportunity.

Shout out to GSU for grabbing their money. ASU President and AD undervalued what yall were bringing to the table.

Do you know WHY their attendance improved in 2012? They played BOTH SU and JSU at home last year. LOL They drew UNDER 9,000 for each of their other 3 home games.

Please.
Don't turn this thread into that again

They play SU at Alcorn every other year and their average attendance in those years before this recent hire was below funeral status. Alcorn has not had a decent coach since 1996. You had ripsaw and all them other jacklegged fools the last 6 years that drove attendance down. They have had 3 presidents, 3 ADs and 5 head coaches since RIPSAW left in 2006.

And you honestly don't think that was part of the reason.

Which is why it's more profitable to make Grambling a home game. I refuse to believe that whoever is calling the shots at Alcorn didn't think of that.

Please.
Don't turn this thread into that again

They play SU at Alcorn every other year and their average attendance in those years before this recent hire was below funeral status. Alcorn has not had a decent coach since 1996. You had ripsaw and all them other jacklegged fools the last 6 years that drove attendance down. They have had 3 presidents, 3 ADs and 5 head coaches since RIPSAW left in 2006.

And you honestly don't think that was part of the reason.

So why didn't fans attend the other games last season? They played a home game before the JSU game and nobody was there.

Not to knock Alcorn, but obviously Gram's AD did a better job of negotiating than the folks from Alcorn. The CCC promoters aren't very good either... they could have told Gram, "Okay, we'll get someone else besides you two...now go on down to Lorman and get paid $0".

Not to knock Alcorn, but obviously Gram's AD did a better job of negotiating than the folks from Alcorn. The CCC promoters aren't very good either... they could have told Gram, "Okay, we'll get someone else besides you two...now go on down to Lorman and get paid $0".

True.

For the game itself, the schools are getting roughly the same amount with Alcorn getting $10,000 more. $230,000 for Alcorn and $220,00 for Grambling. Somebody at Grambling was just smart enough to ask for an additional $100,000 for "scholarships" and got it.

Grambling just simply negotiated better.

However, folks are laughing at Alcorn now, but we probably shouldn't laugh too hard because these sort of SNAFUs are routine at SWAC schools. Grambling's deal might be "better" than Alcorn's, but how we know that BOTH schools still didn't leave money on the table? How do we know that Grambling got the best deal available? While we're giggling at Alcorn, somebody may be giggling at both schools.

Grambling got a payday where no payday was even anticipated ...this was an "away" game. I'm satisfied with the payout... could we have gotten more, perhaps! Could we have been told to "take a hike" and get nothing...Most definitely!

Grambling got a payday where no payday was even anticipated ...this was an "away" game. I'm satisfied with the payout... could we have gotten more, perhaps! Could we have been told to "take a hike" and get nothing...Most definitely!

Grambling is the winner at the end of the day..they are getting paid for an away game! They will more than likely have the larger crowd there...More people know about Grambling than Alcorn so this should help them in student recruitment while they are there...All in All this is a win win for Grambling! Good Job...:clap:

I'm still angry at Alcorn's Administration for moving a Home Game but let me share this...

My Trump Card: In Grambling’s contract with Indiana Black Expo, the school is to receive payouts totaling $320,000. The payment terms include “a post-event guarantee payment†of $220,000 to be paid “within 90 days after the event†and “a post-event payment†of $100,000 “for scholarships of the University’s choiceâ€.

My Trump Card Question: "Post-Event" right? What if this game doesn't sell well and the attendance is low? We are guaranteed our $46,000 already. What if the Expo is unable to pay Grambling after the game within the timeframes due to the poor attendance?

Like I said, I am against moving ANY HOME GAME away from the home stadium. I'm done.

I think that this is a bad deal for both school and really feel that both of these School of Higher Learning got pimp. When both schools have to pay all expense for travel of team, band and administrators and pay for meals and lodging. This is really really a bad deal and both schools, plus as of lately this has been a bad classic. Just look at the finance records of the black expo. If you ask me both schools got pimp.

I think that this is a bad deal for both school and really feel that both of these School of Higher Learning got pimp. When both schools have to pay all expense for travel of team, band and administrators and pay for meals and lodging. This is really really a bad deal and both schools, plus as of lately this has been a bad classic. Just look at the finance records of the black expo. If you ask me both schools got pimp.

A school having to pay for its own expenses is par for the course. That is standard procedure. Even when schools play against BCS opponents they don't pay for expenses. When negotiating a contract, the AD has to take expenses into consideration. Having the school pay for their own expenses is not "pimping them".

I'm still angry at Alcorn's Administration for moving a Home Game but let me share this...

My Trump Card: In Grambling’s contract with Indiana Black Expo, the school is to receive payouts totaling $320,000. The payment terms include “a post-event guarantee payment” of $220,000 to be paid “within 90 days after the event” and “a post-event payment” of $100,000 “for scholarships of the University’s choice”.

My Trump Card Question: "Post-Event" right? What if this game doesn't sell well and the attendance is low? We are guaranteed our $46,000 already. What if the Expo is unable to pay Grambling after the game within the timeframes due to the poor attendance?

Like I said, I am against moving ANY HOME GAME away from the home stadium. I'm done.

If they don't pay within parameters, I'm sure Grambling will take legal action.

This is run by the Indiana Black Expo. They will not be depending on the attendance of this classic to fulfill the financial obligations to the schools.

Last edited:
Back