Why Aren't Black Students Picking Majors That Lead to High-Paying Jobs?

CEE DOG

Read the comment section. White people are really obsessed with black folks.

http://news.yahoo.com/why-arent-black-students-picking-majors-lead-high-003356529.html

Ask a group of high school seniors what they're sick of being asked about college, and they'll likely share some variation of the question “What are you going to major in?” Adults usually follow up the query one of two ways: They tell students to study a subject that leads to a high-paying job—after all, student loans don't pay themselves. Or they say money isn’t everything, and that students should major in a field that appeals to their passions. Hello, English and psychology.

But according to a new report from the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, black students are more likely to choose majors that don’t lead to lucrative careers—and it may not always be a matter of personal choice.
The center studied data on 137 majors and found a significant underrepresentation of black students in fields of study that put students on the path to high-paying, in-demand jobs. “The low-paying majors that African Americans are concentrated in are of high social value but low economic value,” Anthony P. Carnevale, the director of the Georgetown Center and co-author of the report said in a statement.

Students who major in pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences and administration tend to have median earnings of $84,000, but only 6 percent of black students study those fields. Although 1 million STEM jobs are needed over the next decade the report found that black students are underrepresented in STEM majors overall, which hurts their economic prospects throughout their lifetimes.

Not choosing a STEM major can have a significant economic impact on a person's life. “African Americans who earned a Bachelor’s degree in a STEM related major, such as architecture or engineering, can earn as much as 50 percent more than African Americans who earned a Bachelor’s degree in art or psychology and social work,” wrote the report’s authors.

Instead, wrote the authors, black students are more likely to major in "intellectual and caring" fields. They grativate toward early childhood education, and social work, "where low incomes do not reflect their years of higher education."

We are taught to go to school so we can give back so that impacts our choices. We consider it snobbish to want to be wealthy.

It's not just about the major but being diverse. We don't teach diversity. Being fluent in more than one thing.
Interesting. I am a data analyst (bootleg statistician) for the govt by day and run a creative services firm on the side and one day. I was meeting with some Asian students one day when we were trying to set up an online tutoring program for chinese students wanting to get into American universities and they were shocked that I was capable in both data analyst and graphic design. I explained to them that I had started working with photoshop in 9th grade and that I learned SPSS in grad school.

I was broke sleeping on the floor in Kenner, LA back in 07-08 and I had two jobs then... I ain't ever going back to being broke.

Interesting. I am a data analyst (bootleg statistician) for the govt by day and run a creative services firm on the side and one day. I was meeting with some Asian students one day when we were trying to set up an online tutoring program for chinese students wanting to get into American universities and they were shocked that I was capable in both data analyst and graphic design. I explained to them that I had started working with photoshop in 9th grade and that I learned SPSS in grad school.

I was broke sleeping on the floor in Kenner, LA back in 07-08 and I had two jobs then... I ain't ever going back to being broke.

Bruh by day I am Tax Assessor getting certified to be Tax Appraiser and Property Appraiser. My side job is a certified tax preparer and examiner. I also have a non-profit. In the fall I will teaching part time at a community college teaching political science and education courses.

I don't believe in being locked down to one field or specialty. Each time I speak to a class at GSU I tell them not to be focused on one particular field. you must have a variety of skill sets. Hell my barber by day is an Assistant Director of a Children's Home for at risk kids and by night he cuts hair. The other barber is an Engineer at one of the local plants and cuts hair.

I have a SHIP (line brother) who has a Marketing degree and an MBA. He got laid off and went to Vo-Tech to become a welder. He now owns his welding company and employes 26 dudes. He is now being certified to become a deep sea diver to become an under water welder.

I see far too many Sociology/Psychology/Fashion Design/Management majors among black kids. Also a lot of education majors but frankly we need more black men as educators of our young boys so I cannot knock that.

A sad thing I notice also is that a lot of our Graduates do not take advantage of the Graduate School Programs a lot of our HBCUs offer.

Many people don't know that Alcorn and JSU each have one of the best MBA programs in the Nation. JSU was the first HBCU I believe to have an Online MBA Program.

Also keep mind: the tuition at public HBCUs is cheaper than that at Private HBCUs.

A sad thing I notice also is that a lot of our Graduates do not take advantage of the Graduate School Programs a lot of our HBCUs offer.

Many people don't know that Alcorn and JSU each have one of the best MBA programs in the Nation. JSU was the first HBCU I believe to have an Online MBA Program.

Also keep mind: the tuition at public HBCUs is cheaper than that at Private HBCUs.

+1

they don't pick them because
1. parents aren't informed or guiding them
2. HS counselors tend to be biased more and more towards what they like, what school they attended, etc
3. HBCUs don't do the best job of packaging themselves so their message is clear, precise and easily understood about what we offer, who we are, etc. IMO
4. HS tech programs are influencing more and more

2. HS counselors tend to be biased more and more towards what they like, what school they attended, etc
3. HBCUs don't do the best job of packaging themselves so their message is clear, precise and easily understood about what we offer, who we are, etc. IMO
5. HSs in the south are not promoting STEM to black students as much as they should
6. Many parents have the stigma that "I'm not good at math" or "That new math is stupid so I can't help" and the kids buy into it
7. Some kids just want an easier way to finish college

I was in STEM programs at JSU from the Summers of 1992 - 1996. When I think back on all the friends I made that I'm still cool with today, only one of them is working in a STEM field. All are successful in other areas such as Law, Business, Insurance, Real Estate and Healthcare. However, the one that went into Engineering is a DoD contractor in N.C., and I'm pretty sure he's making more than any of us is right now.

Read the comment section. White people are really obsessed with black folks.

http://news.yahoo.com/why-arent-black-students-picking-majors-lead-high-003356529.html

Ask a group of high school seniors what they're sick of being asked about college, and they'll likely share some variation of the question “What are you going to major in?” Adults usually follow up the query one of two ways: They tell students to study a subject that leads to a high-paying job—after all, student loans don't pay themselves. Or they say money isn’t everything, and that students should major in a field that appeals to their passions. Hello, English and psychology.

But according to a new report from the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, black students are more likely to choose majors that don’t lead to lucrative careers—and it may not always be a matter of personal choice.
The center studied data on 137 majors and found a significant underrepresentation of black students in fields of study that put students on the path to high-paying, in-demand jobs. “The low-paying majors that African Americans are concentrated in are of high social value but low economic value,” Anthony P. Carnevale, the director of the Georgetown Center and co-author of the report said in a statement.

Students who major in pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences and administration tend to have median earnings of $84,000, but only 6 percent of black students study those fields. Although 1 million STEM jobs are needed over the next decade the report found that black students are underrepresented in STEM majors overall, which hurts their economic prospects throughout their lifetimes.

Not choosing a STEM major can have a significant economic impact on a person's life. “African Americans who earned a Bachelor’s degree in a STEM related major, such as architecture or engineering, can earn as much as 50 percent more than African Americans who earned a Bachelor’s degree in art or psychology and social work,” wrote the report’s authors.

Instead, wrote the authors, black students are more likely to major in "intellectual and caring" fields. They grativate toward early childhood education, and social work, "where low incomes do not reflect their years of higher education."
I don't know why kids aren't thinking about the STEM majors. Before I chose Computer Science while in High school, I started searching high paying college majors. I was lucky that my Computer teacher had a CS degree from Mississippi State. She talked about how her brother who was also a CS Major and graduate of MSU made a lot of money because of his degree and experience. I was sold on CS from that moment on. My wife and I take our kids to all types of STEM related events. We talk about STEM projects and what is required. My wife is an Electrical Engineer, so that also helps.

Last edited:
I see that a lot with kids from high school. They go to Ole Miss and Mississippi State but none major in STEM programs. I see a lot of Education, Psychology and Social Work majors. My brother has a degree in Psychology from Grambling. I told him he still can use that degree in other areas.

I don't know why kids aren't thinking about the STEM majors. Before I chose Computer Science while in High school, I started searching high paying college majors. I was lucky that my Computer teacher had a CS degree from Mississippi State. She talked about how her brother who was also a CS Major and graduate of MSU made a lot of money because of his degree and experience. I was sold on CS from that moment on. My wife and I take our kids to all types of STEM related events. We talk about STEM projects and what is required. My wife is an Electrical Engineer, so that also helps.
I've already been looking into this for my 3 and 5 year old. Fortunately, I'm a 5-minute drive from UCF, which has a pretty good Engineering program, and Research Parkway which boasts a lot of Engineering firms. Lockheed and Semens are really close, too. Kennedy Space Center is less than an hour away. My mom did that for me w/ JSU....didn't quite work out lol, so I'll give it a shot with my two.

I've already been looking into this for my 3 and 5 year old. Fortunately, I'm a 5-minute drive from UCF, which has a pretty good Engineering program, and Research Parkway which boasts a lot of Engineering firms. Lockheed and Semens are really close, too. Kennedy Space Center is less than an hour away. My mom did that for me w/ JSU....didn't quite work out lol, so I'll give it a shot with my two.
It will help and also buying STEM related toys and kits.

Students who major in pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences and administration tend to have median earnings of $84,000, but only 6 percent of black students study those fields.
The pharmacy school was the thing that took my wife and I to TSU. Her family are all su alums. She loved pharmacy practice I hated it so I later changed my major to business. But that pharmacy background is what allowed me access to use my business degree in the pharmaceutical industry. I tell my wife all the time she crazy for working on the pharmacy side of the industry. She needs to come on over to the manufacturing, development side. She says she would hate working in manufacturing or a lab so I guess it worked out. But that science background is what opened doors for me.

I did not want to be poor anymore - so I chose something that paid well.

I won't say I was poor because we lived fairly decent, but this was pretty much my reasoning. Tell my little cousins the same thing... that "follow your dream" stuff is nice until you find yourself with a degree, a ton of student loan debt and working in customer service making $12 an hour. Had to tell my parents the same thing when they were encouraging my brother to be a "business" major... I told him to go into finance.

You don't see as many of us in STEM because many of our black schools don't bother with programs that will showcase those fields. And when you get a school that does-guess who won't let their kids attend? It got so bad here in Dallas that we had to make some neighborhood schools STEM related. It had to be forced on the kids.

You want kids to be interested-you have to show them folks in said fields and put some Mommas in their places. We can showcase all that stuff but as long as the HOME doesn't care-we lose kids.It's not acting white to be in these fields. And in reality you have to start this stuff at ELEMENTARY level.

You don't see as many of us in STEM because many of our black schools don't bother with programs that will showcase those fields. And when you get a school that does-guess who won't let their kids attend? It got so bad here in Dallas that we had to make some neighborhood schools STEM related. It had to be forced on the kids.

You want kids to be interested-you have to show them folks in said fields and put some Mommas in their places. We can showcase all that stuff but as long as the HOME doesn't care-we lose kids.It's not acting white to be in these fields. And in reality you have to start this stuff at ELEMENTARY level.

Also, so-called integrated schools are segregated within. When kids graduate from these so-called integrated schools, it's almost like the Black and White kids attended two different high schools. There's this high school in Lynchburg, VA (E.C. Glass High School), where a lot of Black kids are in basic high school classes in order to graduate and a lot of their White classmates are in more challenging classes, such as physics, calculus, and other courses on the college level. LSUA in my home town (Alexandria, LA) has started a similar program with Bolton High School. The program is called Bolton Academy of Student Scholars (BASS). Although Bolton High School is like 60% Black, I'm pretty sure the program will be 90% White kids enrolled.

https://www.lsua.edu/news/2016/01/26/lsua-and-bolton-high-school-team-up-for-bass-program

Back