Why Aren't Black Students Picking Majors That Lead to High-Paying Jobs?

I see far too many Sociology/Psychology/Fashion Design/Management majors among black kids. Also a lot of education majors but frankly we need more black men as educators of our young boys so I cannot knock that.

I agree. But sadly a lot of Black people are taught by family to "just get a degree" so you get a disproportionate amount of folks going for those "easy" degrees. In actuality , learning a trade has far more benefits than those degrees.

A lot of these prep males and females simply don't have the competitive mantra to achieve and excel in a STEM field, imho. I'm speaking strictly as a lead devl/sr software engineer who contributed to the advancement of the paradigm during the early 1990s. There are certain things I neutrally observe when I simply listen to them talk and NOT ask question after question after question after question... They have zero interest, therefore, they don't desire to drive deeper to inquire or gain knowledge on how/what to do to achieve/succeed in the field.

Avoiding an academic challenge? That simply is NOT the answer for someone who purports to desire to go head to head w/ planet earth's best. :D lol Not to berate these so-called "early" intervention type programs to introduce youth but humans haven't changed. If you don't have the desire + drive, it simply will not happen, imho.

Back