Why is it difficult for the SWAC to schedule top FCS Schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to go off of current events: it may be fair to say Alcorn and Grambling will be SU's biggest games in 2015 IF everyone is winning.

I'll let you have SU vs. JSU each year if you agree to put FAMU every year on the schedule too.
JSU is SU's biggest current rival. GSU historically. It doesn't matter the records of either SU or JSU when we play. We literally hate each other.

Unless you are playing one of the top rated FCS schools in the country the guarantee isnt worth it if you are looking to make real money. In 2011 Alcorn played James Madison who was ranked #5 in the FCS at time and the guarantee was only $250,000. They took a 18 hour bus ride becuase chartering a plane would have cost to much. When you take out expenses you didn't make much out of that game. Smaller FCS schools would like a home and home or a 2 for 1 meaning you go to that school twice and they come to your stadium once then is usually a guarantee. If you don't pack your stadium for that game then you don't make money. When you play at the opposing teams stadium they will make money because their fans support. There is more money to make playing FBS schools and im talking about schools from the power 5. There are some exceptions (UTEP,New Mexico,New Mexico State Arkansas State etc)Although the end result isn't that pretty.

Jagtiludead, I think you may want to rethink what you're thinking. sTu, currently, doesn't recruit Houston, Texas (look @ the old roster for yourself w/ 15/16 Houstonians, I believe). Didn't sTu sign only 2 student-athletes from Houston, Texas this past February?

If you look @ the active rosters, HBU seems to recruit the greater Houston area and sTu does not.

Unless you are playing one of the top rated FCS schools in the country the guarantee isnt worth it if you are looking to make real money. In 2011 Alcorn played James Madison who was ranked #5 in the FCS at time and the guarantee was only $250,000. They took a 18 hour bus ride becuase chartering a plane would have cost to much. When you take out expenses you didn't make much out of that game. Smaller FCS schools would like a home and home or a 2 for 1 meaning you go to that school twice and they come to your stadium once then is usually a guarantee. If you don't pack your stadium for that game then you don't make money. When you play at the opposing teams stadium they will make money because their fans support. There is more money to make playing FBS schools and im talking about schools from the power 5. There are some exceptions (UTEP,New Mexico,New Mexico State Arkansas State etc)Although the end result isn't that pretty.

Which P5 are you referring to? The P5 indicated a few ago that they will not be playing sub-d-I FBS schools in the future (see Big XII, SEC, Pac-12, Big X).

Don't try to back track now. See, when you are HBCU National Champions, EVERYBODY in HBCU WORLD and I Mean EVERYBODY watches what you do.

Did you all not think other HBCUs would take our schedule as a "slap in the face" "as a sign of disrespect"?!? Who does Alcorn think they are? Talking about Lower FCS Schools are "beneath them".

I told you this Alcorn. Now, what are we going do. Hopson may get mad but oh well. NO ONE is above a Program. TN State, FAMU, SE LA, McNeese, or play MEAC Schools only in Classics.

Alcorn Scheduling Follies since Hopson Arrived:

1. Allowing another SWAC School to basically avoid playing in Lorman.
2. Playing schools no one has heard of for scrimmages thus telling me and others pregame to stay in the Tailgate Area.
3. Outside of SWAC Play, killing the interest of Alcorn Football on a National Scale.

JSU is SU's biggest current rival. GSU historically. It doesn't matter the records of either SU or JSU when we play. We literally hate each other.

Which is fair: you guys can have SU vs. JSU every year as long as you work out something with FAMU every year as well. Didn't you all have a Shootout with FAMU a few years ago with the final score being 51-49 or something like that?

SN: Reward your Jaguar Alumni who bravely Tailgates at Howard Home Games showing his SU Pride. Schedule Howard man for a home and home and reward the man's dedication lol.

I didn't read this thread but I can answer the question.. The problem is the 1-AA vs 1-A games. If the NCAA puts a ban on those, you will get to see more 1-AA vs 1-AA games like we used to. Now, everyone is after the "money game". Competition means nothing. Even if you sign a contract with a fellow 1-AA team, they are bound to break it if they get an offer for a "money game".

SU, Gram, and JSU could get a home and home with any school in FCS. Probably Bama St also. I would never do a 2 for 1 deal. That's foolish.

Jagtiludead, I think you may want to rethink what you're thinking. sTu, currently, doesn't recruit Houston, Texas (look @ the old roster for yourself w/ 15/16 Houstonians, I believe). Didn't sTu sign only 2 student-athletes from Houston, Texas this past February?

If you look @ the active rosters, HBU seems to recruit the greater Houston area and sTu does not.
It's no excuse why they don't. Playing that game, if they lose, would further hurt their efforts to recruit Houston.

Those schools can get a home and home. Keep in mind your guarantee is selling out your stadium. We know fans don't neccessarily pack our stadiums for those non conference games unless its an HBCU. Do our ad's feel confident that if GSU were to host a Jacksonville State or Sam Houston would there be 20,000 at Eddie Robinson Memorial Stadium? That is when a home and home can be beneficial.

It's no excuse why they don't. Playing that game, if they lose, would further hurt their efforts to recruit Houston.

Seems like it wouldn't hurt either. HBU recruits Houston, Texas and sTu recruits all across America as their current staffers are focused on areas other than Houston, from what their current reruiting trend shows.

PVAMU, SHSU, HBU, IWU, ACU, & SFA are the only D-I FCS Texas schools that focus recruiting/signing young people from the Houston area (football), seems like.

FAMU NEEDS TO BE ON SU schedule,,JUST FROM A HISTORICAL STANDPOINT,, one of the oldest games in hbcu, that is the only meac school that should be on SU schedule on a home to home bases every year... POINT BLANK,

Why you say as JSU ?

Because we do not have non FCS opponent in the state of Mississippi nor have we ever had any non HBCU opponents travel well to JSU besides a D2 Delta State. Not to say I wouldnt mind having more non HBCUs on the schedule but history has shown they do not travel well... The schools I have listed stay well in distance with other PWI FCS schools to generate buzz for their fans to attend home and home games..

And I agree, from a competition stand point yes SU, should pay NSU, Mcnesse, but from a business/money hell no.. SU travels to them deep, (NSU) etc but they bring nthn to SU..
LOOK AT LATECH....They are paying SU, the most they have ever paid ANY FCS OPPONENT, now some Tech fans are not happy,, (just go check their sports board)''but I would rather SU or any HBCU,make money then lose money on FCS schools that bring 200, people

You just don't get it; think like a head coach would...

If you have a head coach who is only thinking about the upcoming season (not 2017 or 2018) and he is only familiar with his already established recruiting territory (outside of where your program is) why should he be worried about it?

If you have a head coach who is only thinking about the upcoming season (not 2017 or 2018) and he is only familiar with his already established recruiting territory (outside of where your program is) why should he be worried about it?
It's no reason/excuse you can give me why TSU don't recruit Houston.

You got 2 games to schedule now.....remember gsu was apart of the group that wanted the 9 game mandate and pushed for it.

Like I've showed you before that the NCAA only requires you to play a conference schedule, anything else is just for your own school to decide.

They need to make sure you can't schedule ooc games with conference foes not on your schedule.

If I'm not mistaken the vote was unanimous. Another point is that our last president and current president are in support of removing the 9 game mandate. I think there are schools that lean on that NCAA rule for the sake of having a winning record. Let's be honest GSU, SU, and JSU can field a full schedule with no problem. It's other SWAC schools who can't. That is the problem with the growth of the SWAC.

SU and JSU is the best game this conference has to offer. It's a must this game is played every year. Teams should be able to pick one permanent rival.

There are certain games you don't mess with. I agree games between JSU v (SU or GSU) should never end. Having a seven game mandate does not mean a school is required to play the 2 games OOC. It is just giving schools a choice!!!!

That's what some of you may be missing. It would give schools like GSU a chance to not play the Alabama schools and possibly pursue 2 in state rivals that could save money on travel etc....

Which is fair: you guys can have SU vs. JSU every year as long as you work out something with FAMU every year as well. Didn't you all have a Shootout with FAMU a few years ago with the final score being 51-49 or something like that?

SN: Reward your Jaguar Alumni who bravely Tailgates at Howard Home Games showing his SU Pride. Schedule Howard man for a home and home and reward the man's dedication lol.

1. Those 51-49/50-48 games were at least 15 years ago. Current players weren't even potty trained by then. Besides, the MEAC has their own scheduling problems nowadays.
2. Tailgates at Howard home games? Only at homecoming ... Why would Southern spend tens of thousands of dollars just to say we played in Washington, D.C.? Cats at Howard don't really go to Howard games. Hold up ... Why you got such a hard-on for Howard?

However, I would prefer to see the Southern-FAMU game AS A HOME-AND-HOME every first weekend of November/last weekend of October like it was when I was in undergrad. Hell, I'd love to see it on the schedule period, Home-and-Home or in a neutral-site environment that is financially beneficial to both institutions.

How many local kids was Cole signing when he was there?

Reactions: J C
This thread is further evidence that we need to stay at 9 games. There is NO happy medium. Even with 8 games, you either get permanent opponents which would be unfair because it would look like this:

SU-JSU
Alcorn-GSU
Valley -UAPB
BAMAS vs Texans (that's four no votes right there)

If you don't do permanent opponents, then on the chopping block are games from the four largest fan bases and the most traditional rivals in the conference.

JSU-SU
JSU-GSU
SU-Alcorn
GSU-Alcorn

It would only be a one year haitus but people would still scream bloody murder! (BTW, that's 4 no votes right there... LOL)

If we can't have a set of STRINGENT and enforcable scheduling rules, I want no parts of it. Even in the ACC, we have permanent football opponents but while I enjoy kicking Clemson's azz every year, I would prefer to see the likes of Louisville and Florida State more. Why are they in the conference if we only play them once every 5-10 years? Permanent opponents are not ideal and they would NOT work in the SWAC. So you all need to stop with the dumb ideas about 8 games and/or permanent opponents.

And for the record, I prefer a 7 game format but I don't trust these ADs to do right... AT ALL! I could miss the annual JSU-SU game. They could meet us in Houston in December if they truly want some. However, on the years when we don't play, I would just want to believe that my admins thought ahead and TRIED to find a suitable game of interest. A 7 game format also gives you the opportunity to build non-conference rivals. JSU once had a 5 game series with Howard and we played FAMU and NW State more. But the problem is unless we get some ADs with the Roy Culberson mindset, the schedules are gonna suck azz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back