House subcommittee votes to shut down SC State for one year

Is this accurate? Do they REALLY owe $17.1 mill? Sheesh

A House subcommittee has voted to shut down South Carolina State University for a year due to ongoing budget issues that have plagued the university for years.

The House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Higher Education voted to shut down the university on July 1, 2015 for fiscal year 2015-2016 and reopen in 2017.

That plan would suspend all athletics programs, fire President Thomas Elegy, dismiss faculty and state employees, terminate the Board of Trustees.

http://www.wltx.com/story/news/educ...tee-votes-close-sc-state-university/23179483/

Last edited by a moderator:

They are footing the bill to cut out all of the debt..... its the ONLY way SCSU is going to survice..... but SCSU worried about a damn football playoff and talking about changing football conferences.

It's 2 years total.

http://www.wistv.com/story/28073756/read-full-sc-state-proviso

For Fiscal Year 2015-16, all operations and programs of the South Carolina State University shall be suspended as of July 1, 2015. It is the intent of the General Assembly that all athletic programs shall be suspended, the president shall be terminated, faculty and staff shall be dismissed, and the board of trustees shall be terminated. The university shall remain closed for one year during which time the Blue Ribbon Advisory Committee will establish a plan to reconstitute South Carolina State University by January 1, 2017; to re-hire necessary faculty, reconstitute athletic programs, and set curriculum to be offered as approved by the Commission on Higher Education so that applications for the 2017-18 school year can be accepted and the school year can begin in the fall of 2017.

They are footing the bill to cut out all of the debt..... its the ONLY way SCSU is going to survice..... but SCSU worried about a damn football playoff and talking about changing football conferences.

That's what so sad about them folks over there.

"Hey Valley and Grambling fans... your schools stayed in the news for being poor. How can you talk about SCSU, NSU and FAMU". Because our schools are nowhere near in the state that those schools are. But they worried about writing some damn letters to ESPN about the HBCU Bowl.

Still I hate it for them. If this bill passes, SCSU will lose its accreditation and it might end up like West Virginia State.

thumb-up.gif

IMO, when some HBCUs decided to chase behind a biases FCS playoff, all HBCUs started to suffer. Before then, the brand of most HBCUs athletic programs were very successful and their athletic programs wasn't a burden to other school finances.

How do you rebound from something like this? Enrollment would be catastrophic!

If someone can get into USC for two years, no way they coming back to SCSU. Their enrollment is going to take some serious body shots if they close and reopen in 2017.

I'm afraid that if this passes that the other southern states with public HBCUs will try the same thing.

This is much bigger than athletics, folks.

You do realize, per the USAToday Finance Report, SCState athletic program had accumulated a debt of ($39,118,248) for nine years (2005-2013) . That's just over a $4 million dollars per year deficit. My question is, how much could they have saved in those 9 years if their athletic program took an alternative route? If they currently owe $17.1 million, $39 million would have easily put them in the black.

I pray Grambling and SU aren't next. Bobby Jindal latest budget cut is a killer for HBCU's. 40 to 60 percent cut in each schoolS budget. If LSU is complaining, I know sU and Gsu in prayer.

Sad situation all the way around. I've been doing research on this for 30 minutes now and I'm wondering what is the issue?! How are they in so much debt? We hear about famu and their issues but this blind sided me because I foolishly bought into the whole "Meac is better off than swac " story line. This are going to "Morris brown " SC state if they close them down even for one year. Their athletics would be in shambles!

thumb-up.gif

IMO, when some HBCUs decided to chase behind a biases FCS playoff, all HBCUs started to suffer. Before then, the brand of most HBCUs athletic programs were very successful and their athletic programs wasn't a burden to other school finances.

It had the same effect integration did on our community (not saying we should go back to segregation). It diluted our family structure, self reliance, athletics, etc.

Sad situation all the way around. I've been doing research on this for 30 minutes now and I'm wondering what is the issue?! How are they in so much debt? We hear about famu and their issues but this blind sided me because I foolishly bought into the whole "Meac is better off than swac " story line. This are going to "Morris brown " SC state if they close them down even for one year. Their athletics would be in shambles!

They are 40 mil in the hole because of athletics alone. As some have said they are "Robbing Peter to Pay Paul" just to compete in the playoffs just to say "we go to the playoffs".

They are 40 mil in the hole because of athletics alone. As some have said they are "Robbing Peter to Pay Paul" just to compete in the playoffs just to say "we go to the playoffs".

You know what causes this?

Groupthink.

Guess what causes groupthink...

I pray Grambling and SU aren't next. Bobby Jindal latest budget cut is a killer for HBCU's. 40 to 60 percent cut in each schoolS budget. If LSU is complaining, I know sU and Gsu in prayer.

We already made our adjustment to Jindal's cuts and was praised for it by the State. Our enrollment increased the last 2 years and with the drop of out of state fees, it will increase again. We are not operating in years of dept.

We are not operating in years of debt.

The BIG difference between most SWAC schools and SCSU or FAMU.

The state of South Carolina definitely has a hand in this but the people running SCSU share a lot of blame in this.

We already made our adjustment to Jindal's cuts and was praised for it by the State. Our enrollment increased the last 2 years and with the drop of out of state fees, it will increase again. We are not operating in years of dept.

Exactly.....Southern does not have $17 million to $40 million in debt. And since the cuts will not only effect Southern and Grambling, I get the strange feeling that State legislators will find a way to allow State schools to write IOU's until Jindal's term is over with, which ends this year. I'm sure the next Governor will campaign on re-writing the State constitution to protect funding for state college & universities and health programs. Jindal completely destroyed the State health programs without having much to replace them and he did nothing to protect the budget for State colleges and universities when the State had a decline in revenue.

Last edited:
Back