Your school's recruiting needs?

Devil's Gun Trigger Man

onward and upward son!
We all know recruiting is the life blood on any program and now is the time that coaches are beating the bushes and up and down the highways looking for talent. With that being said, what do you feel are your team's most pressing needs?

Valley
1. Quarterback -- we lose 2 seniors who did some good things for us, but were erratic at best. I don't believe we will officially turn the corner till we get a reliable signal-caller
2. Defensive Linemen -- everybody knows that we have to replace 3/4 of our starting line, so I expect coach to maybe go the JUCO route and get some experienced kids who can play right away to go along with the SWAC's best returning interior lineman in Robert Simpson.
3. Offensive Linemen -- in football, you can NEVER have too many QUALITY offensive linemen.
4. Kicker -- we had the worst field goal % of any SWAC school last year and it definitely hurt us in many games not being able to kick fg's. I think we all saw in the SCG the importance of a reliable kicker.

Of course we have other needs, but I think these 4 are our most glaring right now.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
First thing we got to get the Coach on board. LOL.

But from a player standpoint:

1. QB (Dray Joseph will be a Sr next season and whomever the new coach is probably will want to start getting in some QBs to develop) May even need to get a transfer along with some young QBs to come in.

2. OL and DL are always a priority. The more you got the better. You can never get enough of these players.

3. RB's. We need a boat load of them. LOL. We got to be able to run the ball.

4. DBs. We got depleted to injuries towards the end of the year. We need to stock up on some DBs with some height in my opinion

5. LBs. They played better this year. But we need to get more depth

6 TEs and WRs. Depending on what type of offense we are running next year. I am sure the new coach will want some of his own type of players at this position. We have some good young WRs if they just concentrate on catching the ball. Lee Doss is back along with some other guys.

Overall, I want to see better play in the trenches. We got no pass rush on folks.

ya'll BAMAs are crazy. LOL

At JSU we have a LOT of recruiting needs but if you are just talking about for NEXT year, we need about 2-3 WRs. We have a good corp coming back but thankfully Comegy brought in some transfers and freshmen last year that helped to bail us out when we got thin. We are still thin there and we need some help. We also need a reliable kicker for FGs and PATs. The dude we have needs to be cut. We should be good at LB but we need probably 2-3 more DBs and some D-line depth since we are losing one or two along the line.

BUT I think this will be a good recruiting season for Comegy. I look for some guys who know that won't see any PT, like some of our 6 remaining QBs to transfer or quit. I think we can bring in about 30 new players and I expect to see a good amount of transfers.

..and yeah, we need an OC too. :lol:

First thing we got to get the Coach on board. LOL.

But from a player standpoint:

1. QB (Dray Joseph will be a Sr next season and whomever the new coach is probably will want to start getting in some QBs to develop) May even need to get a transfer along with some young QBs to come in.

2. OL and DL are always a priority. The more you got the better. You can never get enough of these players.

3. RB's. We need a boat load of them. LOL. We got to be able to run the ball.

4. DBs. We got depleted to injuries towards the end of the year. We need to stock up on some DBs with some height in my opinion

5. LBs. They played better this year. But we need to get more depth

6 TEs and WRs. Depending on what type of offense we are running next year. I am sure the new coach will want some of his own type of players at this position. We have some good young WRs if they just concentrate on catching the ball. Lee Doss is back along with some other guys.

Overall, I want to see better play in the trenches. We got no pass rush on folks.
I think we need safeties. Defensive Tackles are a top priority. Offensive Lineman although we had 1 senior I believe. Running backs, we need bad.

ya'll BAMAs are crazy. LOL

At JSU we have a LOT of recruiting needs but if you are just talking about for NEXT year, we need about 2-3 WRs. We have a good corp coming back but thankfully Comegy brought in some transfers and freshmen last year that helped to bail us out when we got thin. We are still thin there and we need some help. We also need a reliable kicker for FGs and PATs. The dude we have needs to be cut. We should be good at LB but we need probably 2-3 more DBs and some D-line depth since we are losing one or two along the line.

BUT I think this will be a good recruiting season for Comegy. I look for some guys who know that won't see any PT, like some of our 6 remaining QBs to transfer or quit. I think we can bring in about 30 new players and I expect to see a good amount of transfers.

..and yeah, we need an OC too. :lol:

TP. Isn't your entire DL Srs this year? I thought that is what they said. Your front 4 were all Srs.

I think we need safeties. Defensive Tackles are a top priority. Offensive Lineman although we had 1 senior I believe. Running backs, we need bad.

DBs we had some get hurt. But there are numbers there on the bench that are young. But we do need to recruit more of them. Bigger and physical DBs in my opinion. DL and OL depth is always something we should recruit. The DL needs some playmakers along the line. We can't hardly buy a sack at times. No pressure at all.

1. QB coach
2. DC
3. Entire DL
4. Some more DL
5. Additional DL
6. Unpredictable play calling while in the opponent's redzone.
7. Strength, speed, quickness, tenacity.

Get those addressed and PV goes undefeated fall 2013. the other pieces are there and the "super sophs" are the backbone of the team. :read:

1. QB coach
2. DC
3. Entire DL
4. Some more DL
5. Additional DL
6. Unpredictable play calling while in the opponent's redzone.
7. Strength, speed, quickness, tenacity.

Get those addressed and PV goes undefeated fall 2013. the other pieces are there and the "super sophs" are the backbone of the team. :read:

As long as Mark Orlando is your OC. Your poor defense will have to be studs.

DBs we had some get hurt. But there are numbers there on the bench that are young. But we do need to recruit more of them. Bigger and physical DBs in my opinion. DL and OL depth is always something we should recruit. The DL needs some playmakers along the line. We can't hardly buy a sack at times. No pressure at all.

We have some ballers in Florida we are recruiting. I don't know if they sign now because of the coaching situation but they are getting offers from all kind of BCS schools.

TP. Isn't your entire DL Srs this year? I thought that is what they said. Your front 4 were all Srs.

I think the two DTs are. Before our APR issues, Comegy's forte was recruiting some good DTs. One thing that does not worry me is Comegy and recruiting. Now, once they hit the field, that's a different story. Now that we know how to properly recruit transfers, I look for Comegy to make up for a few bodies that we are missing by going the tranfer route. Most of our defense is young and on offense, we lose some linemen and Rico but losing Rico is huge. However, Rico was just a freshman once and we have some young guys ready to step up.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I think the two DTs are. Before our APR issues, Comegy's forte was recruiting some good DTs. One thing that does not worry me is Comegy and recruiting. Now, once they hit the field, that's a different story. Now that we know how to properly recruit transfers, I look for Comegy to make up for a few bodies that we are missing by going the tranfer route. Most of our defense is young and on offense, we lose some linemen and Rico but losing Rico is huge. However, Rico was just a freshman once and we have some young guys ready to step up.

Yeah Rico is a big loss. However WRs are easier to recruit on our level than other positions.

As for your DL. I thought your DEs are Srs too. Isn't LeBeau done this year?

Yeah Rico is a big loss. However WRs are easier to recruit on our level than other positions.

As for your DL. I thought your DEs are Srs too. Isn't LeBeau done this year?

Yeah, he is. The starters may all be senoirs but I didn't think so. Regardless, that has always been a recruiting strength for us. We have had a sorry MLB for 4 years but he is done now too! :flippy:

Yeah, he is. The starters may all be senoirs but I didn't think so. Regardless, that has always been a recruiting strength for us. We have had a sorry MLB for 4 years but he is done now too! :flippy:

LOL. You are talking about the local kid Hill from Murrah?

Yeah they kept harping on your DL being all Sr starters. I didn't know that. But that was a strength. At least you got your best corner Cox and best LB in Wilcher back next season.

6 DLs
5 OLs
4 DBs
3 LBs

This thread turned into a disaster last year. I hope it stays above the board this time

6 DLs
5 OLs
4 DBs
3 LBs

This thread turned into a disaster last year. I hope it stays above the board this time

Are those the number of Srs you lose at those positions? I thought your DBs were pretty young.

We all know recruiting is the life blood on any program and now is the time that coaches are beating the bushes and up and down the highways looking for talent. With that being said, what do you feel are your team's most pressing needs?

Valley
1. Quarterback -- we lose 2 seniors who did some good things for us, but were erratic at best. I don't believe we will officially turn the corner till we get a reliable signal-caller
2. Defensive Linemen -- everybody knows that we have to replace 3/4 of our starting line, so I expect coach to maybe go the JUCO route and get some experienced kids who can play right away to go along with the SWAC's best returning interior lineman in Robert Simpson.
3. Offensive Linemen -- in football, you can NEVER have too many QUALITY offensive linemen.
4. Kicker -- we had the worst field goal % of any SWAC school last year and it definitely hurt us in many games not being able to kick fg's. I think we all saw in the SCG the importance of a reliable kicker.

Of course we have other needs, but I think these 4 are our most glaring right now.

The strength of the team was the defense specifically the DLine...do you expect Valley to turn the corner next year with those players gone or are you back to ground zero?

Are those the number of Srs you lose at those positions? I thought your DBs were pretty young.

No...Im thinking about replacing players and stocking at those positions. We were very lean at the DB position this year. Hughes got hurt in the PB game, plus next year is Camerons and Coxs last year. The other corner has been a sore spot all year long. In the SU game, the kid that gave up that TD to Berry on the second play of the game didnt see the field again for the rest of the year. I think they killed and buried him or something.

The whole Dline is gone except #41 who is going to be a beast. LeBeau Billups Conner and #97 are all gone. If Comegy is still here I expect him to replace all of those players just like before especially with a full allotment of scholarships.

Valley

From the horses mouth

“We need to get some D-linemen,” Comegy said, “guys out of the JUCO ranks that can come in here and help us right away. (We need) some defensive backs, maybe another linebacker and a few more offensive linemen, a few more receivers.

“I think we should be set from there.”

Back