Your Predictions for the BATTLE FOR FIRST...JSU v. MVSU

No Comments From The VALLEY!!!!!!!!!!! Wait and See Please!

GO MISS. VALLEY STATE DELTA DEVILETTES and DELTA DEVILS!!!
LET's GO FIGHT WIN !!! BEAT THOSE TIGERS
D E F E N S E is the KEY!!!!

Cavil's Classic Cuts HBCU Baskeball Poll - Division I
By TSPN News Service

Email this article
Printer friendly page

TSPN (SWACPAGE.com) & Cavil's Classic Cuts Basketball
HBCU Major Program Top 10 (1-26-2004)
Presented By:
The Heritage Group (THG Agency, LLC),
A Consulting Sports Management, Agency

Name--------------------Record-1PV-Points-PWR-Last Game-(1-24-04-W/L-Opp.)
1. Miss. Valley State--(11-5)-(4)---93----1---(Lost to Texas Southern, 61-59)
2. Texas Southern------(8-8)--(3)---89----2---(Beat Miss Valley State, 61-59)
3. Jackson State-------(8-8)--(1)---87----5---(Beat Grambling State, 84-63)
4. S.C. State----------(8-8)--(1)---81----7---(Beat Bethune-Cookman, 62-57)
5. Coppin State--------(8-11)-(1)---53----4---(Beat Maryland-Eastern Shore, 68-42)
6. Delaware State------(7-8)--------45----8---(Beat Hampton, 65-56)
7. Southern------------(7-9)--------29----3---(Lost to Alabama A&M, 61-58)
8. Morgan State--------(6-8)--------22----6---(Did Not Play)
9. Florida A&M---------(6-10)-------11----9---(Beat N.C. A&T State, 74-55)
10. Alabama A&M---------(5-9)--------9----NR---(Beat Southern, 61-58)

Dropped Out Of Rankings: Hampton-(5-12)

Receiving Votes: Alcorn State-(4-10)-8, Prairie View A & M-(3-12)-6,
Norfolk State-(4-12)-5, Tennessee State-(4-13)-2,
Howard-(4-12)-1, Grambling State-(4-13)-1

PWR = Previous Weeks Ranking
1PV = 1st Place Votes
LG = Last Game
Major = NCAA Division I

I'on know. I am pulling for my Tigers to pull it off, but we do know how Valley gets when their crowd gets in the game..........smh at last year.:(

Originally posted by mighty hornet
Valley by 20 or more

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I should've known, MH!lol

NT, you should have put this thread on the Smack Board b/c you know at least one poster is going to let his true colors show. (hint, hint)

But anyway, I can't call it. Man, I'm hoping I can make my way up there. What I do know is that both teams will surpass 80 (without an OT). If we can avoid a shooting lapse like we had against SU we will win easily. Our defense will be there in full effect, just like Valley's offense will.

The first team to 80 wins.

BTW, who does Bama State play Sat.? Ohhh, I forgot.....no one cares!:emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

Im not really going for either but hay, oh well...

I think MVSU has a little edge over JSU...but we'll see

Jackson State, Valley on collision course for 1st place

Jackson State, Valley on collision course for 1st place

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

Jackson State has won three straight and seven of its last eight games.

Mississippi Valley State has won seven of its last eight.

Both sit tied atop the Southwestern Athletic Conference with identical 6-1 marks.

Something has to give when the teams meet Saturday night in Itta Bena, and if history holds true neither the Tigers or Delta Devils figure to be in a very giving mood ? especially with first place in the league riding on the outcome.

"We're on a collision course," first-year JSU coach Tevester Anderson said.

It's a mid-season showdown players, coaches, fans and others around the league have been talking about and anticipating for weeks. Come early or don't come at all, warns Mississippi Valley State coach Lafayette Stribling.

"If the fire marshal shows up, he'll probably have to turn a couple of thousand away," Stribling said. "It's going to be packed. You better be there by 5 p.m. or you may not get in. But it'll be worth the wait.

"It's going to be a heckuva game. There's so much riding on it. Bragging rights would be enough. Now you've got first place up for grabs, too."

Valley, 12-5, had won six straight, including a neutral floor win over Big 10 member Northwestern, before losing 61-59 at Texas Southern on Saturday. The Delta Devils bounced back from that setback by trouncing Prairie View 94-63 two nights later.

Meanwhile, JSU, 8-8, has lost just once this month, a 14-point setback at Southern. The Tigers have since won three straight at home over Prairie View, Texas Southern and Grambling.

Anderson expects a hostile environment inside the tiny Harrison Complex, which can accommodate a standing room only crowd of somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000 fans.

"It's a crackerbox," Anderson said. "The fans will be sitting right on top of us. Neither I nor the team is apprehensive about going up there. This is the type of game you coach for."

Stribling and Anderson, longtime friends, will be coaching against each other for the first time since they matched wits over four decades ago as high school coaches at South Leake and Rogers High in Canton, respectively.

"We've got some great memories," Anderson said. "I'm looking forward to going up against Strib again."

"I've known T for the biggest part of his life," Stribling said. "He's a good teacher and a good motivator. He knows how to get the job done."

Stribling has been "highly impressed" with Jackson State, which has ridden its highly-effective 1-2-2 zone defense and guards Ishmael Joyce and K.C. Cavette to a surprising start in league play.

"They're on a roll right now," Stribling said. "They are playing with a lot of confidence. We're going to have to bring our A-game."

Valley, led by preseason SWAC player of the year Attarrius Norwood and versatile guards Edward Mack and Solomon Forbes, has brought its A-game more times than not this season. The Delta Devils lead the league in scoring offense, scoring defense, scoring margin, field goal percentage defense, turnover margin and 3-pointers made per game.

"You look at every important statistical category and Valley is No. 1," Anderson said. "That tells you they are a good basketball team.

"I don't think there's any doubt, Valley is the most talented team in the conference. But the most talented team doesn't always win. The best team wins. Hopefully, we can be the best team that night. But we're going to have to play our best to have a chance."

Valley swept JSU last season, winning 73-71 in Jackson courtesy of a 15-footer at the buzzer by Norwood and 85-78 in Itta Bena. The Tigers found themselves down by 14 at halftime in that game after getting caught up in an uptempo game the Delta Devils thrive in.

"You definitely don't want to get in an all out run and gun game with them, especially at their place; that's a no-brainer," Anderson said. "We're going to have to play good solid defense, and try to limit some of the things they like to do."

Valley is the best team we will play for the rest of the season. Valley fans are gonna be deep and rowdy but the JSU contengent will be deep as well.

JSU by 10

JSU by I don't know and don't care.

Just win, baby!!

Al Davis send help.

*I wonder if mighty hornet or pbla would predict Valley to beat their teams by such large margins*

Originally posted by mighty hornet
Valley by 20 or more

:goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof:
MH ................... YOU ARE PRICELESS. :bawling:

Valley and JSU always have tough games.................... DON'T MATTER WHERE IT'S PLAYED. Home court will be an advantage, but in this one ............... not much.

JSU BY 6. Game go to the wire. :D :cool:

Get Ready has to go see this one himself.

And as far as that pole goes....
JSU beat Texas Southern, we have identical records, yet they are still ranked higher huh? I guess thats what you call home cooking. Thats some SWAC office picking there. Sad

JSU kept it close for the first half.
and then....
Originally posted by Robber
*I wonder if mighty hornet or pbla would predict Valley to beat their teams by such large margins*
No I wouldn't, with the type of slow down "offense" of ASU usually runs.

Originally posted by Get Ready
Get Ready has to go see this one for himself.
:snicker:

btw, on Saturday night, ESPN was showing the final score as JSU 44 Valley 17. :retard:
I had cursed Valley.
I didn't see the real score until yesterday evening.

Back