Your Favorite Prince track!

cat daddy said:
I would say especially amongst black folks. Even today I hear blacks down play his talent.

Very true. I was tempted to say the same but I was trying to be kind to my brothers.

LOL, I think a lot has to do with what I call our "guitar allergy". Many blacks align guitar play-- especially electric guitar play-- with rock N' roll and somehow with white culture. Nevermind the fact that it was black folks who invented rock N' roll..... :rolleyes:

The thing I enjoyed most about the Image Awards performance is the fact he finally let it rip on a guitar solo. He usually holds back when performing before mainstream audiences. (BTW, if ya'll liked the Image Awards performance, you'd LOVE his Rock N' roll Hall of Fame tribute performance. He acted a straight fool on the guitar!!!! :what: I was actually a bit embarassed for the guys who had the misfortune of being on stage with him during the finale.)

I think Prince's greatest contribution to music was his ability to fuse rock and funk, which greatly explains his crossover appeal.

FAB5 said:
Our folks have always been slow to show appreciation of our music. Just pick a genre (jazz, reggae, blues) and you'll see more of the other folks at the concerts than us. Not to mention rock, see how many of us that you know can name one Jimi Hendrix song. :lol:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

HBCUs said:
The thing I enjoyed most about the Image Awards performance is the fact he finally let it rip on a guitar solo. He usually holds back when performing before mainstream audiences. (BTW, if ya'll liked the Image Awards performance, you'd LOVE his Rock N' roll Hall of Fame tribute performance. He acted a straight fool on the guitar!!!! :what:

F'sho!!!!!...I still watch that performance (taped it) trying to pick up the chords and licks. :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

I agree about black people and guitaritis I went to see Prince perform at Essence which he turned out he brought out Shelia E, Chaka Kahn,Maceo Parker, and Larry Graham but when he went into his guitar solo the people around me left saying he "Prince gone crazy with dat guitar" I told my date they couldn't be real Prince fans.

cat daddy said:
Say that again. Man you can charm the panties off a nun with that song. :D

:nod:
:shh: You so silly. :lmao: You will shut yo mouth "rite" NOW.

Anyway, I don't know how I missed this thread. I'll just list two.

Adore
Do Me Baby

It should be a shame to have put those lyrics with music. :shame: :bawling: :smh: ;)

JSTUS said:
:nod:
:shh: You so silly. :lmao: You will shut yo mouth "rite" NOW.

Anyway, I don't know how I missed this thread. I'll just list two.

Adore
Do Me Baby

It should be a shame to have put those lyrics with music. :shame: :bawling: :smh: ;)

Do I have a witness???!!! :swink: :ebrow:

bigtyme2 said:
I agree about black people and guitaritis I went to see Prince perform at Essence which he turned out he brought out Shelia E, Chaka Kahn,Maceo Parker, and Larry Graham but when he went into his guitar solo the people around me left saying he "Prince gone crazy with dat guitar" I told my date they couldn't be real Prince fans.
Our people man, :smh:.I bet that wouldn't have said that if he was playing a saxophone solo. I agree with yall about Black people not liking guitar solos. An African American invented the electric guitar (Bo Diddley). Jimi Hendrix showed the world how a electric guitar supposed to be played. Remember Ernie Isley guitar solo in ATLANTIS;I'm sure everyone appreciate that solo. ATLANTIS would not be ATLANTIS if that solo was omitted.
Our people need to realize that instrumentalist put much work into the art to achieve perfection just like singers do.

AMEN :tup:

...most of our people are NOT well-rounded; therefore, they're not aware of different things. We need to venture out of our shells more.

I disagree with this statement somewhat. It's not black people..it's the younger generation in general. You don't see instrumentalists anymore. Everything is done on a keyboard in the studio these days. Black people are still hip to guitar, drum, piano, sax, etc solos. It's the B2K BUMP BUMP BUMP generation that is missing out.

pbla said:
Our people man, :smh:.I bet that wouldn't have said that if he was playing a saxophone solo. I agree with yall about Black people not liking guitar solos. An African American invented the electric guitar (Bo Diddley). Jimi Hendrix showed the world how a electric guitar supposed to be played. Remember Ernie Isley guitar solo in ATLANTIS;I'm sure everyone appreciate that solo. ATLANTIS would not be ATLANTIS if that solo was omitted.
Our people need to realize that instrumentalist put much work into the art to achieve perfection just like singers do.

pbla said:
Prince is the winner in concert gross revenue for 2004. His genius is always creating a new sound. But my favorite cut from him is DIAMOND AND PEARLS.

I loved most of them, but DO ME BABY is my all time favorite.

pbla said:
Remember Ernie Isley guitar solo in ATLANTIS;I'm sure everyone appreciate that solo. ATLANTIS would not be ATLANTIS if that solo was omitted.

And "Who's That Lady" too. Can't forget that one.

Preach pbla..... :bowdown:
Ya'll have no idea how much flack I've taken from
us because of my Lenny Kravitz addiction (not to mention
my enjoyment of Garth Brooks, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and
Yo-Yo Ma, etc.). From small minds come small ranges of thinking.

<center>
prince.jpg

My Absolute Favorite Prince Song Is:
Adore
....this song could get a dead man laid
:p</center>

Other favorites:
So Blue
Dirty Mind
I Wanna Be Your Lover
Do Me, Baby
Controversy
Let's Pretend We're Married
Purple Rain (Entire Cd)
Soft and Wet
America
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man

~Astrya

I liked the whole Batman Soundtrack
Gett Off
Diamonds & Pearls (the whole album)
Pop Life
Kiss
Rasberry Beret(that song would crank if a band would arrange it)
Lets Go Crazy
Purple Rain(especially the musical ending :tup: )
Erotic City(Oh yeah!! :ebrow: :ebrow: )

Back