Yellow flags all over the place on the terrorists in Iraq.

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
These mugz pull the anonimous caller into the police station indicating where insurgents are hold up(supposedly) only for the police to get there in full force and get blown away in a boobi-trapped house. :eek: Now das cold. das below the belt BUT,, all's fair in war if you are fighting the "infidels" and collaberators i guess; kinda like when the U.S. was fighting Britian for independence and started learning new tactics from the indians that allowed a woefully outnumbered and outgunned upstart military and patch-work of militias to defeat the then greatest military power on the planet. fewh. the irony of it all.

Bart...

do you really expect anything less in war??? This is not just war; It's probably the most unconventional one that we've been in since Vietnam...This is urban warfare; It's house to house and the definitive "enemy" changes every day, as do the tactics...

Unfortunately, this is what 21st century conflicts are gonna look like from now on...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Bartram said:
These mugz pull the anonimous caller into the police station indicating where insurgents are hold up(supposedly) only for the police to get there in full force and get blown away in a boobi-trapped house. :eek: Now das cold. das below the belt BUT,, all's fair in war if you are fighting the "infidels" and collaberators i guess; kinda like when the U.S. was fighting Britian for independence and started learning new tactics from the indians that allowed a woefully outnumbered and outgunned upstart military and patch-work of militias to defeat the then greatest military power on the planet. fewh. the irony of it all.

This is why I opposed the war. Many of us from the Vietnam era remember vividly the SE Asia conflict that tore this country apart and continues to do so. We lost the freaking war without ever losing a battle. The neo-cons and their vision won out over the "Powell Doctrine". The Powell Doctrine was established from lessons learned from Vietnam. Now we are occupying a country and involved in an armed insurgency with no end in sight. :shame:

JC, I felt the same way. A lot of military men were not too fond of the war at the beginning. Some have said that the cause is lost. BTW no WMDs have been found.

EB said:
JC, I felt the same way. A lot of military men were not too fond of the war at the beginning. Some have said that the cause is lost. BTW no WMDs have been found.

EB, thanks. Most countries on earth have WMD. We had Iraq contained with Bush 41 and Clinton supported no fly zone. Iraq was not a threat to this country. Anything that moved in the country we killed. Nothing that have transcribed in the last couple years in OIF is surprising. It has all been very perdictable. Most senior military/diplomatic members realized this early. I have come to respect the decision of the American public and it can be wrong (thanks Warren Rudman). They elected to stay the course in Iraq. The upcoming Iraqi elections are critical. However, I don't see the elections pacifying this turmultous land. When it's all over, the real winner will be the mullahs in Iran. The other alternative will be a partitioned Iraq consisting of the kurds, Shiites, and Sunni. The second senario would result after a civil war. Either way we are stuck in a land that does not want us there.

J C said:
This is why I opposed the war. Many of us from the Vietnam era remember vividly the SE Asia conflict that tore this country apart and continues to do so. We lost the freaking war without ever losing a battle. The neo-cons and their vision won out over the "Powell Doctrine". The Powell Doctrine was established from lessons learned from Vietnam. Now we are occupying a country and involved in an armed insurgency with no end in sight. :shame:

I think the bigger problem is the U.S. trying to handle post-war Iraq to suit the free press media and various political factions in this country (which picks the army to pieces on the slightest mistake and which is arguably critical, to say the least, of this administration) and everybody in the world except for the forces on the ground that want to do the job and get it over with.

Interesting quote from Saddam:
"By God, spare us your evil. Pick up your goods and leave. We do not need an atomic bomb. We have the dual chemical. Let them take note of this. We have the dual chemical. It exists in Iraq."
Saddam on the Israeli, US, and UK intelligence services and Iraq?s development of binary CW munitions in a speech on 2 April 1990.

Bartram said:
I think the bigger problem is the U.S. trying to handle post-war Iraq to suit the free press media and various political factions in this country (which picks the army to pieces on the slightest mistake and which is arguably critical, to say the least, of this administration) and everybody in the world except for the forces on the ground that want to do the job and get it over with.

"By God, spare us your evil. Pick up your goods and leave. We do not need an atomic bomb. We have the dual chemical. Let them take note of this. We have the dual chemical. It exists in Iraq."
Saddam on the Israeli, US, and UK intelligence services and Iraq?s development of binary CW munitions in a speech on 2 April 1990.

That's the pickle Mr. Bush have gotten us in. The media is no different than the one that brought us the Vietnam war. It's just more high tech and faster. The Vietnam War was the first televised war. The media is a part of the equation. But unlike a campaign where you control the message of the day, you cannot control the headlines coming out of an ongoing war.

Bush has staked his legacy on this one. Only time will tell if its sucessful. Similar attempts in history have met with failure. There are no historic models in this area except by the Turks who were brutal during their empire era. Authoritarian rule has been the most successful in the region. A working "democracy" in this area will place Bush 43 in the company of Roosevelt, Lincoln and Truman.

Bart, Saddam deceived his own people. He believed the Iranians were more of a threat than the U.S. He may become a a part of the resolution to the Sunni/shiite conflict.

crazylegs said:
...this is what 21st century conflicts are gonna look like from now on...

not necessarily true

guerilla strategies and tactics have been used for ages - dating back even to the Samnites in their efforts to resist the imperial might of Rome

the Haitians used it against Napoleon, the Spanish, and the British

the Spanish used it against Napoleon

the Cubans used it against the Spanish

the Vietnamese used it against the French, the US

the Minute Men used it against the British

both the Partisans and the Chetniks used it against the Germans in WWII

et cetera

Bartram said:

The first problem is that we are not in post-war Iraq as much as this administration wants Americans to believe - the war is still going on - it has never stopped.

I have never understood why western governments play nice when fighting terrorist / wars - they kill innocent people - we have to do the same. Its time to go after them, bomb mosques during Friday prayers, go after them where they live and worship. You can?t play clean and win - this is Vietnam all over again --- you have a military that?s fighting WWII and Korea. WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most Americans don?t care because it?s not their children.

Olde Hornet said:
The first problem is that we are not in post-war Iraq as much as this administration wants Americans to believe - the war is still going on - it has never stopped.

Amen!!

Olde Hornet said:

?Excellent point!

Olde Hornet in the Pell Grant thread said:
See what he does, not what he says - this president is really good at saying things - but trick is - the followup. This president knows that the american people dont have a long attention span, so he knows he can say things and americans thinks he did something and in reality it never happens.

Back