Yard Time '10

Suge

The Phat Mack
It is time to start working on your yard. You need to start doing your soil test, to make sure you didn't over fertilize last year, and now is time to spread some lime and pre-emergent fertilzer/weedkiller. If you left your grass tall over the winter (I did to absorb the pounding of my puppies), you may want to cut it down to about an inch before you spread you pre-emrege.

Any place you don't want grass to grow? Now is the time to remove it, before it starts to turn green. Or spray so Round up.

Got low spots, start working in your sand to build it up.

By the end of March, we will start to get green lawns in the South. I will then hit my grass with some Triple 13, so I can take advatage of the spring rains. Then I will start to work in the Scott's Turf Builder by Late April.

Your turn Fiyah.....

Last edited:

Got low spots, start working in your sand to build it up.

Definitely need to get on that. I've noticed some low spots since all the snow has melted.

Can't wait to see it green and plushy, which will equate to a crawfish boil. :D

I'm not giving up anymore trade secrets..........

The greater Houston area's trade secret is that y'all get more rain than any other location in Tx. :| Drive 10 mins west of Ft Worth and it's nothing but desert. :| I didn't understand why I had to work so extra hard or why things would green up when travelling 45 south until you got to that Buffalo area towards the coast.

Y'all cheatin' Fi! All y'all down there cheatin'! :slap:

PS: I used 2 differing forms of weed killer yesterday, since the things are already in full bloom :retard:, and I'll be damned if it didn't rain earlier and wash all that 70+$ worth of chemicals away. :retard:

The greater Houston area's trade secret is that y'all get more rain than any other location in Tx. :| Drive 10 mins west of Ft Worth and it's nothing but desert. :| I didn't understand why I had to work so extra hard or why things would green up when travelling 45 south until you got to that Buffalo area towards the coast.

PS: I used 2 differing forms of weed killer yesterday, since the things are already in full bloom :retard:, and I'll be damned if it didn't rain earlier and wash all that 70+$ worth of chemicals away. :retard:

You ain't lyin. I can sit on my arse and my lawn will look pretty good. :lol:

Unfortunately I had to dig up my yard to fix a burst pipe so I have some work to do. :shame:

hell Iwas cutting down trees in my backyard this past Saturday...I'll officially start on the lawn this Saturday with the pre-emergence...or maybe I'll just call Chemlawn lol

Hell we had all kinds of drought last year.......you saw how my lawn got, but I got that touch to make it good.

My yard was looking so good sunday after we cut it. Put them new wheels on the mower and I need to put another blade on it too so it will cut better. Got a new blade put on the edger and it cuts like a champ.

I'll have to post some pics for ya'll to see......but you know how I roll so you can imagine how good it looks.

Man I am on it this year, plus the entire neighborhood is rolling. They all punked out and got chem lawn, I resisted and stuck with my "good ole boy" rutine and my yard looks great. Weeds are gone, and ready for my third cycle of fertilizer to get it ready for the summer heat!

My new lawn sprinkler...........It's a John Deer

4579976843_3a22886070_m.jpg

By the way, look at that luscious green lawn

Man my yard sucks this year. :shame: I have been traveling so much that I didn't have time to do anything to it to much of last year, nor prep in the winter. I messed around an got this annual blue grass stuff in my yard, now I am forced to treat it and try to reseed this summer. I am pissed.:(:upset:

I've resodded parts of the yard w/ St Aug. :| Yeh, I'm cheating. This damned Bermuda is about to wear my old ass out. I finally got rid of the weeds (FINALLY!!) and noticed too many holes so I got a dump truck load of sand and 2 pallets of St Aug and laid it down 2 weeks ago. We'll see what's what in a few weeks (month or so).

You mean your new Toy! What happen to the $5 sprinkler system? :argue2:

:fart:

I've resodded parts of the yard w/ St Aug. :| Yeh, I'm cheating. This damned Bermuda is about to wear my old ass out. I finally got rid of the weeds (FINALLY!!) and noticed too many holes so I got a dump truck load of sand and 2 pallets of St Aug and laid it down 2 weeks ago. We'll see what's what in a few weeks (month or so).

Make sure you water it so it will take and get going.......

Some pix of the deal I took this morning while on the way to work during a.m. watering session

Attachments

• lushlikeacarpet.jpg
    lushlikeacarpet.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 9
  • waterlikeagolfcourse.jpg
    waterlikeagolfcourse.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 10
  • newsprnklrhds.jpg
    newsprnklrhds.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 10
  • backyard.jpg
    backyard.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 10
I guess these 2 things I did for the 1st time here worked. :confused:

1. Overseeded w/ Bermuda ~4 weeks ago.
1a. Ensured no bugs eating on roots (grubs) so Malathion/Triazicide
1b. Used a lawd disease control (yard stayed wet so desired to minimize mold/mildew, etc)
2. Used a much, much cheaper priced fertilizer from Ace lol of all places that has greened the HELL out of the yard. Home Depot/Lowes were always my store, along w/ a gardening ctr that went out of business last fall. :(

So, the truth comes out in a few weeks when the temps hit 95+ degrees consistently. :tup:

Also, I'm trying something totally different this year. Last year and years prior, I'd water only in the evenings @ ~10-12mins each zone. I decided to split that up and water twice daily (8:30pm and 6am) @ 5-6mins each zone. Same volume, just spreading out the session and hopefully providing the greens some type of relief from the n-tx heat.

P88, can you come help me install a sprinkler system like yours in my yard?

P88, can you come help me install a sprinkler system like yours in my yard?

I've practiced only ONCE Fi and am still learning the ins and outs. I wasn't here when ol' boy 'nem installed this deal but, I've had to do maintenance (myself) this year and in doing so, I've learnt quite a bit. The dummies installed them in such a way that there wasn't 100% coverage, only 50-60% so I was still using a waterhose and oscillating sprinkler. How dumb. :tdown:

Damned 1/4" flex pipe (that bends, curves coupled w/ the correct risers :read: and heads for the application w/ those control valves/control module (that is where the learning must occur). THAT is what I think it calls for. I installed a very small deal in my mother's classmates new crib a while back but it uses only 2 LARGE oscillating heads that gives 80% coverage, the other 20% uncovered is due to where the arcs of coverage don't intersect :( : front yd only.

I may have a DVD that you can borrow for pointers next time I see ya'.

Looks nice......what kind of grass is that?

Time to get rid of that water heater...LOL

Looks nice......what kind of grass is that?

Time to get rid of that water heater...LOL

Thanks Fiyah! That is fescue grass, and yeah, that water heater goes on the next pickup from the county. That bad boy just went out.....hehehehe!

Back