XM or Sirius Satellite Radio?

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
Which do you have and why? Are you happy with your selection? Why or why not? I'm about to get one of them and would like the opinions TSPNers. Thanks.

I have had Sirius in Hertz rental cars - its nice, but I am not ready to pay for radio. I like Howard Stern, but I am still not ready to pay. I wont say never, becuase who would have ever thought I would have a monthly cable bill thats almost enough to pay off the national debt. :nod2:

I have XM only because the radio that came with my vehicle was XM compatitble. But I think Sirius is better simply because it gives you more channels per genre of music.

I debating which one I want. I like the sports radio offerings from XM, but Sirrius has the NFL package.

Bartram,

That is a tough decision and I am very interested in the decision that you chose.

Why don't you tell us about what you read so far about each provider and which way you are leaning.

What the price for each one? How many stations does hit one have?

cat daddy said:
I debating which one I want. I like the sports radio offerings from XM, but Sirrius has the NFL package.

Sirrius does have the NFL package, which would be a good to have if you have to travel far to a SWAC game because you can listen to NFL games on your way back home that Sunday. ESPNNews usually gives you whats going on on all games that are in play, which is sometimes better than listening to one game.

I think Sirrius has a year contract, whereas XM does not.

I wish XM radio had a SWAC football package.

Da_Sperm said:
Sirrius does have the NFL package, which would be a good to have if you have to travel far to a SWAC game because you can listen to NFL games on your way back home that Sunday. ESPNNews usually gives you whats going on on all games that are in play, which is sometimes better than listening to one game.

I think Sirrius has a year contract, whereas XM does not.

I wish XM radio had a SWAC football package.

That's one of the reasons I'm leaning towards XM because I really enjoy the coverage Fox Sports Radio provides on Sundays during the NFL Season. I don't think FSR is carried on Sirrius.

pv_symbiotic said:
Bartram,

That is a tough decision and I am very interested in the decision that you chose.

Why don't you tell us about what you read so far about each provider and which way you are leaning.

What the price for each one? How many stations does hit one have?

The #1 thing that sticks out immediately for me (other than no HBCU football) is i don't see advertising for an SEC package on either. XM has ACC, PAC-10, Big Ten, but I can't really tell what Sirius has. They just call theirs College Sports Radio.

Seems to me XM has more categories of music: Decades, country, pop & hits, Christian, Rock, Hip-Hop & urban, Jazz & blues, Lifestyle, dance, Latin, World & classic. Sirius has Pop, Rock, Coutnry, HH, R&B/Urban, Electronic/Dance, Jazz/Standards, Classic, Latin and World. It's virtually no difference though when you reall look at it.

I see Kids programming on XM which I don't see on Sirius, but I know it's probably there.

They both really seem to be pretty much the same other than who they offer specifically which kinda boils down to your personal choice. I'm leaning towards XM because I've heard Jim Rome may be going to XM and I've lost my Jim Rome Access in Montgomery. The main reason I was interested in Sirius was because of the NFL and SEC football hopefully being there, but I figure I can get the NFL news on XM and since I'm living in Alabama it won't kill me not to have access to SEC football because I can get that on every local channel. If I was still living in California i'd have to go with Sirius hands down, but being in Alabama, XM is like San Antonio vs Detroit right now,, up 2 games on Sirius!

sincerely, Spurs fan :lmao:

Bartram said:
Seems to me XM has more categories of music: Decades, country, pop & hits, Christian, Rock, Hip-Hop & urban, Jazz & blues, Lifestyle, dance, Latin, World & classic. Sirius has Pop, Rock, Coutnry, HH, R&B/Urban, Electronic/Dance, Jazz/Standards, Classic, Latin and World. It's virtually no difference though when you reall look at it.

I see Kids programming on XM which I don't see on Sirius, but I know it's probably there.

Hold up as far as categories of music, I would say that Sirius has more. Sirius has the categories listed above plus 4 ole school stations, a gospel channel, kids music channels and other music channels that I do not listen to. As far as the sports channel that will even out with time just like cable and satellite carry ESPN.

Bottom its your money do what you like. I am a big Sirius fan, if you like XM then go that route. I have not seen anyone regret their choice wheather it is Sirius or XM.

Sad to hear that you are a Jim Rome fan.

pv_symbiotic said:
Hold up as far as categories of music, I would say that Sirius has more. Sirius has the categories listed above plus 4 ole school stations, a gospel channel, kids music channels and other music channels that I do not listen to. As far as the sports channel that will even out with time just like cable and satellite carry ESPN.

Bottom its your money do what you like. I am a big Sirius fan, if you like XM then go that route. I have not seen anyone regret their choice wheather it is Sirius or XM.

Sad to hear that you are a Jim Rome fan.

yeah, it would follow that both are continuously striking deals, adding content. Not surprised.

man Jim Rome RULES!!! What you got against Jim Rome?! LOL!!

Olde Hornet said:
Bart - let us know which one you choose. Is there a price difference?

I don't see much of a difference. it's a shell game it seems once you take in to account the "buy one, get one free". It's looking more and more like XM for me.

I currently work for XM Satellite in D.C. I do consulting work there. I prefer Sirius Satellite Radio over XM. I have sirius satellite Radio with the dish network and they seem to have a better selection of music. Since I'm doing consulting work for XM, I get a chance to listen to their music selections and I'm not that Impressed. I know that this is a bad thing to say if I work there:).

Olde Hornet said:
Bart - Which one did you buy? Are you happy with it?

XM. ABSOLUTELY. Best thing since the computer and high-speed internet! driving to and from work now is a pleasure.

Bartram said:
XM. ABSOLUTELY. Best thing since the computer and high-speed internet! driving to and from work now is a pleasure.
I just bought the Delphi XM Roadie2. Can't wait to get home and install it

Man the clarity is excellent!!! Easy install also. I recommend XM plus they have an African American Channel that discuss issues concerning us.

Hey....anyonel else buying a Satellite Radio? I saw this weekend at Circuit City Sirius was selling for $50 after a rebate. What is on Sirius now?

Smiley said:
Hey....anyonel else buying a Satellite Radio? I saw this weekend at Circuit City Sirius was selling for $50 after a rebate. What is on Sirius now?
Same promotion as XM sounds like.

Back