Wwyd?

BluBlood

"Mississippi Woman"
story.fathers.duty.ap.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/03/04/fathers.duty.ap/index.html

By now we all know the story, which would you choose? Would your decision be that difficult?

tit.gif

I guess it's part of being a woman and a mother, but the military can KMA when it comes to my child.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
"As the family struggled with Dillon's diagnosis, the Marines offered Sellers a desk job at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, a small desert town 140 miles east of Los Angeles, California. "

I would have taken the desk job for a month to at least be by my spouse's side and for my son. If it was "apparent" that the child would die within days as stated in this article, I'd definitely be there until the end. Personally, I could not concentrate in battle thinking about my baby at home.

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag
I would have taken the desk job for a month to at least be by my spouse's side and for my son. If it was "apparent" that the child would die within days as stated in this article, I'd definitely be there until the end. Personally, I could not concentrate in battle thinking about my baby at home.

I agree.

Why is he running because he wants to do his job, even if that takes him away from his family. By doing his job he is taking care of his family, and sitting at a desk wasn't going to help anyone. Its not like that was going to help save his child. Plus his wife obviously supports his decision.

Plus if you have never been a team/group/pledge line/military company environment, then you will never undertsand the attitude that many have about not wanting to let their teammates down. Plus when you are a leader and rsponsible for other mens lives, you sometimes have tomake sacrifices. He did that for his troops.

The man is using logic to make a decision, not just his emotions and basing this all on how he feels......This is why men have been charged with being leaders of men and of families.

But then again, you are just women, and I don't expect you to understand that.....

Suge: Having served in the military and served as a Platoon Guide, I certainly do understand his decision. I also understand why he made that decision. Being the leader that I am, I would have chosen differently. At a later time, I could go back to my team. Not when my heart is pining away for my son.

I don't think he is running. I think he made a decision that someone in his shoes would make. Mine would be different. I don't criticize him for this choice...I just recognize that I could not do what he did.

There is no way I would leave my son, but I am his mother. There is a difference.

Conversely, if my HUSBAND were in that man's shoes, and the choice had to be made, I wouldn't encourage him to stay here when he had committed to serve.

That's my point Nita.......there is a difference between the mother and the father and their roles in rearing a child(if people would admit this the world would be much better off). I am not surprised that most women see this situation and say they would have stayed. You are supposed to stay. But as a man, I have to look at a situation for more than just how I "feel" at that moment. I am sure dude is worried, and concerned for his child. But he made a decision as a man based more than just on those feelings.

He still may be running away, but of course you're just men so you wouldn't understand or agree to that either.

So sad, I'm really praying for that family

Originally posted by Vinita
There is no way I would leave my son, but I am his mother. There is a difference.

Conversely, if my HUSBAND were in that man's shoes, and the choice had to be made, I wouldn't encourage him to stay here when he had committed to serve.

Right there, you summed up EXACTLY how I would feel if in this dreadful situation.

When I first arrived on my ship for the Navy. The Captain of my ship, during my indoctrination interview, first thing he told me is that your FAMILY comes first. Having been in the military I know exactly how the rules and politics are. They are not going to give him a medal for a making a decision on being away from his wife and kid during a difficult time.

Originally posted by pbla
When I first arrived on my ship for the Navy. The Captain of my ship, during my indoctrination interview, first thing he told me is that your FAMILY comes first. Having been in the military I know exactly how the rules and politics are. They are not going to give him a medal for a making a decision on being away from his wife and kid during a difficult time.

Very interesting pbla. It really depends on one's own priorities...some feel their work comes first, some put family first. Personally, I don't think nor feel anything should be more important than your family. Jobs and careers are not guaranteed, they come and go....your family is a lifetime commitment. This may be a reason why I was NEVER and NEVER will be military material. This country doesn't mean enough to me to die for it. I will NEVER put anything before my son, not even my mama...and those who know me, know how I feel about her.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
going off on a tangent...

Originally posted by Dtown Jag

I will NEVER put anything before my son, not even my mama...

What about your husband, if you decide to get married?

Originally posted by Suge
Why is he running because he wants to do his job, even if that takes him away from his family. By doing his job he is taking care of his family, and sitting at a desk wasn't going to help anyone. Its not like that was going to help save his child. Plus his wife obviously supports his decision.

Plus if you have never been a team/group/pledge line/military company environment, then you will never undertsand the attitude that many have about not wanting to let their teammates down. Plus when you are a leader and rsponsible for other mens lives, you sometimes have tomake sacrifices. He did that for his troops.

The man is using logic to make a decision, not just his emotions and basing this all on how he feels......This is why men have been charged with being leaders of men and of families.

But then again, you are just women, and I don't expect you to understand that.....

Suge you hit it on the head. As a man you have to do what is neccesary to take care of his family.

Back