Would you pay to watch the Magic City Classic?

In_The_662

Deeeeep In The Delta.....
It's certainly a possibility with the roll out of ESPN+. It's not known which college sports might be relegated to ESPN+ but there will be some that move to the new service from ESPN3 (which is provided by/paid for by your ISP)

And by pay I mean would pay the 4.99/month to watch it knowing that's the only place you could watch it...

Today ESPN announced the official launch date (April 12) of its new subscription streaming service, called ESPN+. In addition to studio shows and an on-demand library, ESPN+’s main draw is “thousands of live sports events,” which according to the release includes MLB, NHL, and MLS games, as well as rugby, cricket, tennis, and college sports.

ESPN+ isn’t exactly a solution for people who don’t have cable, since it will be missing all of the biggest games broadcast on actual TV. But it is a sports package available for people without a full-on cable subscription, and in that sense its $4.99-a-month price tag aims to make up some of the money lost from cord-cutters—the scourge of ESPN that’s been dragging down Disney profits of late, and contributed to a series of shortfalls in projected earnings, including Q1 of this year.

ESPN+ is also a way to get some extra money out of current subscribers, ones who might already be used to thousands of live sports over streaming. If this new service sounds a lot like ESPN3, the current online home—provided by many ISPs*—for thousands of sports that aren’t televised on ESPN’s TV channels, you’d be right.

While certain aspects, like the MLB and NHL games, are brand new, one of ESPN3's main draws is a wealth of college games in lesser-watched sports or conferences, as well as expanded coverage of Grand Slam tennis and global competitions like cricket. The network has so far been vague about which leagues and games will get cannibalized from ESPN3, or how many, but ESPN did confirm that some of ESPN3's programming will change.

https://deadspin.com/espns-new-4-99-a-month-service-is-taking-away-some-pro-1824262409

Last edited:

ESPN + is designed for people that want access to most of their programming that don’t have cable / satellite access. Your made up scenario seems unlikely based on my reading of the platform.

Do you really want to know if people will pay for the app? Or only pay for a team of interest is exclusively on the platform? Or just asking about the MCC, would someone pay for the app?

Last edited:
ESPN + is designed for people that want access to most of their programming that don’t have cable / satellite access. Your made up scenario seems unlikely based on my reading of the platform.

Do you really want to know if people will pay for the app? Or only pay for a team of interest is exclusively on the platform? Or just asking about the MCC, would someone pay for the app?

That's why I asked the question in the title of the thread. The MCC is already on ESPN3 (with replays on ESPNU) so it is possible that it could be siphoned from ESPN3 to ESPN+ like a lot of college football games/sports will be to make it more attractive to cord cutters. I didn't say it WOULD happen. Just that is it is possible

If you are a MLS fan, this will be much better than paying $90 a year for their package.

My answer:

Do you really want to know if people will pay for the app? - If I did not have cable / satellite - I would get the app because I like a lot of ESPN programming - especially access to minor sports and the ability to watch some of the smaller conferences across all sports.

Or only pay for a team of interest is exclusively on the platform? No, I would not spend that much money for a single team

Or just asking about the MCC, would someone pay for the app? No I would not spend that much money for a single game

I have paid $5 to watch SU baseball/bAsketball games at ULL, UNO, Tulane, Etc . I have no problem paying to watch my Jags. Now will I pay to watch another team, I doubt it.

That's why I asked the question in the title of the thread. The MCC is already on ESPN3 (with replays on ESPNU) so it is possible that it could be siphoned from ESPN3 to ESPN+ like a lot of college football games/sports will be to make it more attractive to cord cutters. I didn't say it WOULD happen. Just that is it is possible

If you are a MLS fan, this will be much better than paying $90 a year for their package.
Doesn't sound like that is what will happen. If you already subscribe through your cable provider, you'll still be able to watch these events through ESPN3.

Doesn't sound like that is what will happen. If you already subscribe through your cable provider, you'll still be able to watch these events through ESPN3.

ESPN+ is gonna be a separate channel from ESPN3 that you have to pay for. As someone said before, it will be a cord cutter alternative/add on especially for fans of MLS and fringe sports.

I don't see the SWAC as one of the conferences that will offer games at this point but it's possible that it will happen since ESPN is trying to band aid the bleeding due to cord cutters

I would wait to see if Sling or Fubo will have it (especially Fubo since they are tailored for sports)

ESPN+ is gonna be a separate channel from ESPN3 that you have to pay for. As someone said before, it will be a cord cutter alternative/add on especially for fans of MLS and fringe sports.

I don't see the SWAC as one of the conferences that will offer games at this point but it's possible that it will happen since ESPN is trying to band aid the bleeding due to cord cutters

I would wait to see if Sling or Fubo will have it (especially Fubo since they are tailored for sports)
I'm thinking it will be similar to HBO Now that is a subscription service for folks without cable as well as an app for cable subscribers to login and watch as well.

The Ivy League seems to be going all in with ESPN+

ESPN and the Ivy League have reached a comprehensive, 10-year deal for ESPN to become the exclusive national media rights partner for the conference, carrying more than 1,100 events annually from more than 30 sports on ESPN media platforms. The majority of those will be exclusively available on ESPN+, the new direct-to-consumer sports streaming service launching April 12 from The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International division in partnership with ESPN. The Ivy League will also have at least 24 events air on ESPN’s linear networks each year, including historic rivalries such as The Game: Harvard-Yale football, and new traditions like the men’s and women’s basketball conference tournaments.

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/news...experience-with-long-term-espn-agreement.aspx

not SWAC but it appears this will be a common theme going forward

The VMI-WCU baseball games originally scheduled for ESPN3 will now be shown on ESPN+ which is a new digital service as part of the redesigned ESPN app which is launching on April 12. To watch the VMI-WCU series, viewers are required to subscribe to the ESPN + service for 4.99/month or 49.99/year. Fans signing up within the first week of launch will get a 30-day free trial, after that point fans would still get a seven day free trial.

For more info click belowhttps://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2018/04/amex_espn/

The switch was made by ESPN in accordance with its contract agreement with the Southern Conference.

The league office issued a statement regarding the programming switch Tuesday. “Based on its agreement with the Southern Conference, ESPN has the contractual authority to shift collegiate athletic events from ESPN3 to the newly-launched ESPN+. This movement of content is also occurring at many other Division I conferences that partner with ESPN.”

I don't see anything wrong with having SWAC games on that channel. Especially if the SWAC could get a deal where the money is good for the conference. Having a few games there and a few on one of the other ESPN channels would be good for the conference.

I don't see anything wrong with having SWAC games on that channel. Especially if the SWAC could get a deal where the money is good for the conference. Having a few games there and a few on one of the other ESPN channels would be good for the conference.

I'm all for more games being televised or streamed on any medium.

I heard somewhere that all SWAC football & basketball games have to be broadcast by somebody because of challenge/review replay. Has anyone else seen that?

ESPN+ would be a great avenue to broadcast the SWAC's games

As long as it is live and weekly and not the taped delay mess that we get and have to stay up half the night to see the game that we already know the score of. If they are live weekly and it is good financially for the SWAC & MEAC, then that is something to think about!

Back