Women in Sports: ASU athlete strives to be leader, mentor

Olde Hornet

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...ports-ASU-athlete-strives-to-be-leader-mentor

Hurricane Katrina changed New Orleans and the Mis sissippi Gulf Coast forever, but while many of the stories generated by the 2005 disaster were sad social commentaries on the residents and the response by local, state and federal government agencies, there were other incidents that demonstrated the true character and flavor of Americans who rose out of the devastation more determined than ever.

Jasmine Wilson is one of the latter. An outside midfielder for the Alabama State women's soccer program, the former New Orleans resident, who now calls Atlanta home, used her chaotic life in the days after the hurricane as motivation.

"Going through a devastating time picks you up, it makes you stronger," she said. "It lets you know you can be knocked down and rise back up. I was always a go-getter, attention seeker, trying to get involved as a volunteer. But that experience -- I made it out alive, my family is OK, life is starting over -- it does so much for me mentally to keep me pushing. There's always an inside voice saying to keep going, keep going, because you know where you've been."

Back