Women & Cutting hair

MsJag4Jag

Do you think it is scriptural for a woman to cut her hair?

IF you say it is NOT scriptural or that it goes against scripture, do you believe it is against scripture for a woman to chemically treat her hair: perm & color?

What about men? Is it ok for them to wear long hair or keep it short?

<font color=fuschia>Comment on these as well.</font>

1 Corinthians 11:6
If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head.

1 Corinthians 11:6
If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I see that you are on a roll today :D

There is nothing wrong with a woman wearing her hair long or short. This scripture use to hold some women in "bondage"

But there is deeper "cultural" meaning to this scripture. Start reading from verse 1 - 16 "this is the entire story"

The unvailed women in Corinth were prostitues and many had had their head shaved. The women who had their heads uncovered were also prostitutes. So the sisters in the Church were saying "All things are lawful for me, therefore I will not cover my head"

Paul, says this should not be done because the vail is a mark of subjection, not the man, but to God.

Verses 7-9 - summary

The woman's place is to be a helpmeet [Genesis] to the man [husband]. She is to be the other part of him "no man is complete without his helpmeet" except where God has blessed him for a special work [Apostle Paul] Then it can be argued that Paul, was married. [that is another subject]

Listen to verse 10

We are being watched by God's Angles. "Gurdian Angles"

Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?[Hebrews 1:14]

The marriage relationship - The power of the woman is to hold her man and vice versa.

The become one [Genesis]

This scripture tears down "women lib" for a "Christian" woman. Men and women need each other.

I can briefly explain the rest if you desire.

Dr. H: I am just trying to keep it interesting over here. :) :wavey:
Yes, please explain further.

In these scriptures, THESE women were prostitutes? Is that what you were saying? IF so, let me ask you about this other scripture regarding women in the church.

I Timothy 2
9I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.
11A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12<b>I</b> do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. 13For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15But women[1] will be saved[2] through childbearing--if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

Timothy is addressing whom in this passage? ALL WOMEN ever or the ones in his church in THAT time? Is it the same as the other scripture where you said it was ok for the woman to cut her hair?

Elaborate. PLEASE. Thanks.

J4J said:

Because of the challenge to the idea of not allowing interpretation of the intent of the scriptures. On some issues it seems okay to make an interpretaion while on others people are holding firm to the letter of the law.

Gotcha! I am hoping to find some good answers or at least something to think about. Join me and ask some more questions. Thanks!
jag4life said:
Because of the challenge to the idea of not allowing interpretation of the intent of the scriptures. On some issues it seems okay to make an interpretaion while on others people are holding firm to the letter of the law.

I have not seen any scripture that says a women should not cut her hair. I have seen scripture that says "A woman's hair is the glory of her husband."

As far as men having long hair. The scripture says "It is a shame for men to have long hair."

Whenever you read books of Romans, Corinithians Ephesians well a majority of the NT Letters, you are dealing with heathans that are now Christians and they are bringing some of their customs and triditions into the Church. These are the same people that did not have a problem with Homosexuality, Orgies, beastality, Worshipping Zeus, Statues, Animals etc. In the OT God sent Japhet packing to the Isle of the Gentiles, [that is why Europe is called a Gentile Nation] seperating him fro Shem and Ham

In 1 Timothy 2

If you have time read up on the history of the Aphrodite and the Vestal Virgins [Temple Prostitutes] at Corinth [Heathans] and the City of Corinth, a very immoral city. They made whoring into a religion. The reason God through Paul, said that a woman should have her head covered was so she would not be assoicated with the religion of the Aphrodite, [Aphrodisia = a sexual desire, normally assoicated with Venus] This is where we get the word Aphrodisiac - love is a drug and it can become an addiction.

All of this has to be considered when studying the scriptures. Actually this goes hand in hand with Corinthians.

Now he is addressing how women should pray. [Coustoms and Traditions - ]

9-10 How women should pray

However, praying is not the issue, he is saying how they should pray in public. His emphasis will be upon their inner adornment and not their outward dress. In a nut shell, Paul is saying, if women are to pray, they should not dress from the viewpoint of appealing to God in a sexual or physical way. Notice the word 'Modest Apparel" means well arranged, of good behavior.

11-12

Has to so with learning and teaching of doctrine [1 Corinthians 14:34]

13-15

Will finish later "off to church for a VBS meeting"

We have to learn how to seperate customs and tradition from Doctrine

Back