Women & Church

Sometimes these people are NEW CHRISTIANS whereas some of us oldtimers might come off a little judgemental about what they should wear...when all they are looking for is PEACE in Jesus Christ. I never trip on what someone has on. It might make me look twice if it is distasteful (cleavage out, too short)...etc. However, some of these people are looking for Christ too...so who am I to judge simply because they may not "know the rules"...

My pastor always invites people to sit in the choir stand when we run out of sitting space in the overflow, hall and sanctuary...He says, "Come sit in the choir stand...All brothers and sisters WITH LONG DRESSES/SKIRTS or slacks on..."

To play a lil devil's advocate with Dr H.

Wouldn't conforming to the world not only mean conforming to the current "fleshly" fashion trends but also not conforming to ideas such as appropriate dress for worship. Suppose the type of garments worn are not at all in bad tatse with regard to what it may reveal but they are less than "your finest"....for instance jeans and an un-tucked polo.

To Dacontinent...thanks...I was never sure of where that idea came from.

I see maybe there are two different ideas about inappropriate dress. I do agree that no one should be dressed in church in such a way that they bring attention to themselves. I do not believe women should attend church in provacative clothing...but I don't expect them to look like nuns either. The man CAN control his mind also.

Now as far as the fashion industry....they are becoming more and more skimpy with clothing and I know it is probably tough dressing your daughter. But in my opinion the clothes are still a choice for older women. I always tell my girl she has perfected the art of being "business sexy". She does a very good job of dressing appropiately for work,business, and church while still causing me to go :flippy: .

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I know some old folks who'd pitch a fit in my church! Blue Jeans, tennis shoes, work clothes (especially those who work overnight Saturday night), some Gigantic hats with suits, slacks and nice blouses, ...

My pastor says he hates to wear a suit. When he has one on it is usually mother's day! HE's so casual. I JUST LOVE IT! He wears dockers and polo type shirts, tucked in with a belt on...He rarely has on a suit. Our assistant pastors are casual too. One of them wears a suit all the time. Another is blind and rarely wears a suit.

BlaquePrince: When I say distasteful... I mean cleavage out or so shirt you can see the sun! :D

When a person ACCEPTS Christ into their life and they choose to become a member of a particular congregation, during the orientation is when they are informed of the guidelines in which that congregation follow.

Why would a person have a problem with compliance if the particular congregation in which they have chosen stipulates a certain attire?

Maybe I'm not understanding what the big deal is about churches having different guidelines. :confused:

I thought the question was about wearing slacks/dresses to church? When did inappropiate dress become a part of the equation?

Just what is the topic? :confused:

J4J said:
SLT: I think it just flowed into the conversation. :)

J4J, holla at your sista when the topic comes back....:lol:

Because I ain't trying to wear no hoochie mama outfits to church.... :flippy:

SLT said:
When a person ACCEPTS Christ into their life and they choose to become a member of a particular congregation, during the orientation is when they are informed of the guidelines in which that congregation follow.

Why would a person have a problem with compliance if the particular congregation in which they have chosen stipulates a certain attire?
I think the key word is "IF". Most churches don't specify an attire. Most just figure that you will look at the folks around you and figure it out. That goes back to my good sense not being so common any more. Additionally, orientation is a relatively new thing. Many older and more established congregations don't even have them.

SLT said:
I thought the question was about wearing slacks/dresses to church? When did inappropiate dress become a part of the equation?

Just what is the topic? :confused:

I am the guilty party. :goof: :eek:

Sorry. I will try not to do it again.

dacontinent said:
I think the key word is "IF". Most churches don't specify an attire. Most just figure that you will look at the folks around you and figure it out. That goes back to my good sense not being so common any more.

Yeah, you're right...some don't make it known if there are guidelines for their particular congregation. But we do....it is included in the new member packet and our pastor conducts new member orientations every Wednesday before Bible study. We don't force anyone to follow it...we just inform them.

I am the guilty party. :goof: :eek:

Sorry. I will try not to do it again.

:lol: I think we are all on the same page when it comes to dressing inappropiately for worship services...ex.halter tops, daisy dukes, mini-mini skirts, etc...:swink:

I didn't mean to get so far off topic :lol: But what I was really getting at was the root of women wearing pants to church and not quite understanding why a church should have a dress code not whether you should follow it or not. But I was dealing more with casual vs. dress than talkin about makin a rap video in church. :lol:

I think you are at least partially right. I think at least one more part is that we have stopped preaching and teaching that God has limits.

Bro, you hit the nail on the head, people do not realize that God has a limit and gets angry. There are hundreds of examples in the OT that illustrate that God has a limit and he will not continue to tolerate disobedience. We have survived thus for on Gods longsuffering and grace. I am reminded of the scripture ?God shall not be mocked? that means to thumb your nose at God. The other part is that some preachers / elders have allowed this type of behavior infiltrate the purity of the church.

The problem is ?so-called Christians? and the world, as a whole does not fear God. I find it interesting how congregations will sing the old songs of Zion Oh How I Love Jesus and so at the same time wearing dresses so short and tight [never mind].

What people have to realize is when we preach the word ?the scriptures tell us to dress modestly? those are not our standards; they are God?s standards. When they say ?that preacher? cannot tell me how to dress, actually they are saying that God cannot tell me how to dress, because he set the standards for Christians.

J4J

True they are ?New Converts / Christians? that why Jesus said:

It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me. John 6:45

Individuals should be taught about God before they are baptized.

PRINCE

I like the words ?bad taste? there is nothing wrong with wearing jeans and a Polo Shirt to service. However, at the Church I attend we suggest all the men dress in a suite or a shirt and tie to morning service, because your name may be on program to conduct a portion of the worship service. During the evening service the same. If you are not scheduled to conduct part of the worship service, you can wear whatever as long as it is not revealing.

I know God is not pleased with the Church.

SLT
Because I ain't trying to wear no hoochie mama outfits to church
:lol: we will see when I am in Sippi this Summer.

PRINCE

I like the words ?bad taste? there is nothing wrong with wearing jeans and a Polo Shirt to service. However, at the Church I attend we suggest all the men dress in a suite or a shirt and tie to morning service, because your name may be on program to conduct a portion of the worship service. During the evening service the same. If you are not scheduled to conduct part of the worship service, you can wear whatever as long as it is not revealing.

I know God is not pleased with the Church.

:lol: we will see when I am in Sippi this Summer.[/QUOTE]

I can agree with that...you did say before than you were a Church of Christ member right? I had become used to seeing the men serve in suits or shirt and tie. When I started attending a white congregation near PV in the country most of the people were Farmers and came in wearing jeans and served in jeant too. I then started attending with a congregation that was in Houston and also mostly white....but they wore jeans to :lol:. Soon I noticed that the youger guys at the church I grew up in had grown up and were now serving....and guess what they were wearing :lol:

Some people need to keep in mind that some women might not have a diverse wardrobe and they are attending church in what they have. Everybody has not been taught what the proper attire is anywhere so they don't carry that perspective with them when they shop. Don't forget get that we have hoochie mamas that that are MOMMAS and they clothe their daughters to look like them.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Whoo yeah. Dr. H....Some toes may be stepped on in here.... :uhoh:

Every church for itself, but I'm Catholic, so we can come in jeans and a t-shirt. Some people come in sweatshirt and matching sweatpants. Some people wear suits. You see some of everything in our church. I usually try to look decent on Sundays with a nice Spring dress or jeans and a nice blouse or something. My grandmother in L.A., California goes to a church where they can't wear pants....I know this girl who was on the basketball team while I was in college who never wore pants unless she had to wear shorts for her game, after that, it was back to long skirts and dresses....:confused: I assume it was a religion thing.

Can someone actually who knows, explain WHY this is? I've never understood it.

These are MY personal feelings from Personal Experience

I can't speak for NOBODY else but for myself.

But I've found that when I tried to follow what the church says about "this or about that," that it never lasted... meaning that scripture of "being ye transformed by the renewing your mind" didn't hit home until I let GOD deal with me--- not members of a church or following a church guideline.

I believe that if a person honestly seeks God, God will deal with that individual on how they should walk upright,--- and that's dealing with how to act, how to dress, what NOT to wear... not just in church but period.

Nothing wrong with following your church rules (so please don't get me wrong), but we need to first let God have rule in our hearts. We shouldn't be so quick to jump on those who are babies in Christ on learning how to dress--- that's ONE of the ways we SCARE people off on accepting salvation, especially young people! They think they can't DO NOTHING! And it shouldn't be like that, because being SAVED is a beautiful thing! But some people may not know that, if you're first or quick to approach them about dress codes.

If I'm looking like a $2 whore and seeking God, God KNOWS how to change that inner man and give the very reflection of someone who's Christ-like. He's done it.
I'm so glad God is not like man, 'cause man CAN lead you down a ditch-- have you giving the appearance of so-called holiness and still not grasping what it truly MEANS to live saved--- 'cause that's what this WHOLE thing is about--- Accepting Christ and making it to heaven!

Re: These are MY personal feelings from Personal Experience

CriTAUcal said:

But I've found that when I tried to follow what the church says about "this or about that," that it never lasted... meaning that scripture of "being ye transformed by the renewing your mind" didn't hit home until I let GOD deal with me--- not members of a church or following a church guideline.

I believe that if a person honestly seeks God, God will deal with that individual on how they should walk upright,--- and that's dealing with how to act, how to dress, what NOT to wear... not just in church but period.

Nothing wrong with following your church rules (so please don't get me wrong), but we need to first let God have rule in our hearts. We shouldn't be so quick to jump on those who are babies in Christ on learning how to dress--- that's ONE of the ways we SCARE people off on accepting salvation, especially young people! They think they can't DO NOTHING! And it shouldn't be like that, because being SAVED is a beautiful thing! But some people may not know that, if you're first or quick to approach them about dress codes.

If I'm looking like a $2 whore and seeking God, God KNOWS how to change that inner man and give the very reflection of someone who's Christ-like. He's done it.
I'm so glad God is not like man, 'cause man CAN lead you down a ditch-- have you giving the appearance of so-called holiness and still not grasping what it truly MEANS to live saved--- 'cause that's what this WHOLE thing is about--- Accepting Christ and making it to heaven!

I think the distasteful dress was meant for those that know better. Because there are those that know right from wrong and just refuse to do it. I don't think anyone on this board judges or critique those who are new Christians. I really don't think that is the intent.

But this also goes back my original post...

SLT said:
We don't wear slacks.

Ain't got nothing to do with your soul...we just don't wear slacks. That is a church rule at MY church and I am obedient to it.

Nothing more....:D

It is just what WE do. Ain't got nothing to do with anybody else's attire! :)

You do you....and we'll do us.

CriTAUcal said:

I like the way you put that. God has the power to change anything including our hearts. Thanks Crit!

SLT said:
I think the distasteful dress was meant for those that know better. I don't think anyone on this board judges or critique those who are new Christians. I really don't think that was the intent.

I didn't misunderstand what anybody wrote. That's why I said "My personal feelings from my Personal Experience."
I'm not making excuses for anybody, but some folks really don't know any better. All I'm saying and generally speaking, don't be so quick to jump on somebody about what they wear (PANTS, included). Let somebody get in the door good and hear The Word before changing up the dress code! That's one of the main reasons, some people don't come to church and the excuse they use--- "I ain't got nothing to wear." It's because some folks don't feel comfortable being in church, knowing Christians got something to say (verbally or with the eyes) about their attire.

Okay...I see we're still talking about bad taste in attire and not about wearing slacks.

Imma back out until the original topic comes back. :bump:

SLT said:
Okay...I see we're still talking about bad taste in attire.

Imma back out until the original topic comes back. :bump:

Don't go sis!!! :D

'Cause I'm actually talking about PANTS too!

CriTAUcal said:
I didn't misunderstand what anybody wrote. That's why I said "My personal feelings from my Personal Experience."
I'm not making excuses for anybody, but some folks really don't know any better. All I'm saying and generally speaking, don't be so quick to jump on somebody about what they wear (PANTS, included). Let somebody get in the door good and hear The Word before changing up the dress code! That's one of the main reasons, some people don't come to church and the excuse they use--- "I ain't got nothing to wear." It's because some folks don't feel comfortable being in church, knowing Christians got something to say (verbally or with the eyes) about their attire.

I have some relatives who right now do not attend church because "I aint got nothing to wear" ....

CriTAUcal said:
Let somebody get in the door good and hear The Word before changing up the dress code!

The dress code does not apply to those who are not members of that congregation.

But for the members, and if YOU decide to become a part of that congregation, then the guidelines that they follow should be explained to you. Like I said before, it is not forced on you and you DON'T have to follow it.

Ya'll act like people are standing over them with a gavel yelling...DON"T WEAR PANTS!" Be realistic, ya'll.....:rolleyes: Just because they are informed does not mean it is being screamed at them and enforced. The Church is not the gestapo! :lol:

And if you CHOOSE to tell them you have nothing to wear, Christians from that particular congregation WILL step in and assist you if you don't mind a helping hand. Nobody is going to lock the church doors or chastize you because you do just the opposite.

Churches, just like cities, schools, etc., have guidelines/rules. If the attire is one of those, why are you contesting it? Is it that serious? Oh okay, they waited until you became a member and changed their guidelines. :look: We as members should have no problem being obedient, that is IF the LORD has truly pricked our hearts.

And don't nobody else say nothing about bad taste in attire. You're making this thread U-turn like a mug! :kaioken: :p

Back